Default The Ten Greatest Spider-Man Stories (Circa 1998)

Shortly after their 1997 article on how to fix Spider-Man, Wizard had a Spider-Man themed special, which included their list of the ten greatest stories with the character.

What stories do you think should have been included? Which stories should have been bumped off the list? And how would it be different ten years later?

Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

The rest of the countdown.

Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Never read or heard #3, and I'm surprised KLH isn't on that list.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

One of the 3 greatest Marvel stories of all time (alongside Born Again and Marvel Two-In-One Annual #7 "And they shall call him...Champion!", where Ben Grimm gets in an intergalactic boxing match for the fate of the planet) at #9. I'm just glad I didn't put my fist through the screen. Never even heard of #3.

I figure by now, you'd include Spider-Man: Blue, No One Dies, some USM, and if I had my way, Mark Millar's run on the Marvel Knights title.

The Hyde/Cobra story seems awfully high on this list. Doesn't seem like it'd be a candidate for a top 10 list. Everything else looks good, though.

What's funny is half those stories don't even appear in Wizard's own hardcover of the 10 Greatest Spidey Stories Ever! So clearly even Wizard doesn't agree with its own list.

But really any list with Uncle Rog dominating and a side of PAD can't be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Turlast View Post
    The Hyde/Cobra story seems awfully high on this list. Doesn't seem like it'd be a candidate for a top 10 list. Everything else looks good, though.
    I find any list that puts four of my stories above The Master Planner Trilogy ("If This be My Destiny...") to be suspect.

I mean, it's flattering, but come on!

-- Uncle Rog
    I am not on MySpace. I am not on Facebook. I am not LinkedIn. I do not "Tweet." But I do have an Author's Page.

BANNED

Finally, someone who likes the Hyde/Cobra story as much as I do. I'll take that over the Juggernaut two-parter and the schmaltzy tearjerker any day.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Seriously where the hell is Kraven's Last Hunt. Nice to see Kid Who Collects Spider-Man in there, though (and glad they didn't spoil the ending either).

If we were updating that I'd definitely include the 2004 Mark Millar Marvel Knights run, the No One Dies Issue, #13 of Ultimate Spider-Man (where Peter confesses his secret to MJ), and seriously Kraven's Last Hunt, which is #1 far as I'm concerned.

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC View Post
    Finally, someone who likes the Hyde/Cobra story as much as I do. I'll take that over the Juggernaut two-parter and the schmaltzy tearjerker any day.
    Of Stern/Romita stories, I'd put it below the Vulture two-parter and the 4-issue Brand Corporation/Tarantula/Will-O'-The-Wisp saga.

(The one that really doesn't deserve to be on here? Spider-Man vs. Wolverine. Overrated.)

There's a serious lack of DeMatteis stuff on here. Any list that doesn't include the Harry Goblin stuff and Kraven's Last Hunt has inexcusable blind spots as far as I'm concerned.