Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

For BPRD Omnis there’s actually

4 BPRD: Plague of Frogs
    1 BPRD: 1946-1948
    5 BPRD: Hell on Earth. (Not sure if the last one is out yet or just soon

there’s a number of side series too depending on what other characters you’re interested in. Lobster Johnson and Witchfinder being a couple of the biggest.

This may help as well
    http://www.multiversitycomics.com/an...ng-order-2018/

Would I be able to jump into "Abe Sapien: The Drowning & Other Stories" without reading any of the B.P.R.D. series?

I have been previewing the B.P.R.D series, and I know this is probably an unpopular opinion, but the art is a real turn off.

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    Would I be able to jump into "Abe Sapien: The Drowning & Other Stories" without reading any of the B.P.R.D. series?

I have been previewing the B.P.R.D series, and I know this is probably an unpopular opinion, but the art is a real turn off.
    You should be able to read everything in the Drowning Omni except the final story without any issue.

Also not sure what part of BPRD you were previewing, but the first few stories before Guy Davis gets involved have a number of different artists, some better than others. One Guy Davis hits, it’s pretty much non stop perfection from there on out

Quote Originally Posted by Skinkie View Post
    You should be able to read everything in the Drowning Omni except the final story without any issue.

Also not sure what part of BPRD you were previewing, but the first few stories before Guy Davis gets involved have a number of different artists, some better than others. One Guy Davis hits, it’s pretty much non stop perfection from there on out
    Thank you! It was Davis' art. I'm conflicted because I actually really like the style, coloring, & overall uniqueness. Strange as it sounds, his depiction of human faces is whats bothering me.

Honestly, if they were still all available in hardcover, I would have most likely picked them up, and after a few issues, Davis would probably win me over.

Davis was never my favorite, but the book is good enough to overlook the faces.

The Claw of Justice!

Davis's art might grow on you. I've heard from other readers how they didn't like his art initially but grew to love it over time. I think he mentions hearing that a lot from fans in the Modern Masters interview book with him.

For what it's worth, I love his work, he's one of my favorite artists of all time.
    @lobster20000 on Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Davis was never my favorite, but the book is good enough to overlook the faces.
    Quote Originally Posted by LobsterJohnson View Post
    Davis's art might grow on you. I've heard from other readers how they didn't like his art initially but grew to love it over time. I think he mentions hearing that a lot from fans in the Modern Masters interview book with him.

For what it's worth, I love his work, he's one of my favorite artists of all time.
    So now I feel silly. I ended up purchasing the first issue of plague of frogs digitally and quickly got over my initial hesitation of Davis' art. Very tempted to pick up the paperback omni's.

So now I feel silly. I ended up purchasing the first issue of plague of frogs digitally and quickly got over my initial hesitation of Davis' art. Very tempted to pick up the paperback omni's.
    I’d highly recommend it. Both the Plague of Frogs and Hell on Eartg Omni’s are fantastic

I’d highly recommend it. Both the Plague of Frogs and Hell on Eartg Omni’s are fantastic
    Based on past releases (still very new to the Hellboy world), would paperback omni's be released for Hell on Earth? I know the hardcovers are still in print, but having the first series in paperback and the second in hardcover would drive me bonkers. I would love both in hardcover, but that ship has sailed haha.

Based on past releases (still very new to the Hellboy world), would paperback omni's be released for Hell on Earth? I know the hardcovers are still in print, but having the first series in paperback and the second in hardcover would drive me bonkers. I would love both in hardcover, but that ship has sailed haha.
    I believe each series has a one hard cover print run followed by softcover from there on out. Hell on Earth is still completing the hardcovers, but I’d say it’s safe to assume paperback will follow once it’s complete

I believe each series has a one hard cover print run followed by softcover from there on out. Hell on Earth is still completing the hardcovers, but I’d say it’s safe to assume paperback will follow once it’s complete
    Thank you for all the help!

Quote Originally Posted by ckmoak View Post
    I hope that your readthrough of the second omnibus will be a more positive one. I have often tried to explain to new readers that there's a pretty big jump in both artwork and storytelling between Seed of Destruction and Wake the Devil, and it only gets better from there. But you might find yourself more satisfied with the short story omnibi to start with. Some of Mignola's best work is in the self-contained short stories, especially until he builds up to the Conqueror Worm/Strange Places double punch.

I was on the same boat as jb681131.....I bought the first library edition (Seeds of Destruction/Wake the Devil, coincidentally, around the same time back around 2018), and wasn't impressed with it. I remembered thinking, "Wtf? THIS is what has drawn a huge following and has been in print for around 20 years?" I did think "Wake the Devil" was better than "Seeds of Destruction", but not significantly enough to delve further into the Hellboy universe.

The only other Hellboy comics I bought were the two one-shot issues with Adam Hughes doing the artwork. I liked those two quite a bit, but assumed it may have been due to Hughes.

But, I recently bought BPRD 1946-1948, because I was curious to see Joshua Dysart's take on the Hellboy mythos, and I've been enjoying it quite a bit. I'm halfway through, and am convinced enough to buy a few more Hellboy collections. I already purchased volumes 3, 5, and 6 of the Hellboy library editions. I'm planning to also get BPRD 1954-1956.

After those, if I continue being into this Hellboy stuff, I'll likely get volumes 2 & 4 of the library editions, along with Plague of Frogs, Hell on Earth, The Devil You Know, and Koschei the Deathless.....I'll also re-buy volume 1 of the library edition, for collection purposes (I gave my previous copy away, 3 years ago, after I didn't like it). And I'm planning to get the upcoming Lobster Johnson omnibus.

Quote Originally Posted by ckmoak View Post
    4. Finally--it may just be that Hellboy isn't for you. For a lot of people, it's not their thing. It's too artsy, or takes too much work to understand the broader plot, or any other reason someone might not like a comic. Personally, I love it to pieces. But even if you aren't thrilled with Hellboy, there's a whole universe of comics in that series that you'll have read us talking about in this forum. BPRD, Abe Sapien, Witchfinder, Lobster Johnson, Sledgehammer 44, The Visitor, Rise of the Black Flame, Frankenstein Underground, Rasputin, Koschei the Deathless...there's a LOT to read, and while some of the series (Abe) don't stand very well on their own, there's plenty of comics here that are simply fun, regardless of your investment in the broader franchise. Maybe give some of those a shot.

Anyway, I hope that you come around to Hellboy as you read further. Thanks for providing a critique and reserving final judgment until you've taken in a few more stories; I'll be interested to hear your take on things once you get through them.

Out of those titles in bold, would you recommend any one or two titles above the others? Do any particularly stand out, or are they mostly different from one another so that it's pretty much subjective?

On a side note, I'm curious what jb681131's reaction was to volume 2. He didn't appear to ever come back to this thread.....Hopefully it wasn't THAT bad.

Of those highlighted ones all are pretty good, just very different. Lobster Johnson is a very pulpy 1930s feel. Where Witchfinder is a Victorian occult detective. But I really really like both

I’d say Sledgehammer and Frankenstein are the ones that most tie into the main story. And each is just one trade so they are easy to pick up. They are also quite good.

Basically if you’ve run into characters you like, follow their series. Each one adds the the mythology in their own way. But for the most part stand on their own

I am making my way through The Hellboy Omnibi right now currently in the Wake The Devil tale. I've only ever read some short stories and bits and pieces but I've loved the character ever since I saw the first film. SO. MUCH. FUN!

Wondering what corner of the universe would you recommend after Hellboy? BPRD? Abe?
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

B.P.R.D. is a pretty natural series to start any time after Hellboy: Conqueror Worm. If you want some pulpy fun, you could also launch into Lobster Johnson from there too—the Lobster is a fan favourite for a reason.