Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Of Gods and Men: Eternals Appreciation

Thought I would make this for that awesome if underappreciated Kirby concept that is the Eternals. The creation of the Celestials who stand alongside their mortal enemies that are the Deviants and normal human beings. These cosmic demigods have long remained hidden in the world and arguably served as one of the first superheroes in humanity.

So, we honour them in this thread and no appreciation would be complete without pictures! So, here we go:

I'm kind of hoping that they get the same kind of push in the future that the Inhumans are getting now.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

I'd like to know if it's only the Olympian gods that they stood in for, or other pantheons as well. I know that Ajak's worked with the Incan gods, but that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    I'd like to know if it's only the Olympian gods that they stood in for, or other pantheons as well. I know that Ajak's worked with the Incan gods, but that's all.
    Looks like all are Greek/Roman mythology inspired. Having said that, the Forgotten One was mistaken for Gilgamesh in the past and there is Ajak as you said. There are some though that have no ties to a god but to different cultures. New Eternals had the Native American style Ceyote and Chinese style Chi Demon. There is also Kingo Sunen who trained in the arts of a samurai. So, it seems that they did have ties in other cultures beyond those that worshipped the Olympian pantheon. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if they had ties to other civilizations as well but its just that no one seems to have an interest in the poor old Eternals

Yeah, I mean they had Siberian and Pacific cities too, so why couldn't they have interacted with the Dievas (Russian/Slavic gods) and Akua (Polynesian gods) respectively.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Love the Eternals, especially what they bring to the MU. I've always felt they were a better "godly" fit for the universe than the pantheons.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Loved the Eternals ever since the Thor plotline where the Olympians decided they'd had enough of the imposters and invaded. I still have a little part of me that wishes Gilgamesh would rejoin the Avengers.

I was exposed to them through the Gaiman/Romita jr. Miniseries. I picked up at the library, it looked interesting enough, and I loved it. I wish marvel would use them more.

Quote Originally Posted by Blindpugh View Post
    I still have a little part of me that wishes Gilgamesh would rejoin the Avengers.
    You and me both!

One thing I was kind of hoping with the larger Avenger's cast is perhaps a representative from each of the different groups on Earth. So, an Eternal might be a good addition but sadly its not the case... at least, not at the moment.

There's always hope. At least we might get Sersi back in the fold if not Gilgamesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Nix Uotan View Post
    One thing I was kind of hoping with the larger Avenger's cast is perhaps a representative from each of the different groups on Earth. So, an Eternal might be a good addition but sadly its not the case... at least, not at the moment.
    I had a similar idea about a pan-racial council, from the Eternals, Deviants, Inhumans, Atlanteans, Vampires, Mutates, Magic Users, etc. sans Avengers identity. But not Illuminati either.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Blindpugh View Post
    There's always hope. At least we might get Sersi back in the fold if not Gilgamesh.
    I would be happy with either personally... Sersi more so as the Avengers have several brick-like characters already on their team

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    I had a similar idea about a pan-racial council, from the Eternals, Deviants, Inhumans, Atlanteans, Vampires, Mutates, Magic Users, etc. sans Avengers identity. But not Illuminati either.
    One would think that with the sheer number of races on 616-Earth that something like this would form but they all seem to operate in their own worlds. But with AvX and stuff it seems there is a greater push now to having these different aspects of Marvel interact with one another which is good.

I love the Eternals, always felt that like their DC counterparts in the New Gods they weren't being used nearly as well as they could be.

I really wish a writer with enough popularity and the ability to craft epic stories with the necessary plum to make the book unique could write a Eternals ongoing or Maxi-series. With the Inhumans forcibly brought down to Earth, the Eternals are probably the only group that could craft a ensemble story about a high fantasy/sci fi society existing just outside of the normal society of the Marvel universe.

Apologies for the bump but thought I would mention the two Eternal mentions recently. First was in All New Invaders with Ilaris briefly under the Kree's command and now the Eternals planning to get revenge for that. The second is more recent... New Warriors, the Eternals make a surprising appearance at the end of the issue. Enjoy Eternal fans!

Quote Originally Posted by Wellman View Post
    I love the Eternals, always felt that like their DC counterparts in the New Gods they weren't being used nearly as well as they could be.

I really wish a writer with enough popularity and the ability to craft epic stories with the necessary plum to make the book unique could write a Eternals ongoing or Maxi-series. With the Inhumans forcibly brought down to Earth, the Eternals are probably the only group that could craft a ensemble story about a high fantasy/sci fi society existing just outside of the normal society of the Marvel universe.
    I really liked the Chuck Austen written, Kev Walker illustrated MAX Eternals. I like the concept of the Eternals, but most of the characters don't strike a note with me. I was very interested in seeing what Neil Gaiman was going to do with the characters, but between 1602 and the Eternals (which I felt was hampered by JR Jr art), I wasn't really all that impressed with what Gaiman brought to Marvel.

I would like someone at Marvel to re-invent the concept of the Eternals, but not make it grounded. Make it "high fantasy/sci fi", like you said.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Oh, also...please have a great artist. I seriously loved everything Esad Ribic did with Thor. Can he do it again with a re-imagining of the Eternals?
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/