Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Let's take your discussion of the Superman movies to the Superman forum.

This isn't the place for it.
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post

-Man chasing after a woman is ok.
    -Woman chasing after a man is ok.

-Man throwing himself at a woman like a desperate fanboy shows a lack of dignity.
    -Woman throwing herself at a man like a desperate fangirl shows a lack of dignity.

Nope! No double standards at all.
    I didn't saw the second situation on Jl cartoon

And while we're at it, let's keep the personal commentary off the boards as well
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

I really have no problem with Bruce Timms, or that he goes darker in this, it's just like time travel I'm sick and tired of it. It's becoming so that there is no appeal in seeing animated series. Once they were to lift your spirits, actually have happy endings, but those days seem to be gone. I doubt I will take any interest in watching this.

Amazing Member

No, we don't like him because he promoted Batman over every other member of the Justice League. We don't like him because he powered down Superman to ridiculous levels. We don't like him because he made Wonder Woman a lovesick schoolgirl, who was also laughably weak, compared to how powerful she's supposed to be.
    Powered him down? I would rather say Superman has been powered up to ridiculous levels in other adaptions of the character. Originally he was not remotely close to the powers he has now. In fact he couldn't even fly. They started evolving his powers, which wasn't bad and rather good; however, they increased it without limits. Although at some point they realized how ridiculous that was. Wouldn't Superman destroying a whole solar system by sneezing be wonderful in Justice League?

If you don't like something like Superman: TAS then I don't know what would satisfy you.

I just checked and Timm produced GL: Emerald Knights, the GL TV series, WW animated movie, and all the Batman animated movies we've had over the years like "Under the Red Hood". And i loved all of those. The JLU universe was their first work and since then they have only gone upwards. I dont believe that after all this time they'll make this TV show and let any fanboism run rampant to the disservice of other characters.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lwx View Post
    Powered him down? I would rather say Superman has been powered up to ridiculous levels in other adaptions of the character. Originally he was not remotely close to the powers he has now. In fact he couldn't even fly. They started evolving his powers, which wasn't bad and rather good; however, they increased it without limits. Although at some point they realized how ridiculous that was. Wouldn't Superman destroying a whole solar system by sneezing be wonderful in Justice League?

If you don't like something like Superman: TAS then I don't know what would satisfy you.
    In the JL cartoon, Superman takes cover from ordinary bullets. One of the most iconic images in comics is the sight of Superman standing around, completely unimpressed, as bullets bounce of his chest. And Timm couldn't even give us THAT much.

He doesn't need to destroy whole solar systems by sneezing. You're thinking about his Silver Age power levels, where he basically had no limits at all. But he should be the most powerful hero in the DCU. He should be able to do impossible things. He should be able to not get his ass kicked every other episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    I just checked and Timm produced GL: Emerald Knights, the GL TV series, WW animated movie, and all the Batman animated movies we've had over the years like "Under the Red Hood". And i loved all of those. The JLU universe was their first work and since then they have only gone upwards. I dont believe that after all this time they'll make this TV show and let any fanboism run rampant to the disservice of other characters.
    Oh, he produced the WW animated movie? That explains why she couldn't fly, I guess. Timm like his Wondy weak, after all.

And Timm let his fanboyism rule one Justice League series. I see no reason at all to believe he won't do it again.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Lwx View Post

STAS was okay, but it wasn't spectacular or anything like that. I thought Byrne's run, which more or less was the inspiration for the cartoon, was better. Also, the cartoon took the Byrne version, which already was toned down from previous comics, and made him even weaker, and that only served to please fans who specifically like Superman to be that level of power, and also to help them write their stories, instead of adapting their stories to baseline (Byrne) Superman.

Anyway, here's a joke I like to tell. In Justice League season one, Superman was weak, and the show was not that great. In season two, Superman was pretty much up to Byrne levels, and the show was a lot better. These things are not entirely coincidences.

EDIT: Season one of JL had more or less the same power level as STAS. This is even by the staff's admission. One of these days, I should find some of the animated GIFs I made pointing out how weak they made Superman, and how much he got amped for season two.

Oh, he produced the WW animated movie? That explains why she couldn't fly, I guess. Timm like his Wondy weak, after all.
    I don't think he tends to make her throw-an-aircraft-carrier powerful, but generally they do go out of their way to give her the best hand-to-hand fight scenes in the JL movies.
    Last edited by DochaDocha; 09-25-2014 at 10:03 AM.

And Timm let his fanboyism rule one Justice League series. I see no reason at all to believe he won't do it again.
    I am sure he has a personal vendetta against her. Gimme a break man.

BANNED

Well Azzarello WW version didn't fly too, she only got flight after hermes gave it to her.

I made a thread about this a couple of days ago. Here's how it went:

Announcement>People hating on Bruce Timm>Arguments about Wonder Woman's portrayals
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    I am sure he has a personal vendetta against her. Gimme a break man.
    I didn't say he had a personal vendetta against her. I said he likes her weak, and lacking in intelligence and competence.

None of that requires a personal vendetta. Just total apathy for the character and a total lack of interest in showing her half the respect he shows Batgod.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    Well Azzarello WW version didn't fly too, she only got flight after hermes gave it to her.
    Yes, exactly. Azz had her START without the ability to fly. Then he GAVE her the power to fly as part of his overall planned story.

I have no problem with that. I would prefer to have Diana start with the ability to fly, but if your plan is to let her gain the power as part of your story, then that's fine with me. The Wonder Woman animated movie? Her lack of flight was planned from start to finish of the story.

Don't get me wrong, that's just about the ONLY complaint I have about the animated movie, so it's a relatively minor thing to me. It just makes sense now that a Wonder Woman movie would feature a less-powerful Wonder Woman if Bruce Timm was involved.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post

Announcement>People hating on Bruce Timm>Arguments about Wonder Woman's portrayals
    Yeah, you're leaving out the overzealous John Stewart fans screaming "Death to Hal Jordan!" every five seconds. Or the same fans going on and on about how one bad movie means that the general public will only accept John Stewart as Green Lantern. Or the Batman fans and their never-ending defense of all the Batgod worship in the show.

Sorry that not everyone in the world shares your opinions.
    Last edited by Vanguard-01; 09-25-2014 at 02:04 PM.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post

Lacking discord about Hal vs. John.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    What does the Azz version of Wondy have to do with the animated movie that was put out years before Azz started writing the series?

They didn't talk about 'judicious use of power' in her animated movie. They simply ignored/depowered Wonder Woman by taking away her power of flight, something she has had since the Perez era as well as every incarnation of her in the Justice league animated series.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I actually had no problem with Diana never flying in the animated movie. It's possible they were planning sequels where she gained the ability. Besides, WW having the Invisible Plane is way more iconic, so they probably wanted to justify using that. She was more in line with her pre-Crisis power levels, which is a perfectly valid take.

That film had bigger problems. Like Etta.