Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I'm Drowning For You Imraith Nimphais's Avatar

Fairest, American Vampire, Wonder Woman
    Sun and Moon
    STORM #1...Greg Pak (W) Victor Ibanez (A/CA)...July 23rd 2014
    Those who embrace nature are in turn embraced by her.

Amazing Member

I always suggest Terry Moore's wonderful Strangers in Paradise to those new to the medium. It's a great way to show what sequential storytelling can do, without it being mired in the stigma that comes with superheroes and capes. It's got something for everyone and nearly everyone who isn't "into" comics that I've directed to SiP has come out of it itching for more comics to read. I would start them on the first volume, Strangers in Paradise, but the "I Dream of You" trade is also a very good jumping-on point, as are the pocket books which start with sequential ordering from 1-8 or 9 I believe.

Then again, that's not DC, LOL. If you're interested only in DC or Vertigo titles, Preacher is a great book for newcomers, as well as I've seen suggestions of Sandman, Y The Last Man. I've always like Transmetropolitan which I believe is a Vertigo title. The Invisibles by Grant Morrison is an amazing book to read and one of my favorites but should only be approached with an open mind. Alan Moore's work on Swamp Thing, his Watchmen and V for Vendetta graphic novels are good starting points for newcomers as well.
    Last edited by mysterygeekboi; 05-07-2014 at 03:51 PM.

I'm 37, so, supposing I would recommend it to someone my age, my first choice would be Paul Dini & Alex Ross' The World's Greatest Super-Heroes! Let the newbie (!) shockingly discover that he/she shouldn't have ignored comics all that time. And I'm Brazilian, it would be nice to see the reaction when they turn the page and see Rio de Janeiro and Superman together.

New Frontier and The Dark Knight Returns would also be in my mind. Superman: Red Son too.
    Talking about Elseworlds, something that I found really fun and probably no sane person would recommend... But I would: Superman & Batman: Generations.

Going away from the JLA, I'd pick: Astro City (volume 1 and the specials), The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and Planetary.

Many may disagree, but I like to push something like Identity Crisis to anyone new. It reinvigorated my own interest in the medium and I feel it works well as a standalone story that uses a lot of iconic characters in interesting ways. There's genuine conflict with many questions of morality presented, something that I think an adult who thinks comics are just kid stuff may be surprised by and find themselves engrossed in. Also, Killing Joke is nice quick read that tends to blow people's minds the first read. These choices may seem too grim/dark for some, but I feel they are surprisingly good hooks for new readers. If there interest sticks, I'd likely expand into less heavy fare with more fantastical elements and action. Morrison's JLA or All-Star Superman springs to mind.

1. Tales of teen titans "the judas contract"
    (Most of the Wolfman/Perez run actually)

2. Batman Year One

3. Robin Year One

4. Batman A Death in the Family

5. Batman The Long Halloween

6. Batman Hush

7. Batman The Black Mirror

8. Batman Court of Owls storyline

9. Lemire's Green Arrow run

Then I'd tell them to watch Batman Under the Red Hood, the Flashpoint Paradox, and Young Justice