Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Default Pre-52 as one of the Earths of the Multiverse

First, I hope so. Second, why not? Third, I think it's going to happen because I don't see how else you can read these quotes from Newsarama:

"Giffen: No, no. It's Beetle and Booster. This is them. Basically, a cryogenic chamber is found on Takron-Galtos while they're excavating, and inside are Beetle and Booster. It's Ted and Michael. It's really, really them. It's not clones. It's not the parasite thing.

It's not a trick. It's not an imaginary story.

Nrama: But… those characters are from before the New 52 reboot.

Giffen: That's right. So what does that have to say about what universe Justice League 3000 is taking place on? Maybe a universe where, if you went back and looked at Superman in the 21st Century, he might be wearing his underpants on the outside.

But before you get too excited, remember that in this universe, Beetle didn't get shot in the head.

Nrama: OK, so what I'm hearing is, Justice League 3000 doesn't take place in the future of the New 52 universe. It takes place in the future of a universe that's like the pre-New 52 universe — where Blue Beetle is Ted Kord, and he has the familiar history with Booster Gold. And this is really those two characters.

Giffen: Yes. It's actually Blue Beetle and Booster Gold."

Spectacular Member

If Blue Beetle didn't get shot in the head, then it's NOT the pre-reboot universe. Just a very similar one.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stazz View Post
    If Blue Beetle didn't get shot in the head, then it's NOT the pre-reboot universe. Just a very similar one.
    Fair enough, bit it is a universe VERY similar to the pre-52 it seems. It makes sense - the whole goal of the Multiversity is that every story published by DC actually happened, just sometimes in different universes. Why wouldn't there be a pre-52 universe?
    Last edited by AlexanderLuthor; 09-17-2014 at 10:29 AM.

BANNED

Nrama: OK, so what I'm hearing is, Justice League 3000 doesn't take place in the future of the New 52 universe. It takes place in the future of a universe that's like the pre-New 52 universe — where Blue Beetle is Ted Kord, and he has the familiar history with Booster Gold. And this is really those two characters.

Giffen: Yes. It's actually Blue Beetle and Booster Gold."
    It's the pre new 52 before all the darkness and no-sense started

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    It's the pre new 52 before all the darkness and no-sense started
    So... a pre-Didio universe?

I'm not sure how to react to this. I don't think that DC has a clear path about how to deal with the multiverse. Morrison is doing his work but on the other side, DiDio and co give green light to everything about parallel earths without see which is the structure of the whole.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    Fair enough, bit it is a universe VERY similar to the pre-52 it seems. It makes sense - the whole goal of the Multiversity is that every story published by DC actually happened, just sometimes in different universes. Why wouldn't there be a pre-52 universe?
    Even if all there was was the New 52 DCU, every story that was published before the reboot still happened if you think of it as one big giant story arc that got undone by a couple of time traveling incidents.

Just make it an Earth nearly identical to the post-Crisis verse minus the existence of any Crises. No Crises=no Infinite Crisis=no Countdown to Infinite Crisis=no Identity Crisis.

That gives you your classic blue and gold minus the angst of the mid to late 2000s. Done and done.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    I agree with this.
    And I also agree with others that the universe Beetle and Booster are from is pre-Identity Crisis.
    You could have your classic JLA teams, your JSA, your Wolfman Titans, and the full run of Giffen/DeMatteis' JLI stories from JL #1 up to JLA Classified #9... and the New 52 Earth-0 can continue on, as is, oblivious to the other universe existing.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Spectacular Member

It's an intriguing thing, that sadly has problems embedded. For a start, would this new version of pre-NU52 be a copy, or the EXACT same universe that just shuffled places with another universe in the multiverse? (from the centre to a new place). The main problem is; this Earth is no longer the centre of the multiverse. Much of its grand events/storylines were based on it being the centre of the multiverse, and threats from multiversally singular enemies (Darkseid/Anti-Montior, faction of Monitors, Mandraak etc.) Would the heroes of this world remember the events, but be confused of their new place in the multiverse? You can't just say it's the PRE-NU52 but without these Crisis events either, since these events are what shaped characters and such. Power Girl... Barry Allen's death & rebirth... Superboy Prime... etc. The only way it really works as a universe in the NU52 is if it was the original shifted places in the multiverse from top spot and they remember everything from their perspective, but to the rest of the multiverse they'd appear to be mad or something. They'd have knowledge of the last multiverse, but the other worlds would remember nothing. A bit like the weirdness with Earth 2 post-crisis. Would even Darkseid himself remember?

Also, what of Barry Allen. If it's an exact replica just before the point of Flashpoint, then there's no Barry Allen in that universe. In fact, the Barry Allen of the NU52 would technically be Barry Allen of the Two Earths (NU52 & PRE-NU52). If he remembers the truth...where would his loyalties lay? In fact, this would make a really good story.

Sorry if I didn't explain myself properly (I have trouble explaining what I mean), but hopefully I got some of what I was trying to explain across.
    Last edited by Master X; 09-17-2014 at 11:27 AM.

I was under the impression that Justice League 3000 and Batman Beyond were part of their own universe anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by PyroSikTh View Post
    I was under the impression that Justice League 3000 and Batman Beyond were part of their own universe anyway...
    I would stick with this until further notice.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Master X View Post
    It's an intriguing thing, that sadly has problems embedded. For a start, would this new version of pre-NU52 be a copy, or the EXACT same universe that just shuffled places with another universe in the multiverse? (from the centre to a new place). The main problem is; this Earth is no longer the centre of the multiverse. Much of its grand events/storylines were based on it being the centre of the multiverse, and threats from multiversally singular enemies (Darkseid/Anti-Montior, faction of Monitors, Mandraak etc.) Would the heroes of this world remember the events, but be confused of their new place in the multiverse? You can't just say it's the PRE-NU52 but without these Crisis events either, since these events are what shaped characters and such. Power Girl... Barry Allen's death & rebirth... Superboy Prime... etc. The only way it really works as a universe in the NU52 is if it was the original shifted places in the multiverse from top spot and they remember everything from their perspective, but to the rest of the multiverse they'd appear to be mad or something. They'd have knowledge of the last multiverse, but the other worlds would remember nothing. A bit like the weirdness with Earth 2 post-crisis. Would even Darkseid himself remember?

Also, what of Barry Allen. If it's an exact replica just before the point of Flashpoint, then there's no Barry Allen in that universe. In fact, the Barry Allen of the NU52 would technically be Barry Allen of the Two Earths (NU52 & PRE-NU52). If he remembers the truth...where would his loyalties lay? In fact, this would make a really good story.

Sorry if I didn't explain myself properly (I have trouble explaining what I mean), but hopefully I got some of what I was trying to explain across.
    Among other problems.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Odd Man View Post
    So... a pre-Didio universe?
    Didio wasn't in charge when Booster Gold's arm was ripped off by Doomsday.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Among other problems.
    I think us guys who've been around a while could follow it (even if we couldn't articulate it), but most of the new guys who joined at the NU52's brains may explode.