Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Well who whodda thunk that Cryer would actually be intriguing as Lex. I can't wait to see him.

Yes, I want that Superman show already!

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I think the concern is more that he's going to be brought in and used as a fall guy to make the usual cast look better, so in Lex's case, Lena will be made out to be superior to him in the way Clark is surpassed by Kara.

I don't watch the show, but that's the impression I got from the comment.
    Lena Luthor has already been established to be the superior character to Lex Luthor. Smarter, more level headed, a better inventor, more cunning. She was even a better chess player at 4 years old than a 13? year old Lex Luthor.

Still just from the trailer Lex seems to be a formidable villain that is going to give Supergirl a run for her money and maybe the scariest live action Lex yet. That's one thing I like about Supergirl as compared to previous live action
    Super shows, they aren't afraid to go dark with the villains. Smallville sort of went there, but I don't think quite as much. Don't recall any mass murderers that wiped out a whole bar full of people, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Lena Luthor has already been established to be the superior character to Lex Luthor. Smarter, more level headed, a better inventor, more cunning. She was even a better chess player at 4 years old than a 13? year old Lex Luthor.

Still just from the trailer Lex seems to be a formidable villain that is going to give Supergirl a run for her money and maybe the scariest live action Lex yet. That's one thing I like about Supergirl as compared to previous live action
    Super shows, they aren't afraid to go dark with the villains.
    Smallville sort of went there, but I don't think quite as much. Don't recall any mass murderers that wiped out a whole bar full of people, for example.
    You haven't seen Krypton on syfy yet then, because Brainiac murders a little girl. General Zod is also very cruel.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I keep rewatching that trailer. This Lex is legit scary. Who would have thought Lenny Luthor could pull it off?

Of course the trailer could be showing the best bits and it's all a big let down, but even these little snippits show that Cryer has it in him to do a scary and capable Lex Luthor.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    You haven't seen Krypton on syfy yet then, because Brainiac murders a little girl. General Zod is also very cruel.
    Well technically he's right.Supergirl came on the air first, but Krypton is doing Brainiac and Zod proud.

Smallville was the first time we saw anything credible with the rogues gallery in live action beyond Luthor and Zod,and we had great versions of them there. It's encouraging that Supergirl for all it's problems elsewhere (mostly with the overdone political stuff) it has done right by the Superman rogues. Of course I'd wish we were getting it on an actual Superman series, but it deserves it's props where it's due. And Krypton is just good SciFi.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?

Sam as Reign was attempting to murder her own daughter though. And Julia as Purity did murder her own son. It even showed Julia's young son haunting Julia and Julia sobbing "I killed him..., he's mine".

"Tell me, do you bleed?"

haha, I wasn't expecting a reference to BvS. Hmm, it's not the first time the Supergirl show references something from the films.

https://twitter.com/KCWE_TV/status/1105529283894759424

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Sam as Reign was attempting to murder her own daughter though. And Julia as Purity did murder her own son. It even showed Julia's young son haunting Julia and Julia sobbing "I killed him..., he's mine".
    Guess I prefer the way Krypton does it. Zod and Brainiac are particularly very cruel in Krypton show. Especially Brainiac..
    Last edited by stargazer01; 03-13-2019 at 02:03 PM.

Here's an article that's a Pretty good summation of Hollywood's past attempts at portraying Luthor.

Regarding that promo ... wow, gotta admit, I'm actually a bit excited? to watch tonight's episode of SUPERGIRL.

"I was supposed to be the Man of Tomorrow! Not him! NOT! HIM!"

"Superman made me do it."

Solid gold. Those may be the most Luthorian lines I've ever heard from any live-action Lex. Jon Cryer getting my hopes up there.

Really hoping SUPERGIRL doesn't automatically revert to POOPERGIRL like it tends to whenever Superman shows up.

Still expecting Lena to outshine Lex, but holding out hope that Lex is what pushes Lena over the edge to pure villainy herself.
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 03-17-2019 at 04:31 PM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

So I just got done watching it. WOW! He's gonna be a regular! Jon Cryer is an awesome Luthor! I won't spoil it but the twist at end was unbelievable!
    Assassinate Putin!

To my surprise, I really liked Jon Cryer as Lex in his first episode. Some good writing. I knew he was going to do all that, but the miss Teschmacher twist was a big surprise.

I wasn't a big fan of his magical watch, though, it was too convenient.

I'm still not a fan of this show, but as a big Lex Luthor fan, I wasn't disappointed. yet.

Astonishing Member

To my surprise, I really liked Jon Cryer as Lex in his first episode. Some good writing. I knew he was going to do all that, but the miss Teschmacher twist was a big surprise.

I wasn't a big fan of his magical watch, though, it was too convenient.

I'm still not a fan of this show, but as a big Lex Luthor fan, I wasn't disappointed. yet.
    I'm not a fan of the show either but who can resist a good Lex?

I will make a point to watch his episodes.

Saw the episode, Cryer was awesome. Why couldn’t the movies have picked him and Cameron Monaghan as Lex and Joker instead of the embarrassments we got instead?

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    Saw the episode, Cryer was awesome. Why couldn’t the movies have picked him and Cameron Monaghan as Lex and Joker instead of the embarrassments we got instead?
    In the case of both,it is more a matter of the writing than the actors. Both Eisenberg and Leto are decent actors and if given the proper material they could easily do noteworthy versions of Lex and Joker. I would still argue Eisenberg is a decent Lex Luthor and an improvement on Spacey and Hackman, but I know I'm in the minority with that opinion, so I won't fight that battle here. ( And Leto's Joker just felt like a non entinty. I nearly forgot he was even in Suicide squad.)

That being said, Cryer absolutely knocked it out of the park. This is the live action Lex Luthor I've waited all my life to see and in my opinion he is the best live action version of a fully villanous Lex Luthor to date. I thought Cryer had the potential to do a fairly decent Lex,but I never anticipated how good he would be. It was shocking.

It's a pity we will probably not see him play against Tyler Hoeklin's Superman this season. I really would like to see how they play off each other. This Lex and Supes have an interesting implied backstory to their rivalry and I'd like to see it explored.

I still want my live action Superman show damn it! Cryer's Lex alone would make it a must watch every week. Hell, let's give him his own series for DC's streaming service done in the style of Breaking Bad or the Sopranos by way of The Azzarello Luthor mini series from awhile back. I E. Where it's told from Lex's point of view. Where he's the hero in his story. "The House of Luthor" or just "Luthor" has a nice ring to it...
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 03-18-2019 at 08:33 AM.

Well, me watching Supergirl again (for Lex) didn't help the ratings to rise, unless they rise up in delayed viewings.

spoilers:

I sorta saw the Eve Teshmacher twist as soon as we find out Lex was secretly partnered with Lena on this serum. It's never said explicitly that Teshmacher shot Jimmy, but it was odd she was there at CatCo last episode in Jimmy's office. He came in and she brushed it off as wanting to see Cat's old office for nostalgic reasons. Between those two things I kind of realized she probably was planning how she'd enter the office later the next day to shoot Jimmy. So it didn't shock me that she was Lex's inside girl. I also figured Otis wasn't dead when they killed him off early in the season, but him being Lex's guard in disguise was a slight surprise. The escape scene was brilliant and pure Lex.

Still again, Cryer was great. I see bits of All Star Superman Lex, Rosenbaum's Lex, Hackman's Lex, even a bit of Eisenberg. It's a perfect distillation of the best versions of Lex. I certainly hope they don't kill him off at the end of the season. Even if they don't do a Superman spin off, Lex would not only make a good recurring Supergirl villain,but a good antagonist to use across the Arrowverse. If Lex isn't at least a cameo in CRISIS this fall, I'll be disappointed.

end of spoilers
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 03-18-2019 at 01:43 PM.