Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

What I find funny is that takes a personality inversion as part of a storyline to change the personality of some characters. I suppose writing a character as learning from his or her mistakes is boring. Just once I would actually like to see a villain reform for longer than five years. Or written as going back to the dark side yet not forgetting everything they learned while they were reformed. Villains that fall from grace seem to be written as getting a perosanlity lobotomy of some sort everytime.
    Jean loves me this I know because the church says it so.

Havok and Emma were right.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Well, this is from the December's solicts:

"AVENGERS & X-MEN: AXIS #7 & 8 (OF 9)
    RICK REMENDER (W)
    Issue #7 - ADAM KUBERT (A)
    Issue #8 - LEINIL FRANCIS YU (A)
    CoverS by JIM CHEUNG
    Issue #7 - INVERSION VARIANT BY GREG LAND
    Issue #7 - YOUNG GUNS VARIANT BY RYAN STEGMAN
    Issue #8 - INVERSION VARIANT BY TBA
    Issue #8 - VARIANT BY MIKE DEODATO
    ACT III: NEW WORLD DISORDER
    THIS IS IT! THE BATLE ROYALE OF YOUR DREAMS--THE ASTONISHING AVENGERS VS THE UNCANNY X-MEN FOR THE FATE OF NEW YORK!
    32 PGS. (EACH)/Rated T+ …$3.99 (EACH)"

I can read that solicit 100 times with that phrase bolded and still not see the point. Avengers vs. X-Men, sure, but which are the bad guys? Are either side good guys? Who's on either team at that point in the story?

For all we know the X-Men at that point could be down to Doop, inverted Deadpool, and Toad fighting an AA team of inverted Stiltman and Elektra.
    Last edited by ImprobableQuestion; 09-20-2014 at 07:23 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by sureshot View Post
    What I find funny is that takes a personality inversion as part of a storyline to change the personality of some characters. I suppose writing a character as learning from his or her mistakes is boring. Just once I would actually like to see a villain reform for longer than five years. Or written as going back to the dark side yet not forgetting everything they learned while they were reformed. Villains that fall from grace seem to be written as getting a perosanlity lobotomy of some sort everytime.
    To be fair, at least there will be a story reason for everyone acting out of character this time...highly unusual in a Marvel story these days.

Quote Originally Posted by ImprobableQuestion View Post
    I can read that solicit 100 times with that phrase bolded and still not see the point. Avengers vs. X-Men, sure, but which are the bad guys? Are either side good guys? Who's on either team at that point in the story?

For all we know the X-Men at that point could be down to Doop, inverted Deadpool, and Toad fighting an AA team of inverted Stiltman and Elektra.
    Do you really dont know who are we supposed to cheer for in that fight ?.
    I would be believe you more if the solict were about "THIS IS IT! THE BATLE ROYALE OF YOUR DREAMS--THE ASTONISHING AVENGERS VS THE X-MEN FOR THE FATE OF NEW YORK! "; in that case, they could be talking about anyone......................

Besides, the Astonishing Avengers are the team, that apparently, is replacing the Uncanny Avengers; so i dont think that is going to be a team like the Superior Foes of Spider-man.

But after all, we know basically nothing about Cyclops' side during AXIS; well besides, that Cyclops is involved in this, and that image of Kitty of robbing a bank.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    But after all, we know basically nothing about Cyclops' side during AXIS; well besides, that Cyclops is involved in this, and that image of Kitty of robbing a bank.
    And Punching hulk right in his gammaroided brain, don't forget. Because if there is one thing we could guess from post-Axis, is that Kitty Pride is going to kick more asses than anyone on MU, FINALLY. She will become essentially a female version of Chev Chelios with intangibility power.

Quote Originally Posted by grinningdemon View Post
    To be fair, at least there will be a story reason for everyone acting out of character this time...highly unusual in a Marvel story these days.
    Yes, indeed, not only but this "inversion" probably give some free range to writer to experiment some ideas that normally would be vetoed. Come handy, considering that the "ultimate Sand Box" is kind of become a silent graveyard except for Miles Morales/Spiderman
    Quote Originally Posted by ImprobableQuestion View Post
    I can read that solicit 100 times with that phrase bolded and still not see the point. Avengers vs. X-Men, sure, but which are the bad guys? Are eithe] side good guys? Who's on either team at that point in the story?

Indeed, one thing that is easily forgotten is that regardless of the name, is the rooster tha make a team and give story dynamic. After all the West Coast Avengers/force works were Avengers, as well as that ragtag team of jokes that Jean Grey collected to take down Magneto(WORST ROOSTER EVER, compared to them the Great Lake Avengers looked like uber serious grim and gritty team! What the hell Jean Grey was smoking at the moment?!?!)

About the inversion itself i've two theories on how it work. They are just ideas but i would like to hear your opinion guys about them, out of curiosity:
    First the data we got: We know that at some point during the Axis event, Red Skull will release a wave of pure hate worldwide, we know that he enlisted the help of some villains and heroes who normally would never ever work with him, suggesting the use of mind control, we know that at some point Dr. Doom and Scarlet will get involved into a magic thingie(is Von Doom the next surname Wanda will add on her passport..?..I hope so for sake of shenanigans and weird family reunions ), We know that after this magic thing a lot fo character will fell "inverted". We know that the inversion is NOT a complete change of personality as much as a small change in the mind that has a domino effect on the character.
    Theories:
    1) The inversion is an Attempt of Dr. Doom of getting rid of the external influence of Red Skull. Due some unknown factor the thing go haywire and instead o gettig rid of the influence of the telepathic attack of RS, it get rid a random number ov villains and heroes present at the moment of those psychological influnces of their life. All those biases, obsessions, compulsion and psichological repressive mental constructs..gone. Like as example Carnage obsession with Chaos. He still remain insane and psycho, but now try to be an hero.
    2) The inversion is a magic spell supposed to convert the opposing here at the Red Skull cause, but since both Wanda and doom are not doing it by free will, it don't go well, and instead swap some elemnt of the psyche amongst the people present. Example Hobgoblin get the honesty of Luke Cage, while Stark get the financial ruthlesness of Hobgoblin and so on.
    Now is very likley these are completely wrong theories and thing won't be like that but i would like to listen what you come up to and what you think about guys. (possibly in civil way....:P)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baron of Faltine View Post
    Yes, indeed, not only but this "inversion" probably give some free range to writer to experiment some ideas that normally would be vetoed. Come handy, considering that the "ultimate Sand Box" is kind of become a silent graveyard except for Miles Morales/Spiderman
    Given the current status quo at Marvel, I don't think they need an inversion to take chances...take a look at the state of some of the characters and books.

As for Ultimate, this is what happens when you kill everyone off...is there even anyone left that hasn't been killed and replaced? There's taking chances and then there's outright stupidity...and they crossed that line with Ultimatum.

Quote Originally Posted by grinningdemon View Post
    Good point. Usually all it takes is not a hell of lot for them to out of character. Or for a writer to throw away years of backstory and alter a character to use him in a story.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

The inversion is caused by Red Skull. That's what I figure. When he become skull slaught he most likly, uses Xavier's powers to, send, out a, wave of, hatred that inverts characters. Skull will then not be the focus and we'll get a battle between avengers and, xmen and, inverted bad guys which will see many, things, happen
    X-Men Forever

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by berserkerclaw View Post
    The inversion is caused by Red Skull. That's what I figure. When he become skull slaught he most likly, uses Xavier's powers to, send, out a, wave of, hatred that inverts characters. Skull will then not be the focus and we'll get a battle between avengers and, xmen and, inverted bad guys which will see many, things, happen
    Then in issue 8 Sentry goes apesh*t and rips Skull in half, snapping the heroes out of it and leaving one more issue to team up against him.

Really looking forward to seeing all these inverted characters.
    Particularly Nightcrawler - I have a feeling he's gonna be a fun one to read.
    Trying to catch up on 2 years of Marvel comics.....
    Comic Book Parody - Funny comic book stuff.
    X-Men: Drama of the Atom - An unfinished Battle of the Atom parody.

Anyone know whose personality will be inverted during the Axis storyline? Sabertooth is one. Mystique I think another.
    They'll likely make a reason as to why Mystique won't be affected, such as her shapeshifting powers protecting her from mind-altering attacks.
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

Quote Originally Posted by Myetche View Post
    They'll likely make a reason as to why Mystique won't be affected, such as her shapeshifting powers protecting her from mind-altering attacks.
    Her powers should protect her. Then again unlike Xavier the Red Skull can and will go all out with his powers on someone like Mystique. Xavier because of who he was as a person would hold back. The Red Skull is going to use his powers to the fullest extent. Maybe even to a point where Mystique powers and psi-shield will not protect her. I do hope your wrong about them making a reason as to why she will not be affected by the personality inversion. If Sabertooth is going to be affected why not her character. As well if her marriage to Xavier is canon the character is going to have to be given a new personality. Even if Xavier will is legal and binding. No way no how is psychotic, sociopathic clown with a anti-X-men obsession be allowed anywhere near the JGS let alone a mile.

Quote Originally Posted by anthony_lynch15 View Post
    Really looking forward to seeing all these inverted characters.
    Particularly Nightcrawler - I have a feeling he's gonna be a fun one to read.
    As am I. Even though something tells me the writer will take a easy way out and make Nightcrawler personality similar to the AOA version imo.

Ultimate Member

Cyclops will become a pompous egomaniac who actually takes advantage of his seemingly supernatural ability to make women hot for him, and start bedding every attractive female in sight. Come on, you really think that Remender wouldn't go there?

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Cyclops will become a pompous egomaniac who actually takes advantage of his seemingly supernatural ability to make women hot for him, and start bedding every attractive female in sight. Come on, you really think that Remender wouldn't go there?
    Sadly I want to disagree. Truly I can't. Remender can and will go there. Purely to spite the fans imo.

As am I. Even though something tells me the writer will take a easy way out and make Nightcrawler personality similar to the AOA version imo.
    Going with your theory, I have a feeling that Nightcrawler won't be the only "AOA" character in Axis. So far it looks like its just Kurt, Sabertooth, and Sunfire... for now.