Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I don't particularly care for the Supergirl show. Given that, would you guys recommend watching just for Lex? I'm getting the impression that Cryer's performance is in fact worth admission. I've not loved how they dealt with Superman so I'm naturally a bit wary.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

A Superman spinoff would be worth it just for his Lex.
    Assassinate Putin!

I reserve the right to adjust my assessment in case SUPERGIRL goes Poopergirl on Lex like it did with Kal.

But ... based on just his debut episode ...

Jon Cryer is the best Live-Action Lex Luthor we've ever had!

Which is equal parts genuine high praise to Cryer and damning evidence of how low the bar was set for previous Luthors.

Lyle Talbot: haven't seen yet
    Gene Hackman: too much of a buffoon
    Scott James Wells: too much of a joke
    Sherman Howard: too crazy
    John Shea: not brilliant enough
    Michael Rosenbaum: never was truly adult Lex
    Kevin Spacey: forced to ape Hackman
    Jesse Eisenberg: too quirky
    Jon Cryer: emotionally & mentally, he totally nails Lex!

Personally, I prefer a Lex who is physically an Evil Bald Bruce Wayne, but beyond that ....

Jon Cryer sits upon the Lex Throne.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I don't particularly care for the Supergirl show. Given that, would you guys recommend watching just for Lex? I'm getting the impression that Cryer's performance is in fact worth admission. I've not loved how they dealt with Superman so I'm naturally a bit wary.
    Cryer was pretty good. Definitely worth checking out just for him. The CW soapy elements are there, as they always are, but you probably won't mind them as much because Cryer is so much fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    yes, Cryer's Lex is worth the sacrifice of watching that show. He's that good, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    A Superman spinoff would be worth it just for his Lex.
    Not for me. I like Cryer a lot as Lex, but I despise the CW Superman. I would not be able to put up with that, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    I reserve the right to adjust my assessment in case SUPERGIRL goes Poopergirl on Lex like it did with Kal.

But ... based on just his debut episode ...

Jon Cryer is the best Live-Action Lex Luthor we've ever had!

Which is equal parts genuine high praise to Cryer and damning evidence of how low the bar was set for previous Luthors.

Lyle Talbot: haven't seen yet
    Gene Hackman: too much of a buffoon
    Scott James Wells: too much of a joke
    Sherman Howard: too crazy
    John Shea: not brilliant enough
    Michael Rosenbaum: never was truly adult Lex
    Kevin Spacey: forced to ape Hackman
    Jesse Eisenberg: too quirky
    Jon Cryer: emotionally & mentally, he totally nails Lex!

Personally, I prefer a Lex who is physically an Evil Bald Bruce Wayne, but beyond that ....

Jon Cryer sits upon the Lex Throne.
    I'm on the same exact boat.. He's awesome now... And I totally love how you described all the Lex Luthor actors haha.

Consider this..

Jesse Eisenberg played a young Lex Luthor coping with the death of his recently deceased abusive father. It was an origin story for the character.

Jon Cryer played an older more bitter Lex Luthor who had battled Superman before. He also had an abusive father and family.

They could almost be the same character with few differences.

very interesting Jon Cryer interview

https://www.supermanhomepage.com/jon...hor-different/

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Michael Rosenbaum praises Jon Cryer's Lex...
    https://twitter.com/michaelrosenbum

Apparently Cryer is on Michael's podcast this week. Should be interesting to see them talk Luthor shop.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 03-20-2019 at 08:34 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

If you want to discover one of Lex greatest feat ever, I highly recommend reading Electric Warriors #5. I think a lot of minds will be blown.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Consider this..

Jesse Eisenberg played a young Lex Luthor coping with the death of his recently deceased abusive father. It was an origin story for the character.

Jon Cryer played an older more bitter Lex Luthor who had battled Superman before. He also had an abusive father and family.

They could almost be the same character with few differences.
    Some differences are that Eisenberg Luthor seems to have been born in a poor family while Cryer Luthor was born to wealth and inherited the family money and home.
    In that regard he is more like the Rosenbaum Luthor. Lionel Luthor in later two versions seeming to be similar characters. From what I remember the John Shea Luthor
    seems to have been a self made man too.

Also Cryer Luthor seems to have been a mama's boy, with his mother doting on him and defending him for any heinous acts he committed. I don't recall any of the other
    Lex Luthors having much involvement with their mothers.

I guess the biggest difference is the Eisenberg Luthor seems to be an only child. While all the other Lex Luthors, even Hackman Luthor, had a sister.

He captures Lex' arrogance here,

D2H4aH1UkAAm-K6.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Some differences are that Eisenberg Luthor seems to have been born in a poor family while Cryer Luthor was born to wealth and inherited the family money and home.
    In that regard he is more like the Rosenbaum Luthor. Lionel Luthor in later two versions seeming to be similar characters. From what I remember the John Shea Luthor
    seems to have been a self made man too.

Also Cryer Luthor seems to have been a mama's boy, with his mother doting on him and defending him for any heinous acts he committed. I don't recall any of the other
    Lex Luthors having much involvement with their mothers.

I guess the biggest difference is the Eisenberg Luthor seems to be an only child. While all the other Lex Luthors, even Hackman Luthor, had a sister.
    I have no idea how you came up with the conclusion that Eisenberg's Luthor dad was poor?

Also, just because he didn't mention a mother or sister, it doesn't mean he didn't have them.

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

If someone told me years before that Alan Harper would be a contenter for the best live-action Lex Luthor, i would laugh my guts out, but damn, he was so good. I watched his episode just for him.Great work indeed.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

In the case of both of our best live action Luthors , (Cryer and Rosenbaum) the one thing thing the actors have in common is they are primarily comedic actors. On paper Kevin Spacey was the perfect Lex. Great dramatic actor known for playing all types of roles, proper age, look, voice and body type etc... And he is arguably the most disappointing live action Lex.

I mean Rosenbaum... The guy is a goofball by nature who is in no way someone remotely Lex Luthor, and he was the best thing about Smallville and up till Cryer, the undisputed best live action Lex.

Maybe the key with casting Lex is casting against type.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    He captures Lex' arrogance here,

D2H4aH1UkAAm-K6.jpg

I have no idea how you came up with the conclusion that Eisenberg's Luthor dad was poor?

Also, just because he didn't mention a mother or sister, it doesn't mean he didn't have them.
    In the ultimate cut of BvS, Lex mentions to the senators his father came from West Germany prior to the fall of the wall and how his father had to pretty much bow to tyrants. That implied his father came from humble beginnings and built Lexcorp . However, that could have been a made up story to manipulate the situation in his favor. With any version of Lex you always have to ponder if what he's telling you is the truth or another deception.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    In the ultimate cut of BvS, Lex mentions to the senators his father came from West Germany prior to the fall of the wall and how his father had to pretty much bow to tyrants. That implied his father came from humble beginnings and built Lexcorp . However, that could have been a made up story to manipulate the situation in his favor. With any version of Lex you always have to ponder if what he's telling you is the truth or another deception.
    I only watched the UC of BvS once... too long for me. So yeah, don't remember some things, but even if his dad wasn't wealthy when young, Lex jr probably was born when his dad was already rich or on his way up.

Maybe the key with casting Lex is casting against type.
    I don't really see the correlation. I think it's the writing and direction mainly. Maybe Jon Cryer had been paying attention to criticisms from fans and critics and wanted to do Lex more justice than before?

It remains to be seen how his character is handled in the following episodes. Knowing this show writers and their disdain for Superman, I won't be surprised when I feel somewhat let down..
    Last edited by stargazer01; 03-22-2019 at 12:44 PM.