Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

EDIT: Looks like my question was already answered above. Sorry about that! Mods, please delete if possible.

Hey all.

I am finally about to take the plunge into the Hellboy universe. I've got Hellboy trades 1-6 and BPRD Plague of Frogs 1-4 coming. I've already read Hellboy 1-2 since I borrowed my friend's Library Edition.

Question is: Should I read all of the Hellboy trades up to 6 before jumping over to BPRD for Plague of Frogs? Or do I need to continue onto Hellboy 7+ before Plague of Frogs?
    Epic things: "TOPANGA" (GHA), Jaxson & Zefferson (PRO), Lucas (SHEL)

Hellboy trade 5 really kicks off the story lines that will be in BPRD, but the first 6 are kinda all very connected which is why you often see 6 as the break off point

Fantastic Member

Hi. I've read Hellboy LE 1 and the 1st omnibus of BPRD some time ago and I plan to get Hellboy and BPRD and the 2nd BPRD omnibus. I want to ask if Baltimore is related to the Hellboy universe.

No, Baltimore is it's own separate universe.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    No, Baltimore is it's own separate universe.
    Ok thanks!

Amazing Member

Are the Hellboy Library Edition Vol. 1 and Lobster Johnson Vol. 2 out of print or is amazon just out of them atm? Anyone know how long amazon usually takes to get new ones?

No idea. The library editions are always reprinted though. The trades only go out of print after they've been corrected in an omnibus edition. You'll probably find that Amazon just ran out of stock over Christmas.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    No idea. The library editions are always reprinted though. The trades only go out of print after they've been corrected in an omnibus edition. You'll probably find that Amazon just ran out of stock over Christmas.
    Alright! That makes sense. In that case, I'm sure they are gonna have a big restock happen in the next few days/weeks.

Amazing Member

I was just looking ahead and saw that there are quite a few stories not collected, such as The Coffin Man, Aztec Mummy, Abe Sapien #8 and 15, Exorcism etc. From what I can gather, there will be a "Mexico" trade as I think there is enough material if you include House of the Living Dead, but what about these other issues/Hellboy one shots/2 issue "missing" pieces? Any talk about these issues?

They'll obviously end up in a Library Edition at some point.

I wish they'd put the Mexico stuff in a Library Edition with the Bride of Hell half of vol.6, and put Hellboy in Hell after The Storm and the Fury.

BANNED

Well I borrowed Hellboy in Hell: The Decent from my library. I'm chapter four, death riding an elephant. It's very good so far, I'm enjoying it. As far the character himself, I'm a bit disappointed because I don't really find him that interesting. I figured he would be more like the Hellboy I know from the movies. But this is my first time actually reading a Hellboy comic, so I'll see where it goes.

I purchased the entire Hellboy run from the beginning through "The Fury," or all pre-Hellboy in Hell stuff, digitally during Dark Horse's cyber Monday everything sale. I'd been intrigued by the character and obviously have taken note of his following. I read it all throughout the course of a week. I found many of the stories to be entertaining, liked a lot of the artwork, and occasionally found Hellboy himself to be interesting. However, all in all, I was just not wowed or blown away by any of it. I was not left with a burning desire to read further. What's wrong with me? Did I do it wrong? Maybe it's just the genre that doesn't hook me...

Quote Originally Posted by SediarSago View Post
    I was just looking ahead and saw that there are quite a few stories not collected, such as The Coffin Man, Aztec Mummy, Abe Sapien #8 and 15, Exorcism etc. From what I can gather, there will be a "Mexico" trade as I think there is enough material if you include House of the Living Dead, but what about these other issues/Hellboy one shots/2 issue "missing" pieces? Any talk about these issues?
    "Talk"? As a pretty long-time and complete follower and reader of everything Hellboy I'm feeling pretty certain there isn't any Hellboy- or BPRD-related story material going "missing" or as remaining uncollected or remaining out-of-print at all.

Everything becomes collected in the best way possible once it can or needs to be, which means that for some bits it may take a while to get collected moreso than not, because of the material being so rich and diverse of itself to begin with.

For example two tiny backup-features created for filling up the pagecount to two of the 8-part installments of the 'Hellboy: The Wild Hunt' mini-series, were collected into the Hardcover edition of 'Hellboy: Weird Tales', after remaining *uncollected* for some 5 years. Whereas everything else would be finding its own way of becoming collected perfectly.

If you consider how Hellboy and the BPRD have only always consisted of but multi-layered and wildly diverse arcs from multiple vantage points, 5 years isn't a long time at all for stuff to get collected or reprinted, also as depending whether any original editions could still be getting bought and sold.

There are some stories appearing as specifically created for fitting the Dark Horse Presents anthology magazine (both as the formerly digital-only Myspace Dark Horse Presents TPBs).

The Mexico stories seem particularly well-suited to ending up in there: because the Mexico-related stories take place in a period being definably an out-of-continuity time in Hellboy's life!

The slim hardcover graphic novels such as "Hellboy: House of the Living Dead" as well as "Hellboy: the Midnight Circus" seem a format as to particularly target or cater to bookshelf venues in today's markets. Those seem to be their own particular format for a reason.
    Both these books seem tailored for celebrating either the swell Corben artwork or the Duncan Fegredo artwork, in a complete book of its own. And I do believe as books these'd be as complete as could be.

Whereas side-by-side all these various books and titles and projects to perform or deliver make up the roster for people to follow, in a balanced-out, unbulky, coherent and affordible way, as however any those readers or customers would or might feel to prefer, be it now both as whenever?
    Last edited by Kees_L; 01-03-2015 at 01:29 PM.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
    Well I borrowed Hellboy in Hell: The Decent from my library. I'm chapter four, death riding an elephant. It's very good so far, I'm enjoying it. As far the character himself, I'm a bit disappointed because I don't really find him that interesting. I figured he would be more like the Hellboy I know from the movies. But this is my first time actually reading a Hellboy comic, so I'll see where it goes.
    You have a library near you that carries comics and even as new as that?! That is AMAZING.

There will be a number of Hellboy stories potentially more like the movies such as 'Hellboy: Seed of Destruction', 'Hellboy: the Chained Coffin and Other stories' or 'Hellboy: the Conqueror Worm'.
    But seeing how all those stories form a part to the story matter quite as profoundly or as specifically as how they do already, where Hellboy In Hell will be to form more current or at least progressively developing installments onto it all, it won't be weird how either all or any of it will read as being its own thing as much as it would be?

I've seen and pretty much enjoyed the movies too, but. Seeing how the creator of Hellboy most primarily happens to be a maker of comics, which I can like, I'll prefer those moreso than whatever movies or tv thingies I'm sure. It's not that I don't like movies but as a comics fan both as a book fan, such comics or books can seem pretty damn fine on their own already, I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post
    I purchased the entire Hellboy run from the beginning through "The Fury," or all pre-Hellboy in Hell stuff, digitally during Dark Horse's cyber Monday everything sale. I'd been intrigued by the character and obviously have taken note of his following. I read it all throughout the course of a week. I found many of the stories to be entertaining, liked a lot of the artwork, and occasionally found Hellboy himself to be interesting. However, all in all, I was just not wowed or blown away by any of it. I was not left with a burning desire to read further. What's wrong with me? Did I do it wrong? Maybe it's just the genre that doesn't hook me...
    You appear to be answering your own question. The only one able to figure out how any stuff could or *should* be for you - regarding or regardless of "following"s - would be you. So good luck with that.