Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    I agree. Batman trains the same way in case he has to face his comrades in battle. That training was not in vain.

Unless there is a damn good reason for the fight, I personally don't like seeing heroes against each other but I don't see anything wrong with taking such precautions. Also, it improves your technique against other various opponents.
    Exactly. If they can handle themselves in sims against the Avengers then the students should be well equipped to face other threats.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brightside View Post
    Because it's good to train against anyone, for who knows when they're ready to impose a anti-mutant gov. law, or if they're brainwashed, or etc. It's shown they train against Skrulls as well. If anything, it's to keep his students well footed against any team.
    Yes, yes, that's what I mean. It was a rhetorical question.

In real world, military use scenaro involving neighbors countries even if they are in prefectly good terms with them. People just take it more seriously and training is more effective if the scenario is based on real world.

Anyway, given the relations between NXS and the Avengers, it make perfect sense that they have training scenario against the Avengers. And you can bet that the Avengers are also doing training against the X-Men (as well as building weapons specificaly against X-Men powers...).

It's not Scott or the other adults that choosed that scenario : they werent there. It's the kid that picked it up. If they wanted, they could have choosen the one were they fight against Pokemon. So nobody should blame Cyclops for that... lol

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KaleRylan View Post
    This actually didn't bother me. Oh it makes no sense but it didn't bother me. Because upon reading beast's final line I had what might be a bit of an epiphany.

I think Bendis is trying to tell a specific story. People always throw out the idea that mutants aren't like real minorities cause their potentially very dangerous and so on. But the comics have never REALLY pulled the trigger on that. Not in a specific centered way. There are of course freakishly powerful mutants, and the idea that this guy is stronger than Jean, Nate, Wanda, and Franklin is silly. But those characters are always related some sort of themed story. I think Bendis here wanted to create a story about the X-men's methods and goals and what it would mean to meet a mutant with the power of god. And I think he didn't want to use an existing character because that would overshadow the simple question of what this meant for the x-men AS X-MEN.

If it was franklin it would become a family story. If it was Jean it would be about love and sacrifice and so on. If it was Wanda it would be about foregiveness, etc. By making it a new character it becomes entirely about what this means to the dream of Xavier and the methods of the X-men. He's cheating and ignoring other technical truths of the universe. But if this is the story he's trying to tell, and it seems to be so far, I think it's an interesting idea that I'm curious to see how it ends.

Of course, this all sort of relies on Malloy being some sort of one-off for this story. Either dying or disappearing or whatever once his role as a plot device is finished. If he joins the cast or something after this then yeah, he's a stupid character since we've already got several reality-controlling/altering mutants running around and that's about as powerful as anything could logically be.

So I'm still on board barring the ending. And I'm aware Bendis tends to flub endings, but this isn't so much about the quality of the ending as the nature of it, so he might pull it off.
    I agree with all of this. It's a great story that ties into the very core of the mutant debate. Yes, Bendis might mess up the ending, but right now it's moving to a powerful place.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brightside View Post
    Because it's good to train against anyone, for who knows when they're ready to impose a anti-mutant gov. law, or if they're brainwashed, or etc. It's shown they train against Skrulls as well. If anything, it's to keep his students well footed against any team.
    I would get behind it, if they were effectively training "for the days the Avengers get brainwashed/possessed/turn full-on Méphisto".
    That's kind-of the point I keep making with SHIELD having contingencies against any type of threats.

Except they don't train because of that.

They train (at least, according to the Cuckoos) in case the Avengers get in the way of their mutant "revolution".
    Hello there.
    "Be ready to stomp anyone who might oppose us (eventually)" is more a Doom-like line of thought, than an X-Men, let alone an heroic, line of thought.
    "I don't agree with any of those simplistic labels" is also very Doom-like.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

BANNED

Yeah no that is an assumption but there is no proof the Avengers are simulating fights against the X-men.

Quote Originally Posted by People Of The Earth View Post
    I would get behind it, if they were effectively training "for the days the Avengers get brainwashed/possessed/turn full-on Méphisto".
    That's kind-of the point I keep making with SHIELD having contingencies against any type of threats.

They train (at least, according to the Cuckoos) in case the Avengers get in the way of their mutant "revolution".
    Hello there.
    "Be ready to stomp anyone who might oppose us (eventually)" is more a Doom-like line of thought, than an X-Men, let alone an heroic, line of thought.
    Well, this training its going to come in handy in AXIS #7- 8, ISNT IT ?

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    Yeah no that is an assumption but there is no proof the Avengers are simulating fights against the X-men.
    Well, Iron Man had already ready those anti-telepathy nanites in the first fight of AvX............................................... ......................
    Last edited by dragonmp93; 09-17-2014 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post

Well, how long i know, Batman always carries a small piece of kryptonite on his suit.

And anyways, is not like the they wouldnt try to kill everyone on the way just to get Cyclops.
    Batman does this in case some of his JL teamates get brainwashed/possessed/pull a Méphisto, and that's a good thing.
    He doesn't do that so that they don't get in his way if he want to do something and they oppose him.
    Otherwise, there would be no JL anymore, given all the times he was challenged by Aquaman, GL or Superman on various topics.
    That's not the same.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"No justice, no peace."

BANNED

It's because they're terrorists, dog!

it's completely fair to train against possible avenger attacks since the war with the avengers the other summer. they can't be trusted.

Quote Originally Posted by DurararaFTW View Post
    Firestar earns major creds for evidently having been the only one that paid attention during AvX.

Icemans comments were not a way to force Scott Summers to deal with what happened. He just wants Scott Summers to die. And if it's not Matthew's hand that kills Scott Summers then somebody else will have too.

I dunno why he can't just say Scott or Cyclops, so annoying.

And uh, maybe we do need to start worrying about Rachel. Matthew just telepathically iced Exodus in an instant.
    Ice man just committed mass murder and he is ragging on Scott for keeling one man? Nobody calls him on that ?

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    We know the Unity Team trains against Spider-Man villains like Venom, Octopus, or Mysterio.

I cannot imagine the outrage if they were training to fight X-Men in their simulations however....

"No justice, no peace."

Quote Originally Posted by People Of The Earth View Post

Hello there.
    That's might be why Magneto put the program in the simulator. That's probably not Hijack and Goldballs training goal. And I don't remember Cyclops telling them to pick this simulation to train with while he's gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    So were the kiddos doing a simulation against the Avengers back at Bunker X, like people were guessing?
    Yes, and trauma couldn't figure out why they were training against the Avengers, despite the Avengers attacks on Utopia and the JGS

BANNED

Cyclops looks like he's crying here.

I haven't gotten my copy yet, so I may be stepping out of line(?) but from the perspective of the kids, they've been threatened on more than one occasion now by Avengers and/or SHIELD to be taken into custody. So training to defend against those same individuals looking to incarcerate you isn't totally outlandish.

Unfortuante, sure, but kind of understandable.