View Poll Results: How will Brian Braddock be affected by Scottish independence?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • He will be better than ever!

1 5.88%
  • He will retain his usual effectiveness. (Please explain what this means to you.)

10 58.82%
  • He's done. Send in the new Captain Britain already.

0 0%
  • Who cares about this guy? (No one.) Give me Captain Scotland!

4 23.53%
  • I don't like or know anything about comics.

2 11.76%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

It would still exist, it might just have diminished faith empowering it and in turn the Captain Britain Corps, so their powers divided up might diminish.

since brian's power source comes from the strength of the people, then it is obvious he will be weakened in some way.

File Clerk of MI13 The Sword is Drawn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    I thought there was always a Captain Britain? I also thought that they were a part of the UK just not a part of Great Britain? Nope, I was wrong...Seems I didn't listen back in 7th grade *mumble mumble* years ago...

There is always a Captain Britain. In some universes, where the territory is governed by different states and countries, their name is different to reflect that. But there is always a Captain for each universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Since Braddock's powers originate from Otherworld, an extrapolation of the poll/question would be how would that realm be affected?

Yes! I'm so glad somebody else seems to understand this.

And at the moment that "will effect" should very much be "would effect".

Scotland may well still opt to remain today. It is far far from a foregone conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by PocketfulofKryptonite View Post
    It would still exist, it might just have diminished faith empowering it and in turn the Captain Britain Corps, so their powers divided up might diminish.

It is worth pointing out what we are talking about here is the possibility that today, in the real world, Scottish people may vote to leave the United Kingdom and become a seperate independently governed Country.

The Marvel Universe is not reality. On Earth 616 we do not know if Scotland WILL be voting.

Nor if Earth 616's Scotland did opt for indepemdence would it have any effect on any other Universe beyond that.
    It Came From Darkmoor...

A Blog dedicated to the British corner of the Marvel Universe.

Twitter: @theswordisdrawn

Or since it's all made up land in the 616, it won't matter at all...

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    since brian's power source comes from the strength of the people, then it is obvious he will be weakened in some way.

But would he?

I mean just because the Scottish people opted for independence does not mean they beome demorilsed themselves, or lose confdence in Captain Britain.
    It Came From Darkmoor...

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    Or since it's all made up land in the 616, it won't matter at all...

Yes! This too.
    It Came From Darkmoor...

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    The same way Canadians are Americas (they are on the continent of North America).
    I wouldn't ever say that to a Canadian's face if I were you...

Quote Originally Posted by The Odd Man View Post

Nor should you.
    It Came From Darkmoor...

Quote Originally Posted by The Sword is Drawn View Post
    There is always a Captain Britain. In some universes, where the territory is governed by different states and countries, their name is different to reflect that. But there is always a Captain for each universe.

Yes! I'm so glad somebody else seems to understand this.

And at the moment that "will effect" should very much be "would effect".

Scotland may well still opt to remain today. It is far far from a foregone conclusion.

It is worth pointing out what we are talking about here is the possibility that today, in the real world, Scottish people may vote to leave the United Kingdom and become a seperate independently governed Country.

The Marvel Universe is not reality. On Earth 616 we do not know if Scotland WILL be voting.

Nor if Earth 616's Scotland did opt for indepemdence would it have any effect on any other Universe beyond that.
    Based on recent polls, I think it's fair to say by tomorrow lunch time Scotland will be independent. If they regret such a choice only time will tell in the next 2-3 years minimum since even the vote won't cause any actions for the next 16-18 months.

If Marvel include Stephen Colbert and Barack Obama into their reality, if they acknowledged 9/11, I think a change like the division of the UK will be considered at the very least to be incorporated.

I think only 616 Brian Braddock will be effected directly but the lost of all those millions of people having faith in him would surely diminish the well spring of power that he can draw from, that's 5.3 million less people to draw faith based power from. The question is would Scots living in England still be a potential source of power he could tap into... maybe that's a loophole to his power, if Scots all cross the border into England in the future it might boost his power up.

Yeah, it can be like those other countries that split off Genosha and Latveria.

I think only 616 Brian Braddock will be effected directly but the lost of all those millions of people having faith in him would surely diminish the well spring of power that he can draw from, that's 5.3 million less people to draw faith based power from. The question is would Scots living in England still be a potential source of power he could tap into... maybe that's a loophole to his power, if Scots all cross the border into England in the future it might boost his power up.

As I have pointed out several times on this thread already political boundaries mean nothing to way in which these powers work.

The reason that the power of Otherworld resides in the land mass of the British Isles is because this is the physical point on earth which interesects with the sub-dimension of Otherworld. It's the physical boundaries which are important, and the people with in them.

The whole of the British Isles could be taken over by a foreign power (as happened in Hauptman England's universe, for example, after WW2) and that wouldn't diminish the power. The power didn't suddenly disappear because Britain became part of Germany. Hell no. We just had a Captain who thought of himself as Beng German.

If Scotland were to become an independent state, the people would still be there.

The only way it would have any tangible impact would be if the entire nation of Scotland were to change their opinion of CAPTAIN BRITAIN. His powers are definied in part by his confidence. If an entire Country decided they hated HIM then this would effect him. Otherwise, by rights, it would have no impact upon his power levels whatsoever.
    It Came From Darkmoor...

As I have pointed out several times on this thread already political boundaries mean nothing to way in which these powers work.

The reason that the power of Otherworld resides in the land mass of the British Isles is because this is the physical point on earth which interesects with the sub-dimension of Otherworld. It's the physical boundaries which are important, and the people with in them.

The whole of the British Isles could be taken over by a foreign power (as happened in Hauptman England's universe, for example, after WW2) and that wouldn't diminish the power. The power didn't suddenly disappear because Britain became part of Germany. Hell no. We just had a Captain who thought of himself as Beng German.

If Scotland were to become an independent state, the people would still be there.

The only way it would have any tangible impact would be if the entire nation of Scotland were to change their opinion of CAPTAIN BRITAIN. His powers are definied in part by his confidence. If an entire Country decided they hated HIM then this would effect him. Otherwise, by rights, it would have no impact upon his power levels whatsoever.
    It Came From Darkmoor...

All-New Member

If and when independence happens in Scotland, it would be cool to see a rebooted Excalibur team go up against a Scottish "Alpha Flight" sent to London to retrieve a "wayward" member.

Quote Originally Posted by The Odd Man View Post
    You probably wouldn't want to say Canadians are Americans to a good number of Americans for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sword is Drawn View Post
    But would he?

I mean just because the Scottish people opted for independence does not mean they beome demorilsed themselves, or lose confdence in Captain Britain.
    but he will not be their captain anymore so his power source will be cut off.