Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    All-New Member

Hey just wondering is there a major difference between the HC and paperback versions of the BPRD Plague of Frogs Omnibuses? I'm thinking of getting them but am not too sure if there are any pros to getting the HC as they seem to be OOP and thus more expensive. Would appreciate any help or advice regarding this thanks!

Exactly the same content, just different formats.

All-New Member

Hi,

I have recently gone mad for Hellboy and I have a question around the B.P.R.D. TPBs. I bought the first two B.P.R.D. TBPs and now have realized there is the Plague of Frogs Omnibus editions. Other then cost, is there any other reasons why I may want to buy the four omnibus versions instead of all the single TPBs? It looks like from listings that I find, it's pretty much the same, except the order has changed slightly.

Thank you!

Rearranged chronolically, expanded sketchbook sections, and a much nicer total price that the individual collections

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skinkie View Post
    Rearranged chronolically, expanded sketchbook sections, and a much nicer total price that the individual collections
    Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated.

All-New Member

I'm looking around and seeing that the HC omnibus editions are out of stock almost everywhere. Do we know if Dark Horse has any plans for reprinting the HC editions?

BANNED

I'm looking to get into Abe Sapien & Lobster Johnson. The Mignolaverse seems like the go-to books for horror and that's a genre that is lacking on my pull list and in the comics media in general. Would you recommend these two for a horror lover like me?

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
    I'm looking to get into Abe Sapien & Lobster Johnson. The Mignolaverse seems like the go-to books for horror and that's a genre that is lacking on my pull list and in the comics media in general. Would you recommend these two for a horror lover like me?
    As a guy who read only a few Abe Sapien issues, I think that may pair up better with B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth. Both are set in a world where Earth has been really messed up by a lot of natural and supernatural/unnatural disasters.
    Lobster Johnson, on the other hand, generally takes place in the 1930s and isn't necessarily as heavy on the horror aspects, though they are there.

LoJo is definitely not a horror book. It's in the pulp tradition, which contains some elements that fall into the occult or supernatural genres, but it's not a horror book.

It's a terrific comic, but I think you'll like it better if you know what you're getting into.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
    I think I would recommend Mignolaverse books to basically anyone, but I would also recommend those people to look into those books for getting a feel of them.

I think that people are supposed to check stuff out should they feel like it and that genres or any "go-to-typifications" are never leading per sé, since "horror" or even "comics" can basically mean 1000s of different things.

Some titles or book formats may form particularly good "jumping on points" better than others.

But among the scope of titles such as Hellboy vs BPRD vs Lobster Johnson / Witchfinder / Abe Sapien / etc as per complete story or collected editions, I think those are made in such a way that anyone could pick and choose how they'd like more or less, since thoughtful asterisk)* bits or even sporadic one-page recaps when opportune are not uncommon.

Good luck and Happy Reading!
    Last edited by Kees_L; 11-29-2015 at 11:30 AM.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

Amazing Member

Hey! I got the first three BPRD HC omnibus collections for Christmas last year and I'm currently looking for the 4th and final hardcover one but can't find it for under something like $65 dollars. Does anyone know where I can find a cheaper one, at least for a similar price as the Hellboy library editions? I can get the paperback one but it would feel *really* out of place and wrong.

Did you look at http://www.instocktrades.com/?
    I've never used them, but maybe they might still have it available?

Amazing Member

I did look there. Doesn't look like they have it in HC there.

Quote Originally Posted by SediarSago View Post
    I did look there. Doesn't look like they have it in HC there.
    Any idea if it's still in print these days, or if not, how long ago they stopped issuing the hardcover version?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Any idea if it's still in print these days, or if not, how long ago they stopped issuing the hardcover version?
    I'm not sure how long ago they stopped being out of print, but Volumes 3 and 4 are getting very hard to find in hardcover now. The best I've found is here for volume 4.