Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member Jonah Weiland's Avatar

Default Mobile Options for vBulletin & a New Server

Hey All,

Now that the Community has been successfully rebooted, it's time to spend some money on making this community more accesible.

First off, a new server has been ordered today. It'll probably take a week to get here, then another to get it set up and ready to go, but that's coming. Should help with the slow loading, that's for sure.

When we decided to reboot the community, we held off getting a new server hoping that the smaller database size would help responsiveness. Well, that didn't happen and while the new Community is a bit faster than it was, it lags too often. Thus the upgrade.

Secondly, we're investigating mobile options. The default available via vBulletin is pretty bad. vBulletin does have a mobile suite for sale, but I honestly don't know how much better it is. We're investigating.

Additionally, it seems there are two different mobile app offerings available for vBulletin -- Tapatalk and Forum Runner.

Tapatalk looks good, but it actually hurts forum owners. For one, there's no way for forum owners to monetize the app and no way for forum owners to claim the traffic in the app in Google Analytics. Tapatalk DOES serve ads, but all the money for those ads goes to Tapatalk. Everytime you read a post via Tapatalk, it costs the forum owner in bandwidth, lost ad revenue and also in traffic. This is a no go, unless they have a paid version which we've not been able to discover.

Forum Runner used to offer customized apps as recently as a year ago, but their site doesn't contain any info about that at the moment. I've written their support account to find out, but at the moment it appears Forum Runner may be no better than Tapatalk, but I'm not giving up hope.

For those of you who frequent other forums that are of the same size/scale of the CBR Community, what do you see people using for mobile? Does anyone have any feedback on vBulletin's mobile suite? What other forums do you use that use either Forum Runner or Tapatalk?

Thanks in advance for your feedback. We definitely want these forums to be mobile optimized, but it needs to be the right option for all involved.
    -- Jonah Weiland
    -- Just Another Comic Book Fan
    Tweets | Webs
    | 'grams

It turns out that Forum Runner no longer does custom branded apps. Instead you have to use their app, which they monetize and forum owners get nothing.

So, time to keep looking.
    -- Jonah Weiland
    Tweets | Webs
    | 'grams

This, right now, with the full site available on mobile is perfect!

Thank you for shutting off that painful mobile function! It's much appreciated.
    Freedom is the ability to live without fear of persecution.

Based on my searches today, the options are pretty limited for mobile optimized versions of vBulletin (forum software). The mobile version you all saw seems to have been universally hated. It appears vBulletin 5 (we're running 4) has a slightly better mobile suite, but it still doesn't give you the option to choosing desktop view without a plug-in.

If anyone has a forum they visit that runs vBulletin 4 or 5 with a good APP or mobile view, please suggest them below so we can investigate.
    -- Jonah Weiland
    Tweets | Webs
    | 'grams

One possible option is to install the Metro theme:

http://themeforest.net/item/metro-mo...tin-42/4013274

We could pretty it up a bit (mostly placing our logo in there), but beyond that it is what it is. It's inexpensive, so I don't mind trying it. Also, it includes links to full site if you don't like it.
    -- Jonah Weiland
    Tweets | Webs
    | 'grams

Lin Kuei Grandmaster Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

This right here is just perfect. I'll happily make due with this.
    DBM | Sarada | Parsley

ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Zero MKA View Post
    This right here is just perfect. I'll happily make due with this.
    No this is not perfect. The full site is very difficult to navigate on mobile. The mobile version wasn't perfect but I rather have it than not for reading the forums. I have another tab open for the main site to read the news.

I would've suggested tapatalk app as every other forum I visit uses tapatalk as the standard. Thank you for the explanations on why tapatalk is not a viable option right now. Clears up a lot of questions.

Just having the full site available is servicable for the time being

..........hmmmmm too bad I wasn't able to get into that Web developement class awhile back or I mightve been competent enough to whip up a custom mobile them

I think we may try that alternate mobile theme late this week when we have some time to play with it. At a cost of only $25 and some admin time, it's worth trying.
    -- Jonah Weiland
    Tweets | Webs
    | 'grams

All-New Member

Tapatalk have started a beta for forum owners to monetize with in app ads

https://blog.tapatalk.com/?p=25&iframe=true

I'm happy with the way that it is now, and I don't want to lose it as an option.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Patski View Post
    Tapatalk have started a beta for forum owners to monetize with in app ads

https://blog.tapatalk.com/?p=25&iframe=true
    Sadly, the rev share they offer is horrible.
    -- Jonah Weiland
    Tweets | Webs
    | 'grams

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah Weiland View Post
    I think we may try that alternate mobile theme late this week when we have some time to play with it. At a cost of only $25 and some admin time, it's worth trying.
    Jonah, this sounds good. Any idea when it will be implemented?

As long as there's an option at the bottom of the page to switch between the mobile theme and full site this should work fine, shouldn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Fan View Post
    Jonah, this sounds good. Any idea when it will be implemented?

As long as there's an option at the bottom of the page to switch between the mobile theme and full site this should work fine, shouldn't it?
    Possibly late this week. I have my designer working on a few things first, so this is a low priority. But soon.
    -- Jonah Weiland
    Tweets | Webs
    | 'grams

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah Weiland View Post
    Possibly late this week. I have my designer working on a few things first, so this is a low priority. But soon.
    Jonah, any update??