Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default FAQs: For Newcomers

If you're new to the Hellboy Universe, this is the place to ask your questions, whatever they may be. Remember, this being a thread for newcomers, no spoilers. If you must post a spoiler use the [SPOIL] tag.
    Last edited by middenway; 05-06-2014 at 09:00 PM.

As a new reader of Hellboy, is it possible for me to jump on to B.R.P.D. and Abe Sapien in August, or do I need to go back and read everything. I'm going to start tracking down the B.R.P.D. trades, but I won't catch up with the series anytime soon.
    Formerly Doctor Malekith.

Quote Originally Posted by SpOck View Post
    As a new reader of Hellboy, is it possible for me to jump on to B.R.P.D. and Abe Sapien in August, or do I need to go back and read everything. I'm going to start tracking down the B.R.P.D. trades, but I won't catch up with the series anytime soon.
    June's issue of Abe Sapien is designed to be a jumping on point, with an extra eight pages recapping prior issues. The June issue will be a one-shot, as will the July issue, but the August issue will be a special kind of one-shot... a one-shot flashback to an earlier period of Abe's life when he was still a B.P.R.D. agent. That issue will almost certainly stand alone, able to be read with virtually no background information. It seems now would be an excellent time to join the series.

As for the B.P.R.D., I'm not as sure. Some people have found it easy to get into the swing of things joining this late, others haven't. It depends on you, what you want from a comic, and how good you are at filling in the blanks. More than anything you'll really be missing the significant character beats that come from knowing these people for so long. That said, in August the series will be beginning a new two-issue arc, so there's every chance the story could be contained enough that you'll be able to follow it and really get into it. I really can't say without having read it yet, but I think there's a good chance it'll be new-reader friendly.

On the other hand, if you want to start collecting the older material, the B.P.R.D. omnibuses are about to get really damn cheap. In October the first volume will be coming out in paperback for $20, which is the same price for a regular trade paperback... and an omnibus contains the material from three. The second omnibus will be out in January followed by the third and fourth later in 2015 (I'm guessing April and July). That would cover the entire Plague of Frogs cycle. If you can't wait that long, all four omnibuses are currently available in hardcover for $35 each (which is still cheaper than buying 3 trades).

The second B.P.R.D. cycle, Hell on Earth, is still ongoing, and won't be collected in omnibuses until it's finished. There's currently eight trades out with a ninth coming out in September. Some people have jumped onto this cycle fine, but there is a lot of connective tissue between Plague of Frogs and Hell on Earth. I know in my case, I wouldn't want to miss that.

And if you want to try out another side of the B.P.R.D., the flashback trade 1946 is very new-reader friendly, as is its sequel, 1947. 1948 less so, the same with Vampire. I'd recommend reading at least 1947 before reading either of those two. They're a bit different from their modern counterparts, but these four trades will give you a taste of the universe.
    Last edited by middenway; 05-25-2014 at 01:41 AM.

Since I would personally not be feeling myself a new reader, I wouldn't feel to have a snappy or way brief answer.

But if you mean to be following the ongoing current BPRD, as well as current Abe Sapien, with remaining open onto gradually rereading or catching up with the other books, or at least some of them, then I would certainly hope such to being possible for you without too much trouble.

Some of the trades or even oneshots might seem more introductory than others at first glance, such as Hellboy: Seed of Destruction, BPRD: 1946, Abe Sapien: the Drowning or BPRD: Garden of Souls. But most any of the books would basically seem rather good to include in one's reading. Plus any trades or collections will mostly offer pretty complete or fullfilling tales, even if any of them interconnect to bigger pictures, involve happenings from prior arcs distinctly, or would most pivotally be all involving puzzlingness and mystery rather MUCH.

I hope any (new) readers may feel capable or comfortable at having fun in their reading. Since I would think the reading would be made for that.
    I don't think mystery or puzzlingness would be meant to be putting anybody off. I can feel greatly puzzled and mystified without considering such off-putting at all.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 05-25-2014 at 07:58 AM.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

I'll start collecting the trades and omnibuses. I still haven't decided if I want to jump on to the books now, but I'll probably decide soon. Thanks for the help, guys!

I'll start collecting the trades and omnibuses. I still haven't decided if I want to jump on to the books now, but I'll probably decide soon. Thanks for the help, guys!
    Feel free to ask any questions relating to this. Like which books could be to grant the most accessibility onto specifically what you'd want. Which could prove hard to answer nonetheless.

Or if you wouldn't find access where to buy those designated titles at all. Any such stuff on which people might be able to advise you, if only a little.

I'd think collecting the way you'd want would be the way to go, on your own time and hopefully to your own preferences.

Happy reading!
    Last edited by Kees_L; 05-25-2014 at 08:12 AM.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

I think I'm going to just collect the trades. It seems smarter, especially considering how cheap they are. I hope to frequent this board more once I get deeper into the Hellboy universe. Thanks for the help!

I found this recent post on Tumblr, How and Where to Buy Mignolaverse Comics. It should be quite helpful to new comers.

I've been wanting to jump into Hellboy, but I honestly have no idea where to begin... does anyone have any recommendations for what the best starting off points would be in terms of storylines?
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

I think a great place to start with Hellboy (and what I usually recommend) is The Chained Coffin TPB. It has a bunch of short stories that would give you a feel for the world and Mignola's art/writing style, etc. If you enjoy that jump back to Seed of Destruction TPB and then read in order from there.

Thanks for the recommendations! I went to my local comic shop the other day and was looking through the Hellboy shelf and I was at a total loss. I'll definitely check those out!
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

Quote Originally Posted by mscorley View Post
    I think a great place to start with Hellboy (and what I usually recommend) is The Chained Coffin TPB. It has a bunch of short stories that would give you a feel for the world and Mignola's art/writing style, etc. If you enjoy that jump back to Seed of Destruction TPB and then read in order from there.
    I have to agree. I started with The Chained Coffin and Others myself.

I've started collecting the Library editions,and plan on picking up BRPD plague of frogs next.I want to go in order.Is there something I
    should pick up first,or next?Thank you.

If you've got the first three Hellboy Library Editions, dive straight into B.P.R.D. Plague of Frogs hardcover omnibuses. The next hardcover will be B.P.R.D. 1946-1947-1948 coming out June next year.

The fourth Plague of Frogs volume has some connections to Lobster Johnson: The Iron Prometheus and Witchfinder: In the Service of Angels. It's not necessary to read them, but they do fill in some backstory. Both are only available in trade paperbacks at the moment.
    Last edited by middenway; 10-12-2014 at 07:18 PM.

This is a great help.thank you.