Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Here's an idea:

Construct your ideal Lex Luthor exclusively from pre-existing non-Luthor sources. Let's say a minimum of two sources and a maximum of 10 different sources (historical or fictional). Also, you can pick and choose which attributes from those sources your ideal Lex would take.

For example,

My Ideal Lex Luthor would be:

2 parts Reed Richards (both theoretical genius and inventive brilliance)

2 parts Victor von Doom (both armor and ambition)

2 parts Tony Stark (both charisma and sex life pre-Pepper Potts )

2 parts Bruce Wayne (both Batgod Anti-Supes prep and physicality)

2 parts Adolf Hitler (both oratory skills and persuasiveness)

10 parts total = my ideal Lex Luthor

What non-Luthor sources would make up your ideal Lex Luthor?
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 04-15-2018 at 08:38 AM.

In the Action Comics: 80 Years of Superman Trade there is a new story called "The Game" which is a great representation of Luthors relationship with Superman.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

The way Azz wrote Lex in Luthor is basically my ideal Lex. Utterly convinced of his own heroicness. Only able to love a woman he created and has complete control over. Sending underlings to do his dirty work, never getting directly involved. Sabotaging his own work just to make Superman look bad, and then utterly losing control when Supes calls him on his bull.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post
    The way Azz wrote Lex in Luthor is basically my ideal Lex. Utterly convinced of his own heroicness. Only able to love a woman he created and has complete control over. Sending underlings to do his dirty work, never getting directly involved. Sabotaging his own work just to make Superman look bad, and then utterly losing control when Supes calls him on his bull.
    I agree with that take and new52/rebirth Lex seems to have been that for the most part. When he was a hero in Justice League, it's because he really thought he was. If rumors are true about Lex being the lead of the legion of doom, I could see Lex starting it because he doesn't agree with how justice league wants to handle the issue with the source wall and decides to make sure he is in charge on handling the worlds problems with other anti heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I agree with that take and new52/rebirth Lex seems to have been that for the most part. When he was a hero in Justice League, it's because he really thought he was. If rumors are true about Lex being the lead of the legion of doom, I could see Lex starting it because he doesn't agree with how justice league wants to handle the issue with the source wall and decides to make sure he is in charge on handling the worlds problems with other anti heroes.
    That would be awesome. I'd be curious to see who would be in the Legion with Lex if that were the case.

I will say that I very much enjoyed the petty Lex of All-Star Superman. He knew he was a supervillain, he just was so angry that he was ageing and Supes wasn't he stopped caring. If you go all the way with that kind of characterization I'm cool with it.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Here's an idea:

Construct your ideal Lex Luthor exclusively from pre-existing non-Luthor sources. Let's say a minimum of two sources and a maximum of 10 different sources (historical or fictional). Also, you can pick and choose which attributes from those sources your ideal Lex would take.

For example,

My Ideal Lex Luthor would be:

2 parts Reed Richards (both theoretical genius and inventive brilliance)

2 parts Victor von Doom (both armor and ambition)

2 parts Tony Stark (both charisma and sex life pre-Pepper Potts )

2 parts Bruce Wayne (both Batgod Anti-Supes prep and physicality)

2 parts Adolf Hitler (both oratory skills and persuasiveness)

10 parts total = my ideal Lex Luthor

What non-Luthor sources would make up your ideal Lex Luthor?

Of course Lex would see those guys as a group of mental midgets. At least when compared to his own giant intellect.
    John Martin, citizen & rightful ruler of the omniverse.

Azzarello's Lex was too much of a kkk type character. Also Azz sees Lex as nothing more than a nuisance to Superman. Most versions of Lex have come close to defeating/killing/destroying their versions of Superman. Most of Superman's victories come from details overlooked by Lex. Or from outright trickery on Superman's part. Lex hates Superman because he is always standing in Lex's way, keeping Lex from doing things he wants to do. Otoh defeating Superman is the only real challenge in Lex's life. And the only one he knows (other than Brainiac) whose intellect is anywhere near Lex's level.

Did Lex Luthor ever invent or discover a new element or molecule or alloy or substance? It so seems like something he would have done repeatedly, being both a scientist and inventor by trade.

There's got to be a Luthorium or Lexite (or Lexium or Luthorite) material somewhere in his 78 year history, right?

And if there was, what were its properties? Was it like Adamantium? Or Vibranium? Or that weird one that Observes Red had ... Carbonadium?

And if there somehow wasn't, by Rao, shouldn't there be?

If there isn't, I vote Luthorium as a durable material that absorbs any and all kinetic energy (be it speedforce, magical, solar-powered biofield, hi- speed energy beams, or regular punching) and converts it into more resistance for itself.

Basically, in his Luthorium-enhanced Lexosuit, Lex can absorb any and all superspeed and convert it to his own defenses, thus making Lex immune to superspeed blitzes from Superman (or Flashes or Wonder Woman or Cheetah or Shazam).

Has this been done before?
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 07-08-2018 at 07:24 AM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Of course, there are times when he would say, invent kryptonoid or successfully duplicate kryptonite. Kind of an obsessed guy much of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Of course, there are times when he would say, invent kryptonoid or successfully duplicate kryptonite. Kind of an obsessed guy much of the time.
    But, specifically: has he ever A) invented/ discovered a material that could negate superspeed and/or B) name said material after himself?

I believe he's been the creator of "Metal-0" which Metallo is made from.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Did Lex Luthor ever invent or discover a new element or molecule or alloy or substance? It so seems like something he would have done repeatedly, being both a scientist and inventor by trade.

There's got to be a Luthorium or Lexite (or Lexium or Luthorite) material somewhere in his 78 year history, right?

And if there was, what were its properties? Was it like Adamantium? Or Vibranium? Or that weird one that Observes Red had ... Carbonadium?

And if there somehow wasn't, by Rao, shouldn't there be?

If there isn't, I vote Luthorium as a durable material that absorbs any and all kinetic energy (be it speedforce, magical, solar-powered biofield, hi- speed energy beams, or regular punching) and converts it into more resistance for itself.

Basically, in his Luthorium-enhanced Lexosuit, Lex can absorb any and all superspeed and convert it to his own defenses, thus making Lex immune to superspeed blitzes from Superman (or Flashes or Wonder Woman or Cheetah or Shazam).

Has this been done before?

In the 40s he invented an alloy he called Luthorite. I don't remember the properties it had. But he intended to use it to build the starships, he needed for his conquest of the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post
    That would be awesome. I'd be curious to see who would be in the Legion with Lex if that were the case.

I will say that I very much enjoyed the petty Lex of All-Star Superman. He knew he was a supervillain, he just was so angry that he was ageing and Supes wasn't he stopped caring. If you go all the way with that kind of characterization I'm cool with it.

I tend to think that at some point Lex finds a way to make himself immortal.

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Last Son of Krypton? Is that a fan name for Man of Steel 2? Because I'm against Force Awakens style redos.

As for the late '80s and '90s, I definitely like a lot of those characters-- but unfortunately, I don't usually like their Lex! He got a little better later on in the late '90s, I suppose, but somehow I just never saw Luthor as someone who'd sell his daughter to Brainiac. He's too human for that.

Although I've gotta admit, those two panels with Happerson are absolute comedy gold. I still maintain that "Kingpin Lex" is a good enough character to exist in his own right, I just don't think he oughtta be Luthor, haha!
    I agree with that. Kingpin Lex as you call him is distinct enough from the pre-crisis Lex that he could be thought of as an entirely new character. Even if he is a scientist or an engineer himself, he so often delegates the sciencey stuff to people like Happersen and other Lexcorp scientists that it can easily be overlooked. Lexcorp Lex reminds me of all the entrepreneurs who are actually inventors themselves but their business sense is 99% the reason for their success and other, less recognized people did all the grunt work.

I keep saying that if there's ever another major reboot in the DC universe, make Lexcorp Lex a separate character. Call him Lionel Luthor or Lex Luthor Sr. and make him Lex's father, give him the exact same story and history as the 80s/90s/00s Lex pre-Birthright, and bring back the Lex that's fully dedicated to being a power-hungry scientist who does all the inventing himself. If there needs to be some kind of power structure, just make Lex the leader of some large criminal enterprise, similar to James Bond's SPECTRE. Ultra-Humanite was the leader of a criminal organization himself and he's basically the prototype for Luthor.
    Last edited by Last Son; 07-09-2018 at 12:25 PM.

So I saw in JUSTICE LEAGUE that Luthor uses a personal force field within his business suit:

I. Love. This.

I've always found Luthor's warsuits aesthetically lacking.

Like the ill-endowed guy who buys the largest loudest truck he can afford.

But this?

HUGE step in the right direction.