Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Ant-Man (2015) - All Heroes Great And Small

Hiya there, everyone. After searching through about 5 pages at the back of TV/Film here, and couldn't find anything that would constitute a general Ant-Man film thread, so thought I'd start this up for everyone to talk about any news, or the film itself, thoughts etc, here, whatever they be.

The cast includes:

Paul Rudd as Scott Lang/Ant-Man - a thief who acquires a substance, invented by Hank Pym, that allows him to shrink and grow in size.

Michael Douglas as Doctor Hank Pym/Ant-Man - an entomologist and physicist, inventor of Ant-Man technology in 1963, mentor of Scott Lang.

Evangeline Lilly as Hope Van Dyne - daughter of Hank Pym.

Corey Stoll as Darren Cross/Yellowjacket - a former protege of Hank Pym, takes over his company, taking in a different, some say evil, direction and acquiring the same technology as Scott, becoming Yellowjacket.

That's the main cast, as far as I know, but it also includes:

John SLattery, who played Howard Stark in Iron Man 2.

Bobby Cannavale in an unknown role.

Michael Pena in an unknown role.

Abby Ryder Fortson in an unknown role.

Judy Greer in an unknown role.

David Dastmalchian in an unknown role.

Wood Harris in an unknown role.

Gregg Turkington in an unknown role.

T.I. in an unknown role.

The synopsis, from Marvel and Den Of Geek, is as follows:

"Armed with the astonishing ability to shrink in scale but increase in strength, con-man Scott Lang (Rudd) must embrace his inner-hero and help his mentor, Dr. Hank Pym (Douglas), protect the secret behind his spectacular Ant-Man suit from a new generation of towering threats. Against seemingly insurmountable obstacles, Pym and Lang must plan and pull off a heist that will save the world"

It's directed by Peyton Reed and will be released 17th July, 2015.

Despite all the controversy over seemingly no Jan, or Jan as Wasp, an older Hank and Edgar Wrights' departure, I'm looking forward to the film and think it could be fun. Much more chance than another controversial 2015 comic-book film, which I'll refrain from naming.

Could be a fun mentor-student superhero film and heist film, plus a melding of past - 1963 - and present - likely, 2015 itself. Very different, in ways, to what's usually done, or has been done before.

I hope it does well, despite everything.

Honestly after seeing how well Marvel did with GotG I am actually hopeful that this will end up being a good film. And being the movie to follow Avengers 2 it should hopefully get a good boost from that and do well at the box office.
    Thennary Speaks - Video reviews for comic books, anime & manga, J-pop and other topics

I'm looking forward to this a lot. It has a really nice cast, and while I'm still sad about Wright going, I do think Reed will surprise people. (it's too bad he didn't get to do his Fantastic Four movie)

Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon View Post
    I'm looking forward to this a lot. It has a really nice cast, and while I'm still sad about Wright going, I do think Reed will surprise people. (it's too bad he didn't get to do his Fantastic Four movie)
    Was Reed actually attached to an FF movie at one point? I take it either Tim Story or Josh Trank took over?

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    Was Reed actually attached to an FF movie at one point? I take it either Tim Story or Josh Trank took over?
    Yes, he was originally slated to direct the 2005 movie, but executive meddling caused him to leave. His pitch impressed Feige a lot, and there's an article that goes into depth on what the script for that movie would have been:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit...news/?a=103834

Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon View Post
    Yes, he was originally slated to direct the 2005 movie, but executive meddling caused him to leave. His pitch impressed Feige a lot, and there's an article that goes into depth on what the script for that movie would have been:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit...news/?a=103834
    Looked across it there, might read more later.

But, thank you, Harpoon, appreciate it.

Do you think his Fantastic Four would've been better than Storys'?

And, does the script give you any impression on what Ant-Man'll be like?

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    Looked across it there, might read more later.

But, thank you, Harpoon, appreciate it.

Do you think his Fantastic Four would've been better than Storys'?

And, does the script give you any impression on what Ant-Man'll be like?
    Yes, I think it would've been much, much better.

And it's kind of hard to tell just off that recap, but I think that Ant-Man will be fun and character-driven.

So, who does everyone think Martin Donovan'll be playing? As the latest cast member, in such a pivotal role, I wonder...

Hardly, I know this is reaching, Eric O'Grady, Ant-Man III?

Total Film were speculating that it'd be a bit late in the filming to be much more than a few scenes, or a cameo, or post-credit scene. Though believe that usually keep their cards closer to the chest than that in regard to the last.

Also, something from T.I.:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit...news/?a=109255

Talking, briefly, about his role.

I really want this movie to be good. I think it will be.

But as a comics fan, I can't help but shudder at all the changes they have made to comics canon, just because Edgar Wright liked Scott Lang. I still think that, to please the fans, this was not the way to go. There's too many changes, too many made-up or obscure characters, and those who do actually exist in canon seem unrecognizable so far, from what I've read and little I've seen. I'm afraid that it will feel like watching Agents of SHIELD (constantly looking for a familiar superhero and finding none...)

But for the average moviegoer, the movie will undoubtedly be good. I'm sure of it. Comics fans will get out of the theatre with a WTF? expression on their faces, not having recognized the heroes they're familiar with.

I do wish Marvel will prove me wrong though.

Extraordinary Member

I'm still hoping that it does well.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Jay View Post
    But as a comics fan, I can't help but shudder at all the changes they have made to comics canon, just because Edgar Wright liked Scott Lang. I still think that, to please the fans, this was not the way to go. There's too many changes, too many made-up or obscure characters, and those who do actually exist in canon seem unrecognizable so far, from what I've read and little I've seen. I'm afraid that it will feel like watching Agents of SHIELD (constantly looking for a familiar superhero and finding none...)

But for the average moviegoer, the movie will undoubtedly be good. I'm sure of it. Comics fans will get out of the theatre with a WTF? expression on their faces, not having recognized the heroes they're familiar with.

I do wish Marvel will prove me wrong though.
    I echo this sentiment. As it stands, I have no desire to see this film since my favorite characters are either dead or really old.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Medusa View Post
    I echo this sentiment. As it stands, I have no desire to see this film since my favorite characters are either dead or really old.
    Jan and Hank?

Yeah, I can understand with the latter, very much. I mean, first time your hero gets adapted, you (w)ant them done right. You want them to be the right age, the right personality, or look.

And, even if we got that in Avengers: United We Stand, or Avengers: Earths' Mightiest Heroes, it could well be, sadly, lacking for the majority of the film. Be it down to Edgar Wright, Marvel Studios, or someone else entirely.

I do think, all the same, at least we're getting MICHAEL DOUGLAS of all people to play him. I mean, if the film was wanting some skilled, acclaimed high calibre actor, then they have one right there. Corey Stoll probably too.

And, we don't know for sure about Janet, as from what we've heard, we could assume, speculate, worry, all that. But, until we hear from Peyton Reed, or Kevin Feige, or even from the very film itself, we don't know for sure. And, sure, if Judi Dench, or someone - not necessarily her, but age and calibre - were there, playing her, would that not, at least, be a good thing?

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

could be good.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderByte View Post
    Lethal. The look, pose and all fit just perfectly.