Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    I don't see anyone else being forced to explain their choices, and any poll should account for discrepancies/false answers with a +/- percentage for accuracy, but if it's that important to you just discount Deckard from your list. Again, assuming you want an accurate accounting.
    I gotta back up DBB on this, putting two of what are pretty universally acknowledged as the worst SF characters of the last 40 years does warrant an explanation.
    And others are asked to explain, if you are reading this you'll see choices like Superman, Batman and Star Wars characters are being questioned.

If the best Presidents of the US where asked and someone answered Buchanan, Hoover and G W Bush, you bet they would be questioned.

Don't tell me, you think Godfather III is the best Godfather movie and Batman & Robin the best Batman film of all?

CURRENT SCOREBOARD
    ===============

Arthur Dent (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy) ... 20
    Astro Boy ... 5 + 5 = 10
    Buck Rogers ... 5 + 10 = 15
    Cole McGrath (Infamous) ... 5
    Dark Helmet (Spaceballs) ... 20
    Darth Vader (Star Wars) ... 20 + 10 + 10 + 5 + 5 + 20 + 10 + 5 = 85
    Data (Star Trek) ... 20 + 20 = 40
    Doctor, The (Doctor Who) ... 10 + 20 + 20 + 10 + 20 + 5 + 20 = 105
    Doctor Zaius (Planet of the Apes) ... 20
    Echo (Dollhouse) ... 5
    Flash Gordon ... 20 + 20 + 5 + 10 + 20 = 75
    Fox Mulder (The X-Files) ... 5
    Frankenstein's Monster ... 20 +10 +20 = 50
    Godzilla ... 10
    Gully Foyle (The Stars My Destination) ... 10
    Hagbard Celine (Illuminatus) ... 20
    Han Solo (Star Wars) ... 5 + 10 + 5 = 20
    James T. Kirk (Star Trek) ... 20 + 5 + 10 + 10 + 20 + 10 = 75
    Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek) ... 5
    John Carter of Mars ... 10 + 5 + 5 +10 = 30
    John Crichton (Farscape) ... 10 + 5 + 10 = 25
    Lazarus Long ... 20 + 20 = 40
    Londo Molari (Babylon 5) ... 20
    Louis Wu (Ringworld) ... 10
    Luke Skywalker (Star Wars) ... 10 + 10 + 5 + 10 + 20 + 5 = 60
    Mad Max ... 5 + 10 = 15
    Mega Man ... 5
    Megatron (Transformers) ... 20
    Mycroft (The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress) ... 5
    Neo (Matrix) ... 10
    Obi-Wan Kenobi (Star Wars) ... 10 + 5 = 15
    Paul Atriedes (Dune) ... 20 + 10 = 30
    Q (007) ... 5
    R. Daneel Olivaw (Robot / Foundation) ... 20
    Reed Richards (Fantastic Four) ... 5
    Revan (Star Wars) ... 20
    Richard Deckard (Blade Runner)... 10
    Ripley (Alien) ... 5
    Robby the Robot (Forbidden Planet) ... 5 + 5 + 5 + 5 = 20
    Slippery Jim DeGris (The Stainless Steel Rat) ... 20
    Snake Plissken (Escape from New York) ... 5 + 20 = 25
    Spider-Man ... 20
    Spock (Star Trek) ... 5 + 20 + 10 = 35
    Storm (X-Men) ... 20 + 20 + 20 + 20 = 80
    Superman ... 20 + 5 + 20 + 20 + 10 + 10 + 10 + 20 = 115
    T-800 (Terminator) ... 10 + 10 = 20
    Time Traveler, The (The Time Machine) ... 5
    Tom Servo (MST3K) ... 5 + 5 + 5 = 15
    Uhura (Star Trek) ... 10
    Valentine Michael Smith (Stranger In A Strange Land) ... 10 + 10 = 20

===============

Keep 'em coming!
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 09-20-2014 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post
    A few haven't seen mentioned yet

Maria (Metropolis, first sci-fi feature film, first robot on film)
    Godzilla
    Captain Nemo
    HAL
    The Terminator (Arnie)
    Good choices, all.

The T-800 and Godzilla are already on the scoreboard, due to people actually putting them on their top-3 ballot.

Unfortunately, no one has yet put Maria, Captain Nemo, or HAL on their own top-3 list, so they can't go on the scoreboard for now.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    I gotta back up DBB on this, putting two of what are pretty universally acknowledged as the worst SF characters of the last 40 years does warrant an explanation.
    And others are asked to explain, if you are reading this you'll see choices like Superman, Batman and Star Wars characters are being questioned.

If the best Presidents of the US where asked and someone answered Buchanan, Hoover and G W Bush, you bet they would be questioned.

Don't tell me, you think Godfather III is the best Godfather movie and Batman & Robin the best Batman film of all?
    At this point he's obviously just making stuff up and cherry-picking (see inclusion of one of three votes). I'm all for fun and polls, but if you can't trust the person to run things straight why bother? Even if he disagrees with the picks, it's not worth the time and effort to give an explanation or participate further. I wouldn't mind participating in a poll of this nature run by someone you could trust to keep an accurate count.

Superman. By far the most important. I can't even think of two others that qualify. I guess Darkseid and The Terminator.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MykeHavoc View Post
    Superma. By far the most important. I can't even think of two others that qualify.
    Darth Vader is easily on par. Easily as recognizable, part of a franchise that did more for films (easily a bigger medium), and massively influential. Godzilla (huge recognition factor, longevity, started a genre in his own right). Frankenstein's monster. Kirk and Spock for what they did for the genre.

At this point he's obviously just making stuff up and cherry-picking (see inclusion of one of three votes). I'm all for fun and polls, but if you can't trust the person to run things straight why bother? Even if he disagrees with the picks, it's not worth the time and effort to give an explanation or participate further. I wouldn't mind participating in a poll of this nature run by someone you could trust to keep an accurate count.
    You have to admit you picked two characters that the far majority of fans have contempt for and find completely worthless. Did you really think no one would question those choices.

Secretly in the Shadows Starleafgirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    You have to admit you picked two characters that the far majority of fans have contempt for and find completely worthless. Did you really think no one would question those choices.
    Agreed.

I assumed it was sheer trollage, but at the same time, if I was running the poll, I'd have no choice but to include them, as they're legitimate sci-fi characters.
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg
    <----------------------------------->

Keep the snark to a minimum. ~ The CBR Community Behavior Rules

"What? I can't promise that!" ~ Starleafgirl

Original Join Date: 10-31-2007

Yeah but so much of Star Wars is Kirby-esque. That's why I put Darkseid. I doubt we'd have Vader without him.

At this point he's obviously just making stuff up and cherry-picking (see inclusion of one of three votes).I'm all for fun and polls, but if you can't trust the person to run things straight why bother? Even if he disagrees with the picks, it's not worth the time and effort to give an explanation or participate further. I wouldn't mind participating in a poll of this nature run by someone you could trust to keep an accurate count.
    Actually, you're right: I shouldn't have assumed ANY of your choices were at all serious to begin with. The scoreboard has since been adjusted. Thank you for your participation.

Quote Originally Posted by Starleafgirl View Post
    Agreed.

I assumed it was sheer trollage, but at the same time, if I was running the poll, I'd have no choice but to include them, as they're legitimate sci-fi characters.
    Respectfully disagree. If it's your poll/thread/contest, then it's your rules. You set the rules (as I did in the OP) and address the challenges as they come up. You have the right to protect its integrity against troll/joke/diss answers.

And everyone else who posted something questionable, when asked about their choices, they had no problem adjusting their lists. That person did not. And without any offered explanation, those two characters in particular are in an extremely rare class of universal disdain where you can presume trolling by default. So I'm not making an exception for him/her.

Moving on.
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 09-20-2014 at 08:32 PM.

Superman. By far the most important. I can't even think of two others that qualify. I guess Darkseid and The Terminator.
    So then do you want your list to be:

1. Superman: 20 pts
    2. Darkseid (Fourth World): 10 pts
    3. T-800 (Terminator): 5 points

?

That's fine.

BANNED

Yeah but so much of Star Wars is Kirby-esque. That's why I put Darkseid. I doubt we'd have Vader without him.
    Doctor Doom is the major comicbook influence that went into Darth Vader, IIRC. That and samurai armour, Joseph Campbell, and probably a Ming The Mercyless.

Good point. The whole son unknowingly fighting against his farther thing is also very New Gods. Though i am not sure if that is attributable to Lucas or Leigh Brackett.