Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    spoilers:
    Filoni was asked if we'd see Mara Jade on the show. And his answer was "not likely."
    end of spoilers
    I would understand if that were the case. Won't be up in arms if it didn't happen, as I'm mostly fine with most of the Legacy stuff staying just that. My memories of it are the same whether they are officially canon or not. I do think though that the character could fit into new projects rather seamlessly.

Or hell maybe they're not allowed to use her in the same way no one was allowed to use Anakin and who would become Padme in the 90s...the movies got dibs. Maybe she IS Rey's mama.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Since the next animated series after Rebels winds up is rummored to be set in the Force Awakens time I could see them introducing Mara Jade there in some way if they don't have her show up in Rebels before it ends.

Looks like we'll be seeing Darktroopers (The Droid stormtroopers from the Dark Forces video game) and Tom Baker (Fourth Doctor in Doctor Who) has a role as well.

Ultimate Member

I'm pretty sure that, if they were going to bring Mara Jade back, that they'd wait until after Rey's true parentage/origins (whomever/whatever they/it may be) has been revealed in the films. Also I'd be really surprised if the next TV show post-Rebels doesn't take place in-between ROTJ and TFA (to start filling in some of that 30+ year gap in the timeline).

The Man Without Fear. Batman#22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    Thrawn and Maul in the same season sounds awesome. Hopefully they get more screentime than Vader and the Grand Inquisitor did.
    They better. I mean honestly, having Darth Vader show up for only 4 episodes was brutal. Especially considering how many filler episodes we had to put up with. Although I understand having the villains appear too often takes away there menace. I fill like having them appear rarely is even worse. I hope Thrawn is like Zaheer and the Red Lotus were in The Legend of Korra where he constantly beats the crap out of the heroes through out most the season but looses in the end of the season.
    I plan on dying tonight!!!
    (Punches himself in the nose and cause bleeding)
    ... how about you?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batman#22 View Post
    They better. I mean honestly, having Darth Vader show up for only 4 episodes was brutal. Especially considering how many filler episodes we had to put up with. Although I understand having the villains appear too often takes away there menace. I fill like having them appear rarely is even worse. I hope Thrawn is like Zaheer and the Red Lotus were in The Legend of Korra where he constantly beats the crap out of the heroes through out most the season but looses in the end of the season.
    Vader has to be used sparing. You get one maybe two chances to escape him.

Ultimate Member

Yeah if they had used Vader more, then the complaints that he was being "made to look incompetent" would have been all the louder. Because the heroes would keep getting away. Plus, how expensive is JEJ to bring in these days I wonder?

Meanwhile you can have them credibly run away from Thrawn while still making Thrawn look hyper competent, since his forte is naval combat and Interdictor Cruisers aren't going to be mass produced yet, he can ambush them, destroy their plans and whatnot, and they can just hyperspace away to lick their wounds

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Meanwhile you can have them credibly run away from Thrawn while still making Thrawn look hyper competent, since his forte is naval combat and Interdictor Cruisers aren't going to be mass produced yet, he can ambush them, destroy their plans and whatnot, and they can just hyperspace away to lick their wounds
    Which is exactly what I hope we get this season. I don't want Thrawn toned down to the point where he looks like a parody of the character he's supposed to be.

The Rebels can lose battle after battle with him, and it'll make perfect sense within their narrative. The Rebellion's early days are supposed to be a story of them barely managing to survive against the Empire. Thrawn's the perfect guy to show how the Empire can win plenty of battles while still ultimately losing the war.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Plus if they do show Thrawn to be as good as he is supposed to be it will give them a good reason for the Emperor to exile him to the outer rim latter on instead of killing him off. The Emperor would not like someone as good as Thrawn making a name for himself among the rank and file of the Empire and would want him out of the way after a while, but knowing he is too valuable to just have killed exiling him to keep order on the rim instead.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Plus if they do show Thrawn to be as good as he is supposed to be it will give them a good reason for the Emperor to exile him to the outer rim latter on instead of killing him off. The Emperor would not like someone as good as Thrawn making a name for himself among the rank and file of the Empire and would want him out of the way after a while, but knowing he is too valuable to just have killed exiling him to keep order on the rim instead.
    Yes.

Heck, you could have Thrawn actually come within spitting distance of actually defeating the Rebels entirely, only to have Palpatine wreck the whole thing by sending him off for some petty agenda. Play it up. Say Thrawn knows where the Rebel base is. The Rebels are scrambling to evacuate. Thrawn ALMOST has all his pieces in place to strike.......and then the HoloNet rings. The Rebels never figure out exactly what saved them.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Mighty Member

I agree, somewhat with the last two posts. Palpatine is clever enough to realize that allowing the Rebels to live, and painting them out to be terrorists could actually draw planets and races further into the arms of the Empire. "only the Empire can protect people from wanton acts of terrorism against the planets that the Rebels insist on perpetrating."

given that they're still years away from completing the Death Star, they actually would have to expend a considerable amount of energy and time to completely destroy the Rebellion. it might not even be worth it to hunt down every last rebel and wipe them out. that might simply create more rebels. so Palpatine might tell Thrawn directly that he is to exact a crushing, but not fatal, blow against the Rebellion. the fatal blow is to be reserved for when the Death Star becomes operational. might as well tie it back into the movies that are going to happen.
    Last edited by Totoro Man; 07-19-2016 at 04:31 PM.

The Man Without Fear. Batman#22's Avatar

At first I thought Rebels would have an extremely corny way of winning in the season finale. But now that I think about it, Darth Vader won twice in the fights he was in last season, despite Ashoka's valiant effort. So who knows maybe Thrawn will kick their asses through out next season. But then again Vader is by far more popular than Thrawn but still, I'm curious to see how he's portrayed next season.
    I plan on dying tonight!!!
    (Punches himself in the nose and cause bleeding)
    ... how about you?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batman#22 View Post
    Especially considering how many filler episodes we had to put up with..
    What do you consider "filler"? Many episodes in the second season served to flesh out the characters. That's hardly filler.
    My blog. Latest entry: November 5th, 2022

I wonder about some of the other Zahn creations as well. We were kind of teased with the Ysalmari (Although it's really just the way Thrawn is posed in front of the painting), but I wonder if we'll see characters such as Palleon (Thrawn's second-in-command, and one of the more 'good' Imperial officers) or Joruus C' Baoth (The mad Jedi clone, who can sort of be worked into what we have with the Clone troopers). The Noghri-a group of Vader-worshipping warrior aliens who the Empire dupes-could be interesting too.