Super Moderator

Default Pipeline - May 6, 2014

Augie's daughter experiences Free Comic Book Day, while her father reminisces over the cape Todd McFarlane gave the Prowler.

Full article here.

For what it's worth, my daughter was 5 when she got into comics. She's hard on her books, but she loves and reads them; so that's a positive.

That's sweet about his daughter! And the lack of Disney comics he mentioned does continue to surprise me. They sell all kinds of stupid swag with princesses on it. So I'd think a comic anthology with simple, large words telling stories about Disney princesses having magical adventures (sold at Toys R Us, Target, etc, in the "girls aisle", not at your LCS) would practically sell itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Lt Trouble View Post
    That's sweet about his daughter! And the lack of Disney comics he mentioned does continue to surprise me. They sell all kinds of stupid swag with princesses on it. So I'd think a comic anthology with simple, large words telling stories about Disney princesses having magical adventures (sold at Toys R Us, Target, etc, in the "girls aisle", not at your LCS) would practically sell itself.
    Boom Studios had been putting out Disney books (mostly stuff from Pixar and the Disney Afternoon) before the merger with Marvel and everything. Marvel themselves has been picking up a bit with the Disney Kingdoms imprint, but who knows what they'll do outside of that. A Princess comic would be nice.

Too bad Augie didn't bring his daughter to my shop. They had the artist from the My Little Pony comic, and she did a sketch for my daughter on the spot.

My youngest is 5 and has just recently started wanting comics read to her. Mainly it's the various Batman Adventures comics, but also My Little Pony.

She didn't like Marvel Age: Fantastic Four.

As far as I'm concerned anything that stops her asking me to read Rainbow Magic books to her is a bonus.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

I don't know about US comics, but here in the UK there's a Ultimate Spider-Man Comic magazine which is pretty popular with a little five year old kid I know at church, so I can definitely see the appeal of using the cartoons to trend up to comics. There's definitely Disney Princess Magazines too which the kid's sister reads, though those aren't strictly comics per say.

Ironically I do love the fact Pipeline is also discussing Amazing Spider-Man #305 because that and the whole Pete and MJ in Paris story with Black Fox and Prowler was the very first Spidey story I EVER read at the tender age of six years old in some Spidey Annual with a one shot story about Peter being stuck at home at Christmas, bored and mistaking a guy who resembles the Fourth Doctor for Doc Ock what with his scarf.