Amazing Member Prince Disarming's Avatar

Default What runs match best with the movies?

If someone had just seen one of the movies making up Marvel's cinematic universe and this caused them to want to try reading the comics which run could you point to as the one closest to the movie? Obviously they all have decades of continuity to pull from but I would assume the tone would match one run better than another in most cases. Answer for as many or as few as you wish.

The first arc of Avengers Assemble, and a Captain America :Homecoming one shot about Winter Soldier.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

For Cap I'd go with Brubaker's run and for Iron Man I'd point to either the Ultimates or Extremis.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Every comic since Marvel started to jump through hoops for "synergy."
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Most of the comics Marvel has published since the inception of the live-action films match the films in tone. Especially in the script/dialogue. An insane overuse of deadpan humor and sarcasm that has made many of Marvel's characters one-note.

Member Since Jun 2009 thecrimson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    Most of the comics Marvel has published since the inception of the live-action films match the films in tone. Especially in the script/dialogue. An insane overuse of deadpan humor and sarcasm that has made many of Marvel's characters one-note.
    I don't see that being the case (imo).

Amazing Member

Brubaker's Winter Soldier run was not at all like the movie. I think you'll be hard pressed to find any of the movies similar to any of their comic counterparts. Too much changes from one medium to the other.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Winter Soldier was similar enough, considering how different the universes are. I mean hell, Bru's run opened with a House of M reference. But it's very accessible and doesn't stray far from what you'd know from the movies. If it was your first Cap story ever, it would be a fine choice.

- The Iron Man franchise seemed inspired by the Ellis/Knauf volume... but then Fraction's run tried really hard to be like the movies.

- Avengers felt very much to me like Joe Casey's "Origin", "Earth's Mightiest Heroes", and "Enter the Mandarin." Of coure the actual plots couldn't be more different.

- Thor doesn't have a single run as an influence, but I would strongly suggest The Mighty Avenger. First Thunder is an alternative.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Winter Soldier was similar enough, considering how different the universes are. I mean hell, Bru's run opened with a House of M reference. But it's very accessible and doesn't stray far from what you'd know from the movies. If it was your first Cap story ever, it would be a fine choice.

- The Iron Man franchise seemed inspired by the Ellis/Knauf volume... but then Fraction's run tried really hard to be like the movies.

- Avengers felt very much to me like Joe Casey's "Origin", "Earth's Mightiest Heroes", and "Enter the Mandarin." Of coure the actual plots couldn't be more different.

- Thor doesn't have a single run as an influence, but I would strongly suggest The Mighty Avenger. First Thunder is an alternative.
    What about the Walter Simonson run?

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I love 99.99% of everything Simonson touches... but despite the fact that his Thor doesn't feel too dated when you read it, I'm hesitant when it comes to recommending people to start with '80s comics. Older comics are always an acquired taste.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I love 99.99% of everything Simonson touches... but despite the fact that his Thor doesn't feel too dated when you read it, I'm hesitant when it comes to recommending people to start with '80s comics. Older comics are always an acquired taste.
    But much of Dark World is inspired from Simonson, well most of it any way. i think it deserves some recommendation. But if we must compromise I suppose the Thor arc with Malakieth will suffice then have them follow up with the Simonson run.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Every comic since Marvel started to jump through hoops for "synergy."
    Did you take Brevoort up on his offer on female Thor?

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    Did you take Brevoort up on his offer on female Thor?
    Huh?
    10char
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!