Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default READING LIST: The Essential Deadpool

With a Deadpool-starring solo movie finally in the works, here are the five best comics to read in order to really get to know the merc with a mouth!

Full article here.

Incredible Member RobertoDaCosta's Avatar

I don't think Dead Presidents is the best arc of the current volume, "The good, the bad and the ugly" would be my choice
    Bring back Ultimate Dazzler!!

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoDaCosta View Post
    I don't think Dead Presidents is the best arc of the current volume, "The good, the bad and the ugly" would be my choice
    Agreed. I think the writer just hopped on amazon and picked the top selling books.
    If they were a Deadpool fan they would have picked the tpb with Gail Simone's wonderful run with art by Udon.
    How about Alex?

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoDaCosta View Post
    100% agreed.

I don't consider Way's run essential either. It was the longest run by a single writer.. but not essential. His DEAD arc is probably the one I would recommend reading. But Cable and Deadpool by Nicieza much more so.

Including Way but no Cable/Deadpool? For shame.

Classics/Joe Kelly's run are definitely worth reading as is Wade's time on X-Force.

While Duggan definitely needs to be on this list I think Dead Presidents is the weakest arc. It does great set up, but the payoff is later. Definitely would put 'the good, the bad and the ugly' up instead.

Not mentioned, but are good favorites of mine, are Tieri's weapon X run and Gail Simone's run. Probably not must read but I feel they both nailed DP in their own way.

Tieri's Agent of Weapon X arc is actually my personal favorite non-Kelly story from the original series.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    Including Way but no Cable/Deadpool? For shame.

Classics/Joe Kelly's run are definitely worth reading as is Wade's time on X-Force.

While Duggan definitely needs to be on this list I think Dead Presidents is the weakest arc. It does great set up, but the payoff is later. Definitely would put 'the good, the bad and the ugly' up instead.

Not mentioned, but are good favorites of mine, are Tieri's weapon X run and Gail Simone's run. Probably not must read but I feel they both nailed DP in their own way.
    I agree with everything here; I especially dug Simone's brand of zaniness!

--Tom

If I were to make my essential list for Deadpool it would be (listed in chronological order):

X-Force HC Vol.1-3 which collects his earlier appearances as a villain so he isn't the center of the story
    Deadpool Classic vol. 1 (the transition period to Kelly's run which collects the Circle Chase and Sins of the Past miniseries and basically starts his anti-hero turn also has issue 1 of Kelly's run)
    Deadpool Classic vol. 2-5 (Joe Kelly's run)
    Deadpool Classic vol. 9-10 (Simone's run plus Agent X)
    Cable & Deadpool by Fabian Nicieza
    Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender
    Deadpool Marvel NOW/All New Marvel NOW by Gerry Duggan and Brian Posehn(especially the third arc: the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly) and related miniseries:
    - Deadpool Dracula's Gauntlet also by Duggan & Posehn leads into issue 27 of the main series
    - Hawkeye vs Deadpool by Gerry Duggan has a very good start and also ties in to the main series.
    - The upcoming Death of Wolverine: Deadpool and Captain America #1 by Duggan is supposed to be an epilogue to the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Honorable Mentions:

Deadpool Classic Vol. 6 (Priest's run)
    Deadpool Classic Vol. 8 (Tieri's run)
    Last edited by pinoypanzer; 09-21-2014 at 01:45 PM.

Couldn't agree more, pinoypanzer.

definitely agree with pinoypanzer thats a good list woudl leave way's run out of it idk if it was just me but i felt it was meh all around

Lucky me. My library is now letting us read Joe Kelly's omnibus on Deadpool. Can't wait to finally read about Wade.

Nicieza's run on Cable & Deadpool was awesome fun, as was Victor Gischler's Deadpool: Merc With A Mouth.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by pinoypanzer View Post
    If I were to make my essential list for Deadpool it would be (listed in chronological order):

X-Force HC Vol.1-3 which collects his earlier appearances as a villain so he isn't the center of the story
    Deadpool Classic vol. 1 (the transition period to Kelly's run which collects the Circle Chase and Sins of the Past miniseries and basically starts his anti-hero turn also has issue 1 of Kelly's run)
    Deadpool Classic vol. 2-5 (Joe Kelly's run)
    Deadpool Classic vol. 9-10 (Simone's run plus Agent X)
    Cable & Deadpool by Fabian Nicieza
    Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender
    Deadpool Marvel NOW/All New Marvel NOW by Gerry Duggan and Brian Posehn(especially the third arc: the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly) and related miniseries:
    - Deadpool Dracula's Gauntlet also by Duggan & Posehn leads into issue 27 of the main series
    - Hawkeye vs Deadpool by Gerry Duggan has a very good start and also ties in to the main series.
    - The upcoming Death of Wolverine: Deadpool and Captain America #1 by Duggan is supposed to be an epilogue to the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Honorable Mentions:

ABSOLUTELY RIGHT ON. My favorites are cable and deadpool, classics volume one (circle chase/sins of the past), joe kelly classics, uncanny x force, and good bad ugly.

Im really glad the movie has finally gotten back on track .. but also a little bummed about it, because I own almost every deadpool issue that is a deadpool title.. BUT I don't own a copy of New Mutants 98.. Sadly, I probably never will now as prices will be astronomical.. they've already gone up quite a bit.. My LCS had a copy slabbed at 9.2 for $200 last month. Shouldve pulled the trigger.. prices online have already doubled and I don't have that kind of money for a comic.

Quote Originally Posted by tfranzone View Post
    ABSOLUTELY RIGHT ON. My favorites are cable and deadpool, classics volume one (circle chase/sins of the past), joe kelly classics, merc with mouth, and good bad ugly.

Im really glad the movie has finally gotten back on track .. but also a little bummed about it, because I own almost every deadpool issue that is a deadpool title.. BUT I don't own a copy of New Mutants 98.. Sadly, I probably never will now as prices will be astronomical.. they've already gone up quite a bit.. My LCS had a copy slabbed at 9.2 for $200 last month. Shouldve pulled the trigger.. prices online have already doubled and I don't have that kind of money for a comic.
    Do you have X-Force #2? That's going to skyrocket too according to Liefeld. Garrison Kane is probably going to play a large role in the film.

Quote Originally Posted by pinoypanzer View Post

Honorable Mentions:

Forgot about the Priest (not Tom Cruise) arc. Yeah I liked Pool hanging with Constrictor and faux Titania it was good comedy. Also thinking back on it it makes me miss Copycat.