Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Superkreep View Post
    Lol, it seems that way.
    Although, it may have made him younger as well...the blonde look was his original 70's hair color.
    So if the brown hair was part of his aging (for some reason) him getting younger might bring back the blonde.

Silly, I know and honestly I think the hair color just like with the costumes and the change in over all tone of the GotG series was all done in an effort to distance themselves from DnA's run, which they considered a failure financially. I'm betting the idea was basically "the first time around didn't connect with the masses so lets make it more familiar/generic this time" so we got Mass Effect/Storm-trooper Quill and Gamora instead. It's only now AFTER the movie based on that run became a massive success that they're sort of backpedaling on all those arbitrary changes. Now they're embracing the notion of the GotG being different from the Avengers (Cosmic Avengers??? LOL) and recognizing that maybe the old creative team knew what they were doing after all.

Whatever the case I'm just happy seeing Pete back in his true GotG uniform/helmet (where his hair was a non-issue) and hanging with THE Nova again, even if it is only for this arc.
    I find it more funny how Starlord has went through three personality changes. First appearance vengeance fueled space hero, second cranky war veteran and third space outlaw.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by THANOSRULES View Post
    The Thanos dialogue is fine IMO...he's groggy and was basically insane at the start of the comic and only slowly coming around. He had an altered mental status at the end of TI and this picks right back up...Ed McG even shows this in his facial drawings of the art..

so I'm cool with it..frankly i thought Bendis was going to show him even more enraged and one dimensional..
    I agree, and I say that as the biggest Thanos fan I know (even more than you, THANOSRULES =P).

Thanos hadn't been exactly right since his previous resurrection prior to "The Thanos Imperative" anyway, what with being released from that restorative cocoon too early and not wanting to be alive again anyway.

Come to think of it, even without Starlin's recent "The Infinity Revelation," that early awakening could be used to explain some of Thanos's more ... out of character behavior over the past few years.

Amazing Member

So I can use a cosmic cube to get my hair to be blonde again? Eh on second thought i won't be a Quill. I'll keep being a brunette.

BANNED

I guess Quill subconsciously wished himself young.

Quote Originally Posted by TresDias View Post
    I agree, and I say that as the biggest Thanos fan I know (even more than you, THANOSRULES =P).

Thanos hadn't been exactly right since his previous resurrection prior to "The Thanos Imperative" anyway, what with being released from that restorative cocoon too early and not wanting to be alive again anyway.

Come to think of it, even without Starlin's recent "The Infinity Revelation," that early awakening could be used to explain some of Thanos's more ... out of character behavior over the past few years.
    Starlin's gotten too edgy with this stuff though, he could have spent a lot more time in TR writing a better story instead of wasting too much page time essentially putting HIS toy back in HIS toy chest. Luckily it sold well so we'll be getting more, but there are only a few THanos appeareances that really needed to be disavowed...and Starlin already handled those.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superkreep View Post
    Last month’s book was a strong showing, the writing and the incredible art really lived up to this series billing.
    Hopefully the improved quality will continue with this issue, because for better or worse THIS is the arc Bendys' entire GotG run will be remembered for, everything else is easily ignored/forgotten filler. Especially with James Gunn stating his MCU GotG are WISELY steering clear of Bendys' groan inducing J'son and the Snorelax Empire stories, so I doubt we'll be seeing them pop up nearly as often from now on (no more "synergy" opportunities there). That being the case this is his chance to leave a positive mark on these characters.

Anyway, I think the fact that this is the tale that BMB most wanted to tell is really showing. Just the right amount of exposition and action, several new and important developments, plus seeds were being planted for the future, this doesn't feel like the usual read and forget it BMB story. It really felt this would be a deeply involved epic that will provide solid direction and purpose for these characters going forward. Good stuff all around. I want this to be the arc that I can recommend to new readers as the gold standard of this New GotG run. Sadly, none of the other GotG Vol 3 stuff has been worth recommending to people, this arc can certainly change that.

However, I don't think Thanos sounded or acted right last issue, even here in the preview it's much the same. I mean, these ARE things Thanos would say but it doesn't feel like this is how he would say it. Maybe it's just me, but I feel his vocabulary is so limited here it makes his voice lack that poetic menace he’s known for. The movie got that right in the very few minutes he was on screen:"...I will bathe the star-ways with your blood." Yeah, Bendys' version isn't quite in that league.

Other than that I'm enjoying this arc, the look, the feel, the high stakes, it's closer to the Annihilation run than ANYTHING this series has shown us thus far...or will show us after. Effing "Planet of Symbiotes: Redux", really? BOOOOOooo. Even the most hardcore Venom fans are lukewarm on that idea. Would have been nice to have a story focused on Rocket, Groot, Drax or Gamora instead. Dude wants to write about everyone EXCEPT the actually core team members.

Now that Bendys is telling the story he actually WANTED to tell his run on this book will start winding down and he can focus on what he REALLY wants to write...Spider Man and X-Men stories.
    It's become fairly obvious that pretty much everyone else on a Marvel cosmic book right now has a better grasp on these characters than he does. Young, Rucka, Slott, Humphries, (Starlin and Abnett OF COURSE) hell even Duggan (despite the massive continuity goof that is the Nova book) has shown a greater appreciation and understanding of the cosmic scene. They all at least have TRIED to bring uniquely cosmic stories to us rather than bring our "wow, we're in space!" naivete and poor attempts at catchphrases to cosmic. 2015 Should bring a new voice to the flagship GotG book for sure.

Also, major props to Bendys and crew if Drax or Richy comments on Quill suddenly looking younger and BLONDER after that cosmic cube blast. That will go a long way in fixing at least ONE jarring change from the Annihilation Quill to NOW Quill. It's still pointless and brings back yet another Blonde blue-eyed hero archetype to add to Marvel's expanded collection but at least it was explained.

As usual, high hopes and fingers crossed for a return to form for the GotG!
    Couldn't have said it better myself. One thing though. Remember Thanos wasn't in his right mind at all during the Thanos Imperative once he was brought back to life. Maybe thats why he is the way he is in this issue. After the symbiotes arc, I would love a different writer. BMD's story arcs have been so boring. I don't mind some slow issues but I feel nearly all the issues inch along and are a chore to read.

I agree that BMB seems to write everyone else but the guardians. First it was the new Quill, whonis basically a completely new character in all but name. Then Rocket with his catchphrases and sadistic new personality. Then the book was about Angela, then the Xmen, then Carol and Venom. Quillsfather and that plotline took 17 issues to tell with no real consequence on the book. The story and characters are flat, boring, and anything but inventive.
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Couldn't have said it better myself. One thing though. Remember Thanos wasn't in his right mind at all during the Thanos Imperative once he was brought back to life. Maybe thats why he is the way he is in this issue. After the symbiotes arc, I would love a different writer. BMD's story arcs have been so boring. I don't mind some slow issues but I feel nearly all the issues inch along and are a chore to read.
    Right, I got all of that. It's more around the "i will not be touched!" chain of dialogue several panels after his rage has subsided that it felt like his vocabulary was off. "What myriad wonders lie yonder?" is the is the kind of vocab I expect from Thanos, it's that "wtf did he say?" reaction to his words that helps sell him as very ancient and "alien" to me. In the preview and even in the last issue I guess you could say Thanos was TOO clear and familiar with Pete and Rich. I kind of figure Thanos would leave the average everyman scratching his head after he speaks. Not a big deal overall, but still one of those things that conflicts with a previously established voice.

Also, I think Rucka or Ewing in particular would KILL it on this title.

I agree with you guys in that Thanos' voice sounded way off in the last issue. That "simmer down, dog" line directed at Drax really stuck with me as something so out of character for Thanos to say, but all throughout the issue, Thanos didn't sound quite like himself. A large part of what makes Thanos Thanos (setting him apart from someone like Doctor Doom or Darkseid, who are more narcisistic and self-centered than the ol' Mad Titan) is Thanos' erudite vocabulary which, when associated with the character's philosophical, existential ways, really makes the character shine. Starlin obviously is the master when it comes to writing Thanos well, but Giffen and, to a lesser extent, Abnett and Lanning also wrote him extremely well. Bendis' Thanos, on the other hand, doesn't sound all that different from his Kingpin or his Norman Osborn: egotistical, self-centered characters who will often try too hard to sound threatening by wasting and repeating too many words while beating on the same point. And sure, you could try to make the point that here, Thanos is still reeling from that anger outburst by the end of Thanos Imperative, but Bendis has written the character before (in Avengers Assemble and during the Angela debut arc of GOTG) and his voice didn't really sound more on-point there either... This all boils down to the fact that Thanos is an extremely difficult character to write, and (for my money) it seems Bendis' sensibilities don't appear to be particularly suited for him.

I was, however, very surprised to see how well Bendis wrote Rich last issue: certain quirks of the character aside (a great chance for a "Blue Blazes!" was passed on in favor of a blander "jeez!"), Rich had a certain levity that oddly suited him! I'd actually be interested in seeing what Bendis could do with the character if he were to come back.

Fantastic Member 50yearoldNovafan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I have been a die hard Nova fan since Annihilation and I would drive 80 miles to pick up a copy. 50yearoldNovafan, you are more than welcome to my digital code to save you a trip. One Nova fan to another. Also, if they killed off Richard Rider permanently, I'm dropping Guardians and (lame) Nova.
    Hey, Casey, when you get your comic, I will gladly accept your digital code.

Jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by TheMerc View Post
    I agree with you guys in that Thanos' voice sounded way off in the last issue. That "simmer down, dog" line directed at Drax really stuck with me as something so out of character for Thanos to say, but all throughout the issue, Thanos didn't sound quite like himself. A large part of what makes Thanos Thanos (setting him apart from someone like Doctor Doom or Darkseid, who are more narcisistic and self-centered than the ol' Mad Titan) is Thanos' erudite vocabulary which, when associated with the character's philosophical, existential ways, really makes the character shine. Starlin obviously is the master when it comes to writing Thanos well, but Giffen and, to a lesser extent, Abnett and Lanning also wrote him extremely well. Bendis' Thanos, on the other hand, doesn't sound all that different from his Kingpin or his Norman Osborn: egotistical, self-centered characters who will often try too hard to sound threatening by wasting and repeating too many words while beating on the same point. And sure, you could try to make the point that here, Thanos is still reeling from that anger outburst by the end of Thanos Imperative, but Bendis has written the character before (in Avengers Assemble and during the Angela debut arc of GOTG) and his voice didn't really sound more on-point there either... This all boils down to the fact that Thanos is an extremely difficult character to write, and (for my money) it seems Bendis' sensibilities don't appear to be particularly suited for him.

I was, however, very surprised to see how well Bendis wrote Rich last issue: certain quirks of the character aside (a great chance for a "Blue Blazes!" was passed on in favor of a blander "jeez!"), Rich had a certain levity that oddly suited him! I'd actually be interested in seeing what Bendis could do with the character if he were to come back.
    You phrased it FAR better than I could have, Merc. Thanks!

I agree, BMB certainly did Richard Rider justice...except when he changed his name to Richard Ryder, lol. That's more on the editor though.
    It just once again proves something most of us already knew, Bendis is strong when writing for the everyman, his Spidey and now apparently his Nova can be top notch when it comes to their respective banter. But when it comes to greater concepts that feature wise or otherworldly beings he fails so hard. It's like you stated, his non street level beings are trying so hard to sound smart but their limited vocabulary just doesn't sell it.

Oh, man that "Simmer down, dog." line, that was SO effing aweful! I can't help but read that line in "street speak"... nah whut I mean, dog?
    Somewhere in the cosmos Jim Starlin must have just burst into flames.

Wrong post, move along, nothing to see here.
    Last edited by 50yearoldNovafan; 09-25-2014 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 50yearoldNovafan View Post
    Anyone have the digital code for Legendary Starlord #3? My shop did not have any and I am interested in seeing if they addressed what happened to Richard Rider.
    I don't have a code readily available, but I can tell you that that issue never mentioned Rich or what happened to him in Cancerverse.

I was thinking of #4, which has not arrived yet.

Quote Originally Posted by 50yearoldNovafan View Post
    I was thinking of #4, which has not arrived yet.
    Ah, gotcha!

So, what did you guys think of this issue? I still haven't read it yet, but I'm curious to hear some opinions.