Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    Ok, but let’s all remember, I’m pretty sure Eisenburg was also supposed to be a serious, dark take on the character. And we know how that turned out.
    Nervous tics and behavioral quirks aside, manipulating geopolitical events in Africa to frame Superman, using innocent victims as pawns and discarding them like trash, masterminding the bombing of the United States capital, praying on Bruce Wayne's inherent PSTD to manipulate him to try and take out Superman, kidnapping and torturing Martha Kent to try to force Superman to fight Batman,and then ultimately recreating a Kryptonian death monster that suceeds in killing Superman, not to mention other crimes to facilitate all of this...i'd say that's actually pretty damn dark and serious.

Yeah Eisenberg's Lex didn't look and sound like our mental picture of what comic book Lex is "supposed to be"...but his deeds? That's pure Lex. Moreso than most of the other live action versions. Again, Spacey and Hackman we're perfect physically, but the Lex Luthor they potrayed was farther from classic Lex in deeds and motivations than Eisenberg.

That's why I'm keeping an open mind about Cryer. Or at least trying to.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 12-02-2018 at 06:00 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Controversial opinion, but I think Luthor is best as a campy, scene-chewing villain. Gene Hackman has been the best live-action Luthor to date, he captured the tone of the Pre-Crisis Luthor perfectly. The only thing is they could've played up the scientist angle but he was clearly very intelligent. The more serious Luthor of Post-Crisis was just Marvel's Wilson Fisk, The Kingpin. Hopefully Cryer can channel Hackman's Luthor in his upcoming stint in the role.

Lex Luthor (when written right) is the man who makes Reed Richards & Victor von Doom (put together) look like Forrest Gump. He is the man that gods, angels, demons should be terrified of. In a way he could be compared to Pablo Escobar. When you see his good side, you see a very good man. However when you see his bad side, you see one of the most evil beings to ever exist. I really miss Lex being Brainiac's go to guy.
    John Martin, citizen & rightful ruler of the omniverse.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Yes, a dramatic role that was a whopping 3 episodes long. Compared to the rest of 3-decade-plus career, which is about 96% comedy.

When has Jon Cryer ever, in that 30+ year career as a professional actor, demonstrated that he can play a serious villain?

(Checks imdb):

Oh wait, he did voice Felix Faust in JL/U for 3 episodes and again in JLAction for 1 episode! Yup, I'm sold: he can totally do Live Action Lex Luthor justice based on a total of 4 cartoon episodes!

His resume, combined with Berlanti's agenda (Everything Supergirl-connected must explicitly on-screen trump everything Superman-connected because "it's HER show derp derp"), leaves me with the feeling that we're getting Buffoon Lex who will be royally outsmarted by Lena.

Maybe he and Berlanti will surprise me. But I doubt it.
    Well if you were hoping for a goofy Lex Luthor it looks like you might be out of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    ‘Supergirl’: Kevin Smith Says Series Will Take Dark Turn With Lex Luthor: https://heroichollywood.com/supergir...th-lex-luthor/

Quote Originally Posted by llozymandias View Post
    It could turn out that Jon Cryer will be playing Lionel. That would make more sense than him playing Lex. Unless Lex has been doing some major time travelling.
    Ian Butcher already played Lionel Luthor in the the season two episode "Luthors". It was explicitly stated that Cryer will be playing the adult version of Lex.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Well if you were hoping for a goofy Lex Luthor it looks like you might be out of luck.
    If Lex isn't presented as being less dangerous and less capable than Lena in the final analysis, then I'll happily eat my words.

But I seriously doubt I'll have to. No way Lena doesn't outshine and outsmart her brother to prove her worth either as a hero (on Supergirl's side) or much more interestingly, as the series true villain (more evil than Lex).

But for now, even if we don't get Buffoon Lex, I expect we still get Less Than Lex, undone by Lena.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Ian Butcher already played Lionel Luthor in the the season two episode "Luthors". It was explicitly stated that Cryer will be playing the adult version of Lex.

So you are saying that Lex should be only around 5 years younger than his mother?
    John Martin, citizen & rightful ruler of the omniverse.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by llozymandias View Post
    So you are saying that Lex should be only around 5 years younger than his mother?
    Actors act. Often times playing characters younger or older than their real ages. All it takes is a little suspension of disbelief that Brenda Strong playing a character 10 years older than her actual age (late 60's rather than later 50's)and Jon Cryer playing a character 10 years younger than his (early 40's rather than early 50's) and there you have a reasonable 18-20 year age gap within story. Truth is people don't tend to age all that much within a decade of their age. I know some 50 year olds that look closer to 40 and some that look closer to 60. Plus again we are talking about very wealthy people with the Luthors. Is it unreasonable to believe Lillian hasn't had some work done?

Is the age difference between actors unusually close ? Yeah, but it's not without precedent especially on television.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    If Lex isn't presented as being less dangerous and less capable than Lena in the final analysis, then I'll happily eat my words.

But I seriously doubt I'll have to. No way Lena doesn't outshine and outsmart her brother to prove her worth either as a hero (on Supergirl's side) or much more interestingly, as the series true villain (more evil than Lex).

But for now, even if we don't get Buffoon Lex, I expect we still get Less Than Lex, undone by Lena.
    But of course Lena will outsmart Lex just like Kara is a better hero than Clark in this universe. I will be shocked if it doesn't play this way. The message of this show is that women rule all.

I remember Geoff Jonhs said that Lex was the smartest person on Earth in some documentary. I think on BvS bts. Guess not in Supergirl's show.

Also find it super hard taking this actor seriously as Lex. His face, his image doesn't resemble modern Lex at all for me. But I'm curious to find out how he does, and if for some reason he turns out decent, I'll say it.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    he captured the tone of the Pre-Crisis Luthor perfectly. The only thing is they could've played up the scientist angle but he was clearly very intelligent. The more serious Luthor of Post-Crisis was just Marvel's Wilson Fisk, The Kingpin.
    One is a scientist, the other is a sumo wrestler. Maybe they were both bold and dressed well, but since Luthor was bald, dressed well, and was slightly out of shape before Wilson Fisk was a character, shouldn't it be the other way around?

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    One is a scientist, the other is a sumo wrestler. Maybe they were both bold and dressed well, but since Luthor was bald, dressed well, and was slightly out of shape before Wilson Fisk was a character, shouldn't it be the other way around?
    No, Luthor wasn't a business big-shot until after Fisk was created. When Byrne & company decided to give him legitimate power and a suit is when Luthor stopped being Luthor and became Fisk. Luthor is and should be a scientist first, making him a tycoon was unnecessary when they could have used Morgan Edge to fulfill the same role.
    Last edited by Thor2014; 12-05-2018 at 05:24 PM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Luthor, before he was even called Lex, was basically a gangster. The underworld answered to him. Post crisis Luthor was a btilliant scientist who became rich and let his henchman do the grunt work of R&D, but he still used his own intelligence to initiate ideas and create most of his threat. Similar to the staff Bates gave him pre crisis. Wilson Fisk is a brute who enjoys being physical, which alligns more with the Lex who would repeatedly find ways to depower Superman to kick him around in the bronze age. Maggin is the one who came up with Lexcorp, which was pre crisis.

Mighty Member

I liked Luthor better when he was a decent upstanding honest criminal instead of a businessman...

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    I liked Luthor better when he was a decent upstanding honest criminal instead of a businessman...
    I’d like to see a version of Lionel turn into the Shady Buisnessman while Lex leads a Special Projects Division and acts more Meglomaniacal- Similar To Smallville. Lex was running round the world on Special Projects being totally Nefarious but a Total Genius, while Lionel became the Embodiment of a Shady Corporate Figure similarly to how he was on Earth 2 on the show or how Lionel was shown in the Flashpoint Timeline in the Comics
    Last edited by Denirac; 12-06-2018 at 09:25 AM.
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

BANNED

Matt Fraction possibly writing a Lex Luthor title for Black Label

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/12...c-black-label/