Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Let's Get X-TREME - The Adam-X Appreciation

So, I may be one of the few that actually really enjoys the concept of this character. I had a thread going, but it vanished during the "Wipe Event" (a funny take on a New Universe reference). Anyway, will post more back in here - but figured I'd begin with what Fabian N. himself posted in my very thread:

Posted by: FabianNicieza
    On: 04-01-2014 08:05 PM

The simple honest truth is Adam-X never got the chance to be the character he could have been.

It was an opportunity interrupted by a combination of constant editorial changes to agreed upon story plans and then indecision on finalizing revised plans.

I still have in my collection of art, a really nice Adam-X penciled page by Jeff Johnson, who co-designed the character with me and would have been my first choice to draw the character in a mini-series or X-Men Unlimited spotlight issue back then.

I have no idea what has happened with him in print, or that whole Vulcan story, and it is whatever it is, but I can guarantee you, I never would have introduced him or the concept of a third brother unless I had a very compelling story to tell about a very interesting character.

Water under the bridge now, but the character has always gotten a bum rap, mostly from people who never read his few appearances.

Keep the faith, you never know, maybe someday I'll get to tell his story the right way...

-- Fabian
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!

I was hoping you'd salvage that reply.

While I'm partial to Gambit, I think Adam would have made a far better choice for 3rd Summers brother than Vulcan.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    I was hoping you'd salvage that reply.
    While I'm partial to Gambit, I think Adam would have made a far better choice for 3rd Summers brother than Vulcan.
    I agree - I mean Fabian basically LAID IT OUT for Adam-X to be that 3rd Summers brother. And if anyone who cared about continuity, would have seen THAT was the way to go rather than the massive retcon of Giant Size X-Men...

Actually Adam X could never have been a third Summers brother because he isn't a Summers. But third Summers brother was a fan coined term anyway. Still he could have made a great character given the chance. Or maybe not, who knows. He was really 90's character but it probably would have been a lot better still than the way they retconned Giant Size X-Men. It's pretty unlikely that we'll ever get a chance to see those original plans for him revisited but I guess everything's possible.
    Last edited by Tomppa; 05-07-2014 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomppa View Post
    Actually Adam X could never have been a third Summers brother because he isn't a Summers. But third Summers brother was a fan coined term anyway. Still he could have made a great character given the chance. Or maybe not, who knows. He was really 90's character but it probably would have been a lot better still than the way they retconned Giant Size X-Men. It's pretty unlikely that we'll ever get a chance to see those original plans for him revisited but I guess everything's possible.
    Well, he would have been a Summers brother, through the fact that his mother was Katherine Summers - if what I speculated was true about Adam-X. (Naturally, I am not sure exactly what Fabian planned).

But I speculated that when Christopher (Corsair) Summers and Katherine were abducted - Corsair, as we saw, was thrown into the slave pits, while Katherine was kept alive. I speculated that either, tests were done on her for her genetics - or that D'Ken may have impregnated her - and took the embryo and grew it - detecting great genetic potential for mutation within her (which is why both Scott and Alex were born mutants). That infant/embryo was accelerated by Shi'ar technology, which would explain why Adam-X has no memories of his own youth.

He mentions that he did plenty of battle type arenas - this could have been to test his potential. Then perhaps, at some point, he had memories of Earth, from his mother's genetics (or just "sensed" that Earth was his home) and ventured to Earth, with little to no memories. Martin Strong, who finds him, calls him "Adam-X" and the rest they say is history.

I have an entire write up about him on my site. I did the whole write up for his profile on the Marvel site, as well as Neurotap and Martin Strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-X View Post
    Well, he would have been a Summers brother, through the fact that his mother was Katherine Summers - if what I speculated was true about Adam-X. (Naturally, I am not sure exactly what Fabian planned).

But I speculated that when Christopher (Corsair) Summers and Katherine were abducted - Corsair, as we saw, was thrown into the slave pits, while Katherine was kept alive. I speculated that either, tests were done on her for her genetics - or that D'Ken may have impregnated her - and took the embryo and grew it - detecting great genetic potential for mutation within her (which is why both Scott and Alex were born mutants). That infant/embryo was accelerated by Shi'ar technology, which would explain why Adam-X has no memories of his own youth.

He mentions that he did plenty of battle type arenas - this could have been to test his potential. Then perhaps, at some point, he had memories of Earth, from his mother's genetics (or just "sensed" that Earth was his home) and ventured to Earth, with little to no memories. Martin Strong, who finds him, calls him "Adam-X" and the rest they say is history.

I have an entire write up about him on my site. I did the whole write up for his profile on the Marvel site, as well as Neurotap and Martin Strong.
    I actually just meant that he wouldn't have been a Summers (genetically) because his (assumed) father was D'Ken, not Christopher Summers. I've actually read about his appearances and background even though only comics that he appeared in that I've read were those Dark Reign related comics. Him being son of D'Ken and Katherine Summers would have connected the Shi'Ar royal family into extended Summers family tree which is ridiculously large if you count all major alternate kids, lol (it would include Magneto's family, Richards family, Wagner/Darkholme/Creed family and Pym/Wasp family)

BANNED

oops sorry I hit Alt+S by mistake.
    Last edited by DDD; 05-07-2014 at 06:43 PM.

I actually just meant that he wouldn't have been a Summers (genetically) because his (assumed) father was D'Ken, not Christopher Summers. I've actually read about his appearances and background even though only comics that he appeared in that I've read were those Dark Reign related comics. Him being son of D'Ken and Katherine Summers would have connected the Shi'Ar royal family into extended Summers family tree which is ridiculously large if you count all major alternate kids, lol (it would include Magneto's family, Richards family, Wagner/Darkholme/Creed family and Pym/Wasp family)
    Yeah, I would only include the "alternate" ones who have made it into the regular "616" of Marvel (Rachel Grey, Nathan Summers, Nate Grey, etc). Because if you go into all the alternate realities, it would be a mess.

Welcome to the Summers/Grey bloodline!

Adam-X would be a wonderful addition to the Starjammers. Hell, they've got Korvus on the team now...
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-X View Post
    Yeah, I would only include the "alternate" ones who have made it into the regular "616" of Marvel (Rachel Grey, Nathan Summers, Nate Grey, etc). Because if you go into all the alternate realities, it would be a mess.
    Yeah. I actually made a mistake in my comment since Shi'ar royal family is already connected to Summers family tree even without Adam X because Vulcan married Deathbird... Damn that's messy. Adam X and Vulcan are probably maternal half brothers and then Vulcan's wife is also Adam X's paternal aunt...

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Welcome to the Summers/Grey bloodline!
    Adam-X would be a wonderful addition to the Starjammers. Hell, they've got Korvus on the team now...
    I couldn't agree more. Way, way, way back when I wrote a fanfic that did just that - put Adam-X on the Starjammers. Just seems to be a natural fit. And would be cool, that Corsair would watch after him, despite not being his own son; but a son of his deceased wife. I think there's a story there just waiting to unfold.

Yeah. I actually made a mistake in my comment since Shi'ar royal family is already connected to Summers family tree even without Adam X because Vulcan married Deathbird... Damn that's messy. Adam X and Vulcan are probably maternal half brothers and then Vulcan's wife is also Adam X's paternal aunt...
    Yeah, you put it that way and it starts to sound like a soap opera.

This is the profile I had made for Adam-X (to look like the OMUHB)...

ADAM-X

Aliases: X-Treme
    Identity: Secret
    Citizenship: Citizen of the Shi'ar Empire.
    Place of Birth: Ch'ylaritha
    Known Relatives: D'Ken (supposed father, deceased), Unknown Mother (Unknown) Assumed: Philip Summers (grandfather), Deborah Summers (grandmother), Katherine Anne Summers (mother, deceased), D'Ken (father, deceased), Lilandra Nermani (Aunt), Cal'Syee Nermani (Deathbird Aunt), Scott Summers (Cyclops, half brother), Alexander Summers (Havok, half brother), Gabriel Summers (Vulcan, half brother), Jean Grey-Summers (Phoenix, sister-in-law, deceased), Madelyne Pryor-Summers (ex-sister-in-law, deceased), Nathan Christopher Summers (Cable, nephew), Aliya Jenskot (niece-in-law, deceased), Tyler Dayspring (Genesis, grandnephew, deceased), Stryfe (clone nephew, deceased), Rachel Summers (Marvel Girl, alternate timeline niece)
    Group Affiliation: Formerly employee of Martin Strong
    First Appearance: X-Force Annual #2
    History: The complete truth to Adam-X's past still remains clouded in mystery.

Adam-X was unsure of who he was and where he was from. He was taken in by Martin Strong to work for Strong Industries. He had developed a friendship with Michelle Balters (Neurotap), but was later forced to track her down, when she decided to flee from Strong Industries. X-Force arrived on the scene and assumed that Adam-X was the one to be taken down. Under Cable’s command, the members of X-Force made a valiant attempt at bringing Adam-X down, but in the end failed. Adam-X was forced to down the members of X-Force by using his powers to ignite the electrolytes in their bloodstream. In the confusion, Michelle Balters had managed to escape.

It would not be much longer until Adam-X and the members of X-Force would run into one another yet again. After another brief battle, Adam-X and the members of Cable’s X-Force temporarily joined forces to return to a plant just outside Denver to take down Martin Strong, the owner of Strong Industries.

With Martin Strong’s defeat, Adam-X declines membership to X-Force, choosing instead to seek out the pieces to his past and uncover more about himself.

In the Artic, Adam-X witnesses the crashing of Phillip Summer’s plane. Within minutes, he manages to cover over six miles, reaching Phillip Summers, the grandfather of Scott and Alex Summers.

When the plane explodes, knocking both Adam-X and Phillips Summers over, Adam-X manages to twist and turn, using his body to take the blunt of the blast, as well as the landing. Believing that there is nothing to be done, Phillip Summers encourages Adam-X to save himself. However, Adam-X refuses and uses his powers to ignite the electrolytes in Phillip Summer’s bloodstream to keep him warm, until the morning sun rises.

Adam-X manages to get Phillip to a hospital where he is greeted by Jean Grey and Scott Summers. Adam-X asks Jean to peak in his mind and share the visuals he has there to give to Phillip. In those thoughts, he shares a memory of boarding a Shi’ar Kjeth’ya Scout Craft.

Adam-X would next encounter Legacy, the son of Captain Marvel. Under the influence of Eric the Red’s mind control, Adam-X attacks Legacy; but with his help is able to break free of Eric the Red’s mental hold.

Together, Legacy and Adam-X track down Eric the Red. It’s there that Eric the Red explains that Adam-X is dubbed “The Forsaken One” and that he is a hybrid of specific genetic potential into the Shi’ar monarchy – and that Adam-X was born to rule the Shi’ar throne as the only living child of Majestor D’Ken.

Eric the Red explains that Katherine Summers was not immediately killed by D’Ken. He had been fond of Katherine and kept her as a consort, while Christopher Summers Corsair was sent into the slave pens. For a time, D’Ken used Katherine as his pleasure maid, until one day Christopher escaped from the pits and made his way to the palace, where he was recaptured. As punishment, it was there that D’Ken made Christopher watch as he killed Katherine Summers.

Adam-X appears after a long time off the radar, at the Gene Pool Bar among a few others. With him are Julian Keller - better known as "Hellion"; Ben Hammil - better known as "Match"; Lorelei Travis; Dominikos Ioannis Petrakis - better known as "Avalanche"; Jeremiah Muldoon - better known as "Meld"; Roberto Da Costa - better known as "Sunspot." They're gathered to fight and put an end to Normon Osborn's presence in San Francisco - which is supposedly a haven for all Mutants. They decide to make their stand at Union Square Park.

Despite claiming that causing a massive explosion and fight would be a bad idea - because as mutants, they're considered evolved and should act as such - it doesn't take long till the anger takes over and Hellion lights up most of Union Square Park. Normon Osborn's "Dark X-Men" - which consists of Cloak, Dagger, Weapon Omega, Namor, Mimic, Wolverine II (Daken) respond to the threat and arrive at Union Square Park by teleporting through Cloak.

White Queen defeats Hellion with a mental blast, while Cloak manages to envelope Lorelei. Dagger attempts to take out Adam-X, but he blocks her daggers of light with his sword. Mimic tries to take out Match by freezing him, but fails. Weapon Omega successfully takes out Meld. White Queen manages to save Avalache's life when Wolverine II tries to kill him.Namor knocks out Sunspot, and the last one defeated is Dagger, when she kicks him into Cloak's shadows.

They are then brought to Alcatraz, where Normon Osborn has set up base. Cyclops arrives and tells Osborn to surrender. But of course, Osborn refuses and swears he will see Cyclops dead. Emma Frost demands that the prisoners be protected and that she be shown what Normon Osborn plans on doing with the mutant prisoners.

Adam-X surfaces again to help stop Juggernaut, who has been enhanced by the Norse God of Fear. Several others attempt to stop Juggernaut before Adam-X arrives. Avalanche attempts to separate the road; but Juggernaut continues to walk. A mutant named Face, blasts him with his 'annihilation beam' which proves ineffective; Pixie attempts to teleport Juggernaut away, but it's ineffective; Rogue attempts to absorb his powers and render him unconscious; she is instead, rendered unconscious and rescued by Magneto. Mercury tries to fill his lungs; but she's expelled, whens he realized she was being dissolved while inside Juggernaut; Pyslocke tries her psychic blades, but they too, prove ineffective. Adam-X is the only one, who proves effective in doing anything to Juggernaut; he manages to ignite his blood, however, the downside is that Juggernaut, for fifteen minutes burns anything he touches.

Height: 6'1
    Weight: 180 lbs.
    Eyes: Blue
    Hair: Blonde
    Powers: X-Treme is a Shi’ar/Mutant Hybrid that is capable of igniting the electrolytes present in the bloodstream, causing the person to burn from the inside out. X-Treme possesses exceptional control of his power; able to incinerate objects, or simply use the power to create a warming sensation. In order to ignite the electrolytes, X-Treme has used blades to cut the flesh and oxygenate the blood. Whether this is necessary or simply makes the power more effective, remains unknown.

X-Treme is a Shi’ar/Mutant Hybrid that is capable of igniting the electrolytes present in the bloodstream, causing the person to burn from the inside out. X-Treme possesses exceptional control of his power; able to incinerate objects, or simply use the power to create a warming sensation. In order to ignite the electrolytes, X-Treme has used blades to cut the flesh and oxygenate the blood. Whether this is necessary or simply makes the power more effective, remains unknown.
    Accessories: X-Treme wields cybernetic, retractable blocking blades forged of an unknown Shi'ar metal.

Love this image of the character (clearly since I use the name and this picture for the avatar)...

One of the few figures I kept after I got rid of all the rest of them...

Some cool photos of Adam-X in action...

Getting smacked by Shatterstar (was a great issue when these two squared off)...

And kicking the smack out of Shatterstar...