Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Xavier Mindwipe Situation

I can't find the thread that we originally talked about Xavier just mindwiping the Original Five once they made it back. It didn't occur to me until I reread All New X-Men 5 recently. If they did go back and if Xavier did mindwipe them. Wouldn't he still have that knowledge and memories of their adventures in the present? Wouldn't he, himself, make a bigger point of guiding Scott so that Scott doesn't end up killing him in the future?

During Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar, he may have just stayed in space with Havok/Polaris/Rachel so that he wasn't on Earth, annoying Scott with his inability to do anything of worth. Or he would have told Cyclops to not go to the moon and have Tony Stark split the Phoenix Force into five segments. Or he would have told Scott to go to the moon, then Scott wouldn't have gone to the moon and problems are solved.

Or Xavier would have just not volunteered to talk to Cyclops when he is going full Dark Phoenix and just stayed home and let Scott run his course.

If the Original Five go back, Xavier will fix the problem. Now he just has to wait until one of them learns he marries Mystique and either avoid that or speed that connection up.
    http://www.shadowandflamewithmagik.com/

My Blog following the adventures of Kitty Pryde, Lockheed and Magik

I think the idee is that he could mind-wipe them without first reading their mind. Or Jeen could do it herself as she said during BotA.

But, anyway, the mind-wipe stuff is less and less probable as time pass. Mind-wiping someone won't make them look younger. It won't remove Jeen powers. It won't rollback changes in their personality. (And before we start arguing about that, lets get real : Xavier could erase ther mind totaly but that would be as bad as doing nothing. I may erase some selected memories but he wouldn't be able to erase personality changes)

Bendis has, obviously, some other explaination planed. (if he has any explaination at all...)

Yeah, they will be noticably older or at least, harden. Jean's level of skill has increased by a billion percent.

I imagine in the earlier days, that Xavier would have to have read their minds first to know what to erase. Even if he just a surface level glance, one of the five will have the thought that Cyclops killed him and that's all Xavier will need to know to prevent his own death. If Cyclops is mad, just give him some space.

And there is another thing that doesn't make sense with the mind-wipe explanation : The X-Men messed with the future, to try to avoid it, in many occasions. Why wouldn't they want to do it this time ?

The only reason not to try to change the future is outside of the book : it's the readers that don't want all of what they read to be retconed.

The mind-wipe option was always willful thinking from Beast.

If it was just a single title from a small comic company, they could just go right back to Uncanny X-Men 9 and do everything all over again.

Which is what I was sort of hoping Marvel would have done Post-One More Day with Spider-Man to show us the actual changes as many comics would have been changed if Mary Jane wasn't his wife but just a girlfriend.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JackalsIII View Post
    If it was just a single title from a small comic company, they could just go right back to Uncanny X-Men 9 and do everything all over again.

Which is what I was sort of hoping Marvel would have done Post-One More Day with Spider-Man to show us the actual changes as many comics would have been changed if Mary Jane wasn't his wife but just a girlfriend.
    That might have actually made it all make sense...and that isn't allowed at Marvel...it's magic!

I still hope the O5 branch out in their own reality when they go back and we get to follow their adventures from there without affecting the present day titles...if all this is only headed for an inevitable mindwipe then all the character development is a total waste of time...of course, there is always another option where they get sent back and mindwiped but then their present day counterparts regain those lost memories and it changes their outlook on things...now that I think about it, that might be the best way.
    Last edited by grinningdemon; 09-19-2014 at 04:34 PM.

Or as Moffat said after destroying and re-creating the universe in Doctor Who: "The whole universe came exactly as it was. Except for any continuity errors I need to explain away."

Top Class Breeding ;) Mr. Brightside's Avatar

The way I see it, they'll send them back, but since the present can't be changed if the writer doesn't want it to be changed, nothing will happen, except that the O5 will go back to a reality no longer being 616. in DoFP, Rachel sent Kitty back in time, and stopped 616 from having their future. But in their own present (Earth811), nothing happened. Beast did something like that: He got the O5 from the past into the present, aka changing the present by manipulating the Past, even though nothing is happening to said present, as nothing happened to Rachel's present. The only thing that would be loopy is Tyke's death resulting in Cyke's vanishing act, but I'm sure Bendis would ignore that.
    CANON: "Cyclops, the most important mutant in 616" - The scientific community of the 616

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Brightside View Post
    The only thing that would be loopy is Tyke's death resulting in Cyke's vanishing act, but I'm sure Bendis would ignore that.
    I am sure he wouldn't. Bendis was first writing crims comics. If he went to all the trouble to write that specific scene, he did it on purpose.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Narasinha View Post
    I am sure he wouldn't. Bendis was first writing crims comics. If he went to all the trouble to write that specific scene, he did it on purpose.
    It could be whatever force is keeping them in the present was also responsible for that so everyone would THINK they were changing the past.

Quote Originally Posted by grinningdemon View Post
    It could be whatever force is keeping them in the present was also responsible for that so everyone would THINK they were changing the past.
    I still think that the adult Jean Grey is the responsible of all of this mess.

They'd have aged. By the time they're sent back they'll be in their late 30's.

BANNED

I hope they're not mind-wiped whether on purpose or by accident when they go back.I know that it would lead to another Age of ____ fill in the blank but they way things are going in the X-verse and the 616 Marvel needs a soft reboot and the O5 should be the trigger.With all that has happened in the 616 as a whole there is a lot of things that needs to be rest.A lot of misery and deaths could be prevented in the 616.But knowing that majority of the really hates mutants in the O5 original time period the general public will not heed the warnings of the X-Men but that knowledge can be used to save more mutants than they could've in their original time period.I seriously doubt that Xavier will throw away the best chance he has at saving more mutants thanks to the future knowledge that the O5 will possess.Knowledge of where the Sentinel factories are is just the tip of the iceberg.Just think of how many lives could be saved with this knowledge.And not just mutant or human lives but also a lot of the lives lost in the 616.If Xavier do mind wipe the O5 I hope he at least use the O5 memories to truly unite mutant and humankind instead of just throwing that life saving knowledge away.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBeast View Post
    I hope they're not mind-wiped whether on purpose or by accident when they go back.I know that it would lead to another Age of ____ fill in the blank but they way things are going in the X-verse and the 616 Marvel needs a soft reboot and the O5 should be the trigger.With all that has happened in the 616 as a whole there is a lot of things that needs to be rest.A lot of misery and deaths could be prevented in the 616.But knowing that majority of the really hates mutants in the O5 original time period the general public will not heed the warnings of the X-Men but that knowledge can be used to save more mutants than they could've in their original time period.I seriously doubt that Xavier will throw away the best chance he has at saving more mutants thanks to the future knowledge that the O5 will possess.Knowledge of where the Sentinel factories are is just the tip of the iceberg.Just think of how many lives could be saved with this knowledge.And not just mutant or human lives but also a lot of the lives lost in the 616.If Xavier do mind wipe the O5 I hope he at least use the O5 memories to truly unite mutant and humankind instead of just throwing that life saving knowledge away.
    Marvel doesn't need any kind of reboot...they've already set a dangerous precedent with Spiderman...X-Men history is convoluted but no more than the Avengers and that franchise is still gaining in popularity...a reboot is not a fixall...if it were, DC wouldn't have to do it every 15 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by grinningdemon View Post
    Marvel doesn't need any kind of reboot...they've already set a dangerous precedent with Spiderman...X-Men history is convoluted but no more than the Avengers and that franchise is still gaining in popularity...a reboot is not a fixall...if it were, DC wouldn't have to do it every 15 minutes.
    And you know, what if the reboot is just from 2004-5 onwards ?.