View Poll Results: How will Brian Braddock be affected by Scottish independence?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • He will be better than ever!

1 5.88%
  • He will retain his usual effectiveness. (Please explain what this means to you.)

10 58.82%
  • He's done. Send in the new Captain Britain already.

0 0%
  • Who cares about this guy? (No one.) Give me Captain Scotland!

4 23.53%
  • I don't like or know anything about comics.

2 11.76%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    No, that's Britain. Great Britain is the two islands. But is is confusing (damn land definitions).
    This is incorrect, here's a venn diagram that explains my point better than I ever could:

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Hound View Post
    With regard to my other country, (dual citizen) Australia our constitution states specifically that our head of state is the monarch of the UK, so apparently if the UK breaks up, then we probably have no legal head of state. Aussies are fairly split about whether a republic is a good thing or not.
    just on a point of fact, the UK without Scotland will still be known as the UK, it'll still have everything from it's seat at the UN security council to NATO & EU membership - it's head of state will still be the Queen, so Australia's will also be. The rest of the UK will be the official successor state, the area that Scotland occupies is just trying to secede from it.

The British can say Ireland is a part of the British Isles if they want, they've named a lot of places, the Irish reserve the right to disagree.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shambles View Post
    The British can say Ireland is a part of the British Isles if they want, they've named a lot of places, the Irish reserve the right to disagree.
    Even the Irish agree that Ireland is part of the British Isles, it's not, however, part of Great Britain - the two are different things.

BANNED

I voted he's unaffected either way for reasons already explained in this thread.

He's Captain Britain, not Captain UK.

if scotland gains its independence it will not be part of britain any longer.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    Yes it will - it won't be part of the United Kingdom, but it will remain part of Great Britain. "Great Britain" is just the name of the largest island in the British Isles: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Britain

i don't really think it's your place to tell scotland what to do with itself once it claims independence?

Tbh I doubt it will be brought up unless a story takes place in Scotland, or it'll be mentioned in passing by Brian as a joke. That and Britain will still be Britain so no name change. Did he even have that strong a connection to anywhere but England? (Never read Excalibur)

Sidenote, anyone here vote today? First time for me

Fantastic Member

i don't really think it's your place to tell scotland what to do with itself once it claims independence?
    I'm not telling Scotland "what to do with itself" except in so far that I'm pointing out that it can't actually detach itself geographically from the Island known as Great Britain.

BANNED

It's going to physically tear itself away from the island and settle somewhere else? You don't seem to be aware of what Britain is.

I think a lot of people simply get Britain and the UK confused. They are usually interchangeable after all...

Quote Originally Posted by VJ. View Post
    Even the Irish agree that Ireland is part of the British Isles, it's not, however, part of Great Britain - the two are different things.
    Well I'm Irish and I don't refer to it as the British Isles. Our Government doesn't much like it either which is why you'll see the geographical location referred to as "these Islands" on official documents like the Good Friday Agreement.

Anyway here's hoping the Scots get a superhero no matter what they decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    It's going to physically tear itself away from the island and settle somewhere else? You don't seem to be aware of what Britain is.
    people in scotland and ireland don't seem to like being referred to as britain. please let's not make personal insults because someone disagrees with your opinion.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

They still have a long way to go on that. Sorting it all out will take a while if the vote for independence wins out. For example, how about a simple thing like currency? Right now they use the British pound sterling and some banks do print Scottish notes. How about a health care system too? They get a block grant from Westminister to help out on that.