Thread: Supergirl #34

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Default Supergirl #34

It's a few weeks old, but I didn't see a thread for this issue. Which brings me to the question I had - did this come out to print?

5 of my LCS's don't have it, 2 of which didn't have it as soon as its first week of release. All 5 still have plenty of copies of #33, though... There's still a 6th LCS I need to check. None of them said whether or not they DID or DID NOT even get it. But none of the major comic sites I checked and googled did reviews for it - just some lesser known sites did (maybe from digital version?). I checked a couple other forums and the issue has no threads for it, it seems... I can't find it on eBay and Amazon just has the Kindle Edition.

So, is it just me who is finding it impossible to get a hold of this issue? Am I missing or am unaware of something?
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

Ultimate Member

There were copies at my LCS, so I got to read it (it was pretty good btw).

Re member

Reviews:
    http://www.comicbookroundup.com/comi...girl-(2011)/34

The book came out and I got my pull copy, but the stores I go to tell me that they misjudged and under ordered. They said there were more spur-of-the-moment buyers picking it up because it was a Doomed tie-in.

What forums did you look in?

well, thanks for at least making me realize there are copies out there somewhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Iopy View Post
    What forums did you look in?
    ComicVine and IGN.

I didn't realize Newsarama had a review, but again, I assumed the perceived lack of reviews (since could be digital reviews) aren't as telling as the lack of forum threads (though, posters can read digitally as well, i know).

Interesting seeing those mixed reviews, though. Maybe it's a silver lining that I may be unable to get the issue... All of this b/c the LCS I get 99% of my pulls is just bad at actually fulfilling my pull list.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

Ultimate Member

I'd recommend checking it out, it was good. If you haven't liked the "brooding angsty" New 52 Kara, then this issue is going to make you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    I'd recommend checking it out, it was good. If you haven't liked the "brooding angsty" New 52 Kara, then this issue is going to make you happy.
    yeah, I've seen previews or excerpts and it looks interesting. I do like the angsty Kara, but I also like kindheartedness and self-reflection as well.

Fantastic Member

A lot of the negative reviews are looking at the issue as a Doomed chapter primarily and a Supergirl issue second, and rating it poorly because it doesn't advance the Doomed story at all. Most of them don't even mention what Supergirl actually does in the issue. I feel like this is looking at it from the wrong angle, it's a Supergirl story before it's a Doomed tie-in, and as a Supergirl story it's pretty good. It uses the events of Doomed as a backdrop and focuses on Kara. I say give it a read. It's better than the Futures End tie-in this month in every regard, writing wise.

As for lack of reviews, hardly any sites give much page space to Supergirl. Most of them were underwhelmed by the initial issues of Bedard's run and aren't interested enough to give it a look again. If Perkins and Johnson don't wow immediately that'll probably continue.
    Last edited by confusiongrows; 09-18-2014 at 02:36 AM.