Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BANNED

Drag me to hell was okay , there's a hell lot more worse horror movies out there. It might be a bit too dependent on jump scares but I kind of felt bad for the girl , she didn't deserved to be condemned like that.

Spectacular Member

I liked Drag Me To Hell. It wasn't scary. Honestly there aren't really any truly scary movies anymore. It was amusing and funny at times. It was what I expected from Sam Raimi.

While not necessarily movies, there is the old Tales From the Crypt TV show. I popped some episodes in the other night. I forgot how great the TV show was.

Quote Originally Posted by Paper Monkey View Post
    While not necessarily movies, there is the old Tales From the Crypt TV show. I popped some episodes in the other night. I forgot how great the TV show was.
    Ohh I forgot about those. They were pretty good stuff. Have you ever seen the Creepshow movie?

Quote Originally Posted by VivaChiba View Post
    T.D.,

Th13teen Ghosts was hated by pretty much everyone I know and I can't think of anyone who watched more than an hour.

Drag Me to Hell suckered a load of people I know into a cinema trip and out of say, 25 people, I only know one girl who enjoyed it, the rest pretty much hating it.

Totally different films but in my circles, both loathed, hence being paired together.

I'm following this thread for some Halloween tips though, so now that I've explained the remark, I'll refrain from argument (since you clearly disagree with the opinion of my own and that of the people I know regarding DMtH).
    I haven't even seen "Drag Me To Hell."

That wasn't my point at all-- I'm not saying you're wrong for not liking it; I'm saying it's super weird that someone would claim to be "amazed" that other people would like a movie when that is the overwhelming majority opinion. I didn't like "Guardians of the Galaxy" all that much, but I recognize that I'm in the minority in that regard, so it would seem awfully silly (and presumptuous) to be surprised when people disagree with me.

Being "amazed" that someone else could possibly hold a different opinion than you is never a great way to foster discussion.

You guys made me smile thinking about Monster Squad, I had to go online to buy the movie after reading all the posts, loved that movie as a kid
    "Half this game is ninety percent mental." - Yogi Berra

T.D.,

I'm glad that we're not arguing, so allow me to clarify:

I'm not surprised to learn that somebody may have a difference of opinion, however, cultural differences in mentality can be quite astounding, hence my (maybe poorly worded) remark.

Let's take the film Galaxy Quest: pretty much despised by everyone I knew who even bothered to attempt to watch it, in London, England, it was over 20 years later that I discovered many Americans have incredibly fond memories of it.
    This is probably the reason why I've never understood comedies from Asia.

We can learn from these cultural differences.

T.D.,

I'm not surprised to learn that somebody may have a difference of opinion, however, cultural differences in mentality can be quite astounding, hence my (maybe poorly worded) remark.

Let's take the film Galaxy Quest: pretty much despised by everyone I knew who even bothered to attempt to watch it, in London, England, it was over 20 years later that I discovered many Americans have incredibly fond memories of it.

Okay, I gotcha. I suppose one of these days I should watch "Drag Me To Hell" and then we'll have to chat about it

Anyway, back to the original topic.

I've never seen any Hammer Horror films, so I'm planning on marathoning several Cushing/Lee features.

As far as movies I watch every year, Scream always makes it into my rotation (An all time favorite), and I'm looking forward to seeing The Cabin in the Woods again for the first time since theaters.

My friend showed me the other day that there is an fantastic online stream that shows old Nickelodeon stuff all day everyday. Its called nickreboot.com. On Halloween they will be showing a 24 hour Halloween Special marathon. Old stuff like Doug, Rugrats, Are You Afraid of the Dark, Tiny Toons, etc.

Here is the schedule for what will be shown.

BANNED

ThisTV is doing a Godzilla Marathon tonight, so I'll likely watch that. Might also watch Rigor Mortis later tonight, since I've been meaning to watch it for some time now.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by T.D. View Post
    I haven't even seen "Drag Me To Hell."

That wasn't my point at all-- I'm not saying you're wrong for not liking it; I'm saying it's super weird that someone would claim to be "amazed" that other people would like a movie when that is the overwhelming majority opinion. I didn't like "Guardians of the Galaxy" all that much, but I recognize that I'm in the minority in that regard, so it would seem awfully silly (and presumptuous) to be surprised when people disagree with me.

Being "amazed" that someone else could possibly hold a different opinion than you is never a great way to foster discussion.
    Drag Me to Hell is great, and I might even say it's better than The Evil Dead 2. Although not as good as the first Evil Dead.

BANNED

T.D.,

Over 20 years later? Are you a time traveler? Do all Londoners have police boxes? Is this some kind of internet age version of Frequency? Because even if you just discovered this today, you would still have a few more year to go before twenty.

I'm also not sure if many American's have even seen Galaxy Quest. It's only in the last few years it seems to be getting a good reputation for whatever reason...which is good, because it's a really funny parody of Star Trek. I'm just not sure why it started happening a few years ago, and not when it first showed up on HBO.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Oh, I haven't seen any of the Paranormal Activity movies. I know some are actually prequels. Would it be better to watch them in release order, or chronologically?
    Do yourself a favor and stop after the first one. I tried watching one of the later ones on Netflix last year, pretty sure it was the forth one. It's a movie where literally nothing happens, it's actually kind of amazing they got quite a bit of money to do nothing at all. The highlight of the movie is they turn a 360 Kinect on, making the room full of green lights; because at least then something is visually happening in the movie.

The second one wasn't as bad as that, but the way characters keep bring up plot details so you can get story info feels very very very contrived.

Troll Hunter and The Last Exorcism are both much better found footage movies.

BANNED

Here are my suggestions, though they are films you have probably never heard of...

Suspiria - creepy, psychological horror, with a fun twist halfway toward the end...though several websites that show the plot spoil that twist, including wikipedia, so beware
    Antropophagus - most zombie movies feature hordes of zombies...this features one. it's absolutely terrifying and very bloody too
    StageFright: Aquarius - one of the best slasher films I have ever seen. perfectly done
    5 Dolls for August Moon - creepy but fun!
    Demons 1 & 2 - some consider them cheesy, and I don't really think they're that scary, but they are really fun to watch and feature some disgusting monsters
    City of the Living Dead - such an awesome zombie movie! kept me up for weeks with night terrors
    The Beyond - sequel to COTLD, regarded by some as one of the greatest horror movies of all time, along with greatest zombie movie of all time
    Opera/Terror At the Opera - a great giallo, with an incredible twist and beautiful cinematography
    Let Sleeping Corpses Lie - excellent zombie film, the first zombie film to be in color actually.

Those are only a few, haha...let me know if you'd like me to recommend more.

Keep in mind, if you're one of those people who watches horror films with their child (if you have a child) I would not recommend doing so with these movies. They are very very bloody. They don't hold back with anything. For instance in Antropophagus there is a scene where Antrophagus rips out a pregnant woman's unborn child and eats it. They show everything. So yeah...don't show your kids. Unless you're a super awesome (or super crazy) dad/mom. But if you don't have a child or are not watching the movies with a child then you're fine.

BANNED

Oculus
    Sinister
    Insidious
    The Original Fog (1980's)
    Hammer films in general.. they are awesome.
    Black Sabbath 1963

Sleepy Hollow, Johnny Dep.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mattperiolat View Post
    You would be right. Never would short Lugosi, but I do have a soft spot for the Oldman version and its style.
    I also thought Oldman was terrific as the Count. Of course, Christopher Lee did an exceptional job in the Hammer series of films, ditto for Jack Palance from the Dan Curtis telefilm from the 1970's. Then there's The Night Stalker which still gives me chills, oh, yeah, almost forgot about 'Salem's Lot (the 1979 original version) which I could NEVER watch with the lights off!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!