Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Hi! I have a question for you! With the announcement of the Hellboy Omnibus, I decided to finally dive in completely in the Mignolaverse. Since I'm a completist (and now broke!), I decided that... I wanted everything! What I love, when I'm new to a comic book universe, is to read it chronologically, and not based on the date releases. For Marvel, I'm used to switch books during events, but with Hellboy/B.R.P.D., I would prefer to completely read a book before switching to the next.

Can you please validate if that list is correct? (FYI: I also included the books Not Yet Released)

1837-1841 - Rasputin: The Voice of the Dragon
    1646-1879 - Witchfinder Volume 1: In the Service of Angels
    1880 - Witchfinder Volume 2: Lost and Gone Forever
    1880-1881 - Witchfinder Volume 3: The Mysteries of Unland
    1882 - Witchfinder Volume 4: City of the Dead
    1929 - Rise of the Black Flame
    1932 - Lobster Johnson Volume 2: The Burning Hand
    1932-1933 - Lobster Johnson Volume 3: Satan Smells a Rat
    1934 - Lobster Johnson Volume 4: Get the Lobster!
    1935? - Lobster Johnson Volume 5: The Pirate’s Ghost and Metal Monsters of Midtown
    1936? - Lobster Johnson Volume 6: A Chain Forged in Life
    1937 - Lobster Johnson Volume 1: The Iron Prometheus
    1944 - Sledgehammer 44
    1946-1948 - B.P.R.D.: 1946-1948 Omnibus (HC)
    1948 - B.P.R.D.: Vampire
    1952 - Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: 1952
    1953 - Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: 1953
    1954 - Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: 1954
    1955 - Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: 1955
    1954-1961 - Hellboy: The Complete Short Stories Omnibus 1
    1956 - Frankenstein Underground
    1961-1993 - Hellboy: The Complete Short Stories Omnibus 2
    1981-1985 - Abe Sapien: The Drowning and Other Stories Omnibus (HC)
    1994-1997 - Hellboy Omnibus 1: Seed of Destruction
    1998-2006 - Hellboy Omnibus 2: Strange Places
    1944-2001 - The Visitor: How and Why He Stayed
    1976-2002 - B.P.R.D.: Being Human
    2002-2004 - B.P.R.D.: Plague of Frogs Omnibus 1
    2004-2006 - B.P.R.D.: Plague of Frogs Omnibus 2
    2006-? - Hellboy Omnibus 3: The Wild Hunt
    2006 - Koshchei the Deathless
    2006 - B.P.R.D.: Plague of Frogs Omnibus 3
    2006-2007 - B.P.R.D.: Plague of Frogs Omnibus 4
    2009-2010 - B.P.R.D.: Hell on Earth Omnibus 1 (HC)
    2010 - B.P.R.D.: Hell on Earth Omnibus 2 (HC)
    2011-2012 - Hellboy Omnibus 4: Hellboy in Hell
    2011 - B.P.R.D.: Hell on Earth Omnibus 3 (HC)
    2011 - Abe Sapien: Dark and Terrible Omnibus 1 (HC)
    2011-2012 - B.P.R.D.: Hell on Earth Omnibus 4 (HC)
    2011-2012 - Abe Sapien: Dark and Terrible Omnibus 2 (HC)
    2012-2013 - B.P.R.D.: Hell on Earth Omnibus 5 (HC)
    ???? - BPRB: The Devil You Know Volume 1

Thank you so much in advance!

Corrections:
    • 1834-2013 - Abe Sapien: The Drowning and Other Stories Omnibus (HC) (Icthyo Sapien has a 2013 framing sequence, but is primarily set in 1834.)
    • 1937-1941 - Rasputin: The Voice of the Dragon (1937 is only the prologue. There are flashbacks from the mid 1920s onwards throughout.)
    • 1923 - Rise of the Black Flame
    • 1935 - Lobster Johnson Volume 6: A Chain Forged in Life
    • 1936 - Lobster Johnson Volume 5: The Pirate’s Ghost and Metal Monsters of Midtown
    • 1947-1961 - Hellboy: The Complete Short Stories Omnibus 1
    • 2006-2011 - Hellboy Omnibus 3: The Wild Hunt
    • UNKNOWN (2011-2018 range) - Koshchei the Deathless (Set in Hell where time is a bit... weird.)

Years are pretty difficult to figure out from 2006 onwards and there are contradictory elements in the text. You could easily dispute many of these dates.
    2006-2008 - B.P.R.D.: Plague of Frogs Omnibus 3
    2008-2009 - B.P.R.D.: Plague of Frogs Omnibus 4
    2010-2011 - B.P.R.D.: Hell on Earth Omnibus 1 (HC)
    2011-2012 - B.P.R.D.: Hell on Earth Omnibus 2 (HC)
    2011-2017 Hellboy Omnibus 4: Hellboy in Hell
    2012 - B.P.R.D.: Hell on Earth Omnibus 3 (HC)
    2012 - Abe Sapien: Dark and Terrible Omnibus 1 (HC)
    2013-2015 - B.P.R.D.: Hell on Earth Omnibus 4 (HC)
    2013-2017 - Abe Sapien: Dark and Terrible Omnibus 2 (HC)
    2016-2017 - B.P.R.D.: Hell on Earth Omnibus 5 (HC)
    2018? - B.P.R.D.: The Devil You Know Volume 1—Messiah
    Last edited by middenway; 01-19-2018 at 08:13 PM.

This hasn't been updated this year, and given the amount of new books this year, it needs to be, but I'd suggest this reading order.

I say that having read your explanation for how you like to read books, but I don't think it works well here. I mean, you could read 23 trades worth of material before you read the story that started it all, but you're not going to get much out of them that way. Starting with Rasputin isn't going to mean much if you don't know the characters in the book and their history. That's a book that only works because it's being told way later.

So, in short, I'd suggest starting with the HELLBOY books as far as the reading order posted suggests. From there you can kind of decide where to go next on your own, based on your interests, but a chronological reading order is best left for a second or third read through.

I hope that helps. I just want you to enjoy the rich universe as best you can.

(And, go with anything Mark (Middenway) says.)
    Last edited by Joker; 01-19-2018 at 08:14 PM.

I have to agree with Joker. Unless you are particularly set on a chronological order, it's not a good way to read the story for the first time. I liken it to reading The Silmarillion before reading The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, where the necessary context would be missing; or watching the Star Wars prequels before watching The Empire Strikes Back, where certain reveals are spoiled.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    This hasn't been updated this year, and given the amount of new books this year, it needs to be, but I'd suggest this reading order.
    I've already finished the 2018 reading order, but I've got to wait until I'm allowed to release it. I expect it'll be April.

I guess they have more updates for you before you publish it?

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I guess they have more updates for you before you publish it?
    Any covers that appear on the reading order have to be properly revealed first.

Thank you so much for your inputs and corrections. Well, I think I’ll follow your recommendation and read it out of chronological order. I’ll go with the order suggested here! It makes sense and I don’t want to be either lost or spoiled in advance! Thanks!
    Last edited by Morsoth; 01-20-2018 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    Any covers that appear on the reading order have to be properly revealed first.
    I don't see the Hellboy/Batman/Starman crossover in your list, where would you fit it ?
    Also how would you organize the reading order of the upcoming Hellboy omnibuses ? Because I've never read any Hellboy and plan on starting with these.

Quote Originally Posted by Morsoth View Post
    Thank you so much for your inputs and corrections. Well, I think I’ll follow your recommendation and read it out of chronological order. I’ll go with the order suggested here! It makes sense and I don’t want to be either lost or spoiled in advance! Thanks!
    You'll have fun reading it all I'm sure.

The thing is that older dates or happenings don't necessarily offer 'more' chronology just like that. It doesn't work that way.

To me it seems not a random thing that the story to Hellboy or to the B.P.R.D. basically starts bang in the middle of it all, but it was written like that because mr Mike already knew there would be a lot more to the story:
    there would be history to things such as to the world's and with it to Ogdru Jahad's beginnings. And with that also to Hellboy's beginnings, neededly. Or how either Rasputin or Abe their origins would have to pertain to decades earlier than 1994 - in Rasputin's case because his name reflects the name of a historical figure who lived and died and then mysteriously resurrected again in the 19th century, in Abe's case because Abe was found as being a 19th century lab experiment somehow abandoned and forgot about by the world.
    Furthermore - even during the writing or creation process - there would continuously come to be hindsights and tipping points developing, or fresh story motifs occurring, as the story matter would grow and amass.

As such might dates on their own have a straightup chronology to them. But stories or histories have a chronology far more intricately than just anything numerical. The characters may have their individual ways of seeing relevance to stuff, to which each reader might have alterior ways still!

But you'll know that as soon as you're actually reading the stories, so again: have fun .
    Last edited by Kees_L; 01-20-2018 at 06:43 PM.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    I don't see the Hellboy/Batman/Starman crossover in your list, where would you fit it ?
    Also how would you organize the reading order of the upcoming Hellboy omnibuses ? Because I've never read any Hellboy and plan on starting with these.
    The crossovers are not in continuity. They're great stories, but they appear pretty much written so they don't engage with continuity. To my knowledge dates or such aren't mentioned in them. Also because quite usually Hellboy sort of travels into other titles more rather than other characters travelling into his world, or it's that characters find neutral ground, metaphorically if not literally. Crossovers aren't lesser stories at all, but a writer can orchestrate or direct a story into being swell, yet as with not touching upon continuity at all at the same time.

I believe the new Hellboy Omnibuses offer a straightup reprint of the whole Hellboy title continuity (meaning evt. called "Hellboy" except what isn't canon) in a fully revised order altogether. You can find the full content list and its order in a post near the end of the 'Hellboy Universe Publishing Order' thread, being the one stickied directly below this one. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 01-20-2018 at 06:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kees_L View Post
    You'll have fun reading it all I'm sure.

[...]

But you'll know that as soon as you're actually reading the stories, so again: have fun .
    I know I will! I'm still awaiting some orders I made online, and I think I'll now wait the first Hellboy Omnibus (May 22, 2018) before starting reading them. At least, I'm buying what is available so I'll have it on hand during my reading experience. This week, I've got the Witchfinder TPB, the B.P.R.D. omnibus available (still waiting Being Human, Vampire, and the Volume 2 of Plague of Frog... This one seem to be the harder to get, even in softcover. The only place I could find it at a good price was at Amazon.co.uk), the Abe Sapien first Omnibus and the stand alone series (Frankenstein Underground, Rise of the Black Flame, Sledgehammer 44, The Visitor: How and Why He Stayed) and the Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: 1952 + 1953 TPB. I've decided to wait before buying Lobster Johnson, I'm sure this series will be released in Omnibus format someday.

It's a long wait before May 22, but I'm also lucky enough to have the beautiful comic book adaptation of Bram Stocker's Dracula drawn by Mike Mignola. I know it's not at all set in the same universe of Hellboy, but I think I'll start with this for the mood!
    Last edited by Morsoth; 01-21-2018 at 10:13 AM.

, but I'm also lucky enough to have the beautiful comic book adaptation of Bram Stocker's Dracula drawn by Mike Mignola. I know it's not at all set in the same universe of Hellboy, but I think I'll start with this for the mood!
    That's a very awesome adaptation. I'm a fan of Coppola but I'm prone to liking the comic even better than the movie.

I have it in single issues as well as in TPB with gorgeous wraparound cover, but the latter now is apparently commanding ridiculous prices on vending sites.

It also seems likely (and pretty sad if so) its property holders aren't about to reprint it somehow. Such staggering quality that comic has. Almost as good as Hellboy, but not quite .

Quote Originally Posted by Kees_L View Post
    That's a very awesome adaptation. I'm a fan of Coppola but I'm prone to liking the comic even better than the movie.
    I also have that TPB, I bought it in 2006 as a fan of the movie and also because I love Mike Mignola's style! It's to wonder why I never collected Hellboy before now...

So, I'm following the 2017 version of the Mignolaversity Reading Order, and I'm trying to fit it with the current or upcoming releases (Omnibus). Maybe I should wait for Mark Tweedale's version, but I'm just over excited to finally dive into that world, so I did my own list for now.

Do you consider Hellboy: Weird Tales a good addition to the story? I'm still not sure if I should get this one... I would have preferred if the two canon stories had been included in the upcoming Omnibuses...

I also bought (from eBay) these two Winter Specials:

• Hellboy Winter Special (January 2016)
    • Hellboy Winter Special (January 2017)

Now, should I consider getting: Hellboy: Krampusnacht (December 2017) as well? -- I've read that it going to be included in the next "Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: 1955" TPB, but I'm not sure if it has been confirmed.

Thanks again all for your help!

Do you consider Hellboy: Weird Tales a good addition to the story? I'm still not sure if I should get this one... I would have preferred if the two canon stories had been included in the upcoming Omnibuses...

I also bought (from eBay) these two Winter Specials:

• Hellboy Winter Special (January 2016)
    • Hellboy Winter Special (January 2017)

Now, should I consider getting: Hellboy: Krampusnacht (December 2017) as well? -- I've read that it going to be included in the next "Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: 1955" TPB, but I'm not sure if it has been confirmed.

Thanks again all for your help!
    I regard the Weird Tales as an early but quality B.P.R.D. tales anthology from a time when the separate B.P.R.D. title didn't exist yet. Some of my favorite character moments in Weird Tales hold up to the earliest B.P.R.D. tpb's pretty astutely.
    Although "continuity-wise" the Weird Tales collection is separate, same as the Hellboy crossovers of which a number are great comics too.

Hell, I even think Hellboy Junior is great although that's pretty much a pastiche of sorts - a splendid one 'though. But for completeness sake I would for Hellboy urge anyone to get The Lost Army and The Bones of Giants illustrated novels because they're great, Mignola-made and canon even officially. They're not comics but still.

Krampusnacht seems a genuine treat of a standalone, like a Winter Special in itself. I think it won't disappoint.

So... A few years ago I read 'Seed of Destruction' and I liked it, but I never ended up checking out anything else. Then at Christmas I bought the 'Krampusnacht' issue on a whim, and absolutely loved it, reinforcing the idea that I need to read more Hellboy stuff. A few days ago my LCS got some back issues in and I raided it, picking up everything from 'In The Chapel Of Moloch' to 'The Fury' #3 (minus 'Hellboy In Mexico') and 'Hellboy In Hell' #1-5 (have since managed to find and order #7-10, just need #6 now) and devoured them in 24 hours (which is leading me to reassess my current pull list as I loved what I read of Hellboy so much). I also bought the most recent 'Hellboy & the B.P.R.D. 1955' one-shot, which was great. I'm honestly kicking myself for not diving properly into this world sooner and now want to read everything I can get my hands on. Sorry, I rambled a little bit... I'm just so in awe of Mignola and his world!

But basically... I was wondering if I can just jump into the stuff that's being published currently without catching up on everything that's come before (not that I'm not planning to, because I'm eyeing up the new Hellboy omnibuses out later this year for example), or would I be completely lost?

•Can I just pick-up with Hellboy & the B.P.R.D. from where it is now (assuming there'll be a 1956 announced) or do I need to have read the rest of the series?
    •Are the two current minis, 'Rasputin: Voice of the Dragon' and 'Koshchei the Deathless', accessible to someone who has only read what I've read?
    •Can I jump in to B.P.R.D. with 'The Devil You Know' #1 or would that be foolish?
    •Are there any stand-out stories that aren't part of the main series that are too good not to read as soon as possible?

Thank you! I'm kicking myself for not doing this sooner... Especially as when I was properly getting into comics I watched 'The Fury' and 'Hellboy In Hell' get released and very nearly bought them, which would have started this journey much sooner...
    Current Favourites: Ascender, Daredevil, Department Of Truth, Haha, Immortal Hulk, Luna and Strange Academy

Recent Favourites: Coffin Bound, Faithless, Gideon Falls and She Could Fly

They/Them