SuperAussieMum

Default Please help this mum of a newbie!

I really hope someone out there can help me.

My 7 year old son has fallen in love with the avengers and the whole marvel universe. He also loves to read.

I am looking into getting him started in the comic books for Christmas. But as I am learning as he is, I am at a lost where to start him out on. So where should a 7 year old start?

Also I live in a very isolated part of Australia so if anyone has any recomdations on some good online stores I can buy from, that would be great.

Thank you so much in advance. I can see that I may be on here many more times in the future with prob some very dumb questions (please excuse me for them, this is new to me)

This isn't the exact proper place, but we can probably still help. First off, for a 7 year old, I would say to stay away from the actual Avengers series and go for something all ages friendly, like tie in books for the animates series Avengers: Earths Mightiest Heroes and Avengers Assemble. As far as living in Australia, have you thought about going the digital route and getting him comics on a tablet? It seems like shipping costs would be on the expensive side. You guys are in dire need of an Amazon website!

Hi, you would probably get more responses in the Marvel forum (this is the Ultimate Marvel forum, which gets less traffic). The Marvel forum is here:
    http://community.comicbookresources....-Marvel-Comics

Anyway, as MykeHavoc said, for such a young reader you should get all-ages titles, like volumes from the Marvel Adventures series:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Adventures

Look at the Digest section in that wikipedia article to see titles of trade paperbacks published in that series. Those are shorter, children-friendly stories, and you do not have to worry about complex continuity, very graphical violence or other inappropriate content. Besides, since the stories are independent you can safely buy any of those books without worrying about which others you need to get a whole story.

If you don't want to go digital, there are online stores that offer free delivery worldwide, like http://www.bookdepository.com/ or http://www.play.com/
    For example: this is "Marvel Adventures Avengers: Iron Man" for less than 9 AUD and free delivery:
    http://www.bookdepository.com/Marvel...ctCurrency=AUD

This is "Super Hero Squad", also for a similar price:
    http://www.bookdepository.com/Super-.../9780785143468
    "Marvel-Adventures Spider-man and the Avengers Digest-v-4":
    http://www.bookdepository.com/Marvel.../9780785133230

Search a bit and you'll see many more. Those are 96-page comics, each collecting 4 single issues.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions you have. As a teacher of mine used to say, the only dumb question is the one left unasked.
    Last edited by db105; 09-22-2014 at 09:55 AM.

Marvel.com has a monthly subscription service for $9.99 a month (US dollars) called Marvel unlimited and the website comixology lets you digitally download comics. Hope that helps.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Like the others said, most current comics are very violent so don't buy those. Buy either some 80s comics or some of those all ages comics. You can order internationally via Bookdepository.com or try Amazon. Good luck!
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Amazing Member

To back up everyone else, Marvel, and many other comic companies, mostly produce comics that are NOT for kids; A while back, comic companies decided that comics will be for ADULTS. My advice, do your research and pick your comics wisely. Although, it's up to you what you allow your child to see. It's not too uncommon for young kids to play Grand Theft Auto these days, but they seem to turn out okay. Just as long as they can differentiate fiction from reality!

BANNED

For a seven year old you should really go with the all ages version.

The normal comic books are a bit more violent and have a very convoluted history you would have to catch up on by reading a lot of trade paperbacks. He can jump on those when he hits his teen years.

I would also suggest the digital route. Shipping costs for trades in Australia must be a pain!

Yeah, the main line is rather dark, specially with the new event called AXIS; so i would say that there is a couple of comics about cartoons shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger JD View Post
    To back up everyone else, Marvel, and many other comic companies, mostly produce comics that are NOT for kids; A while back, comic companies decided that comics will be for ADULTS. My advice, do your research and pick your comics wisely. Although, it's up to you what you allow your child to see. It's not too uncommon for young kids to play Grand Theft Auto these days, but they seem to turn out okay. Just as long as they can differentiate fiction from reality!
    Well, how long the comics are not about the main line (also called 616 universe) or the Ultimate line; i think he woud be fine.
    Last edited by dragonmp93; 09-22-2014 at 11:44 AM.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I know my nieces and nephews love the movies and they are 9. But I certainly wouldn't get them any of the current comics because most of them are rated T+ for Teen plus.

I know you asked for comic books and I would go with those suggestions already given. You might want to check out the website Marvel has especially for the younger fans called Marvel Kids . There are some free digital comics there.

But if you want something in the games area, Marvel Legos might be a fun game to buy. Or sign up for the MMO Game at Marvel Super Hero Squad. You can try out the free version or just sign on for a month for $9.95 They have tons of playable characters and even started rolling out Guardians of the Galaxy characters like Groot and Gamora. Superhero Squad was a very cute cartoon for the young kids. They had some books out from the cartoon series in digest format.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 09-22-2014 at 11:54 AM.

I imagine the Marvel Encyclopedia might be fun for your child. And as you are on the journey yourself, and may be tasked with answering questions, you might find it usefully informative as well. I know a few kids who love the Encyclopedia, and for whom it's basically a fantastic picture book.

I rwould post a link but my phone won't do it. But searching that title at Amazon will turn it up.

And good job helping your boy follow his interests. I grew up reading "all ages" Marvel stories, and it has stayed with me all my life. Hopefully you will return with comments and questions as you and your boy continue on this path.

Amazing Member Prince Disarming's Avatar

Thor the Mighty Avenger is a great all ages superhero comic that doesn't require any deep knowledge of continuity. It is a lot of fun and has beautiful art. I would start there.

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

I have a nine year old, (I'm a mother in Perth) and I've been reading comics with her for a couple of years. I mostly read digitally, because I'm too impatient to wait, for Australia post. Here's a few good ones you can get online from the Marvel app.

I agree with the other posters, I'd stay well away from the mainstream Marvel lines. There's too much violence, and general assholery for kids.

Ultimate Spiderman infinite comic: this is a free one on line, set up specifically to be read digitally; and it's really fun. Definitely worth a look.

Thor the Mighty Avenger: not set in the main Marvel Universe, this is a Thor and Jane story. (About 9 issues). It's very suitable for all ages, and beautifully illustrated and written. About a young Thor flung down to Earth powerless for bad behaviour. You may have to explain a few things, but I agree with Prince Disarming, it's gorgeous. (For parent and child).

Lockjaw and the pet Avengers: if he likes animals, this is about a group of pets/ other animals from various parts of the Marvel world, who save the Universe from Thanos. It's fun. If he loves it there are a few other Pet Avengers series. Avengers vs Pet Avengers, which features the main Avengers team is also pretty good. I'd avoid TIls of the Pet Avengers, which is just confusing.

If you have an ipad/iPhone than check out the free section of the Marvel app. There's a "share your universe" selection of comics, with Avengers, Iron Man, Captain America and Wolverine issues, among others. They're rated 9+, but should be fine for a 7 year old with a bit of help. And they are all free. Some of them lead on to full series of comics which are age appropriate.

Wolverine First Class: it's a Wolverine and Kitty Pryde two-hander, and is a great introduction to the x-men. Written by Fred Van Lente and Peter David, who are both fine writers. Fun for parents too.

A-babies vs X-babies: it's a one off very cute special featuring a team of baby X-men against a team of baby Avengers. (My girl loved it, it might be a bit cutesy for a boy.)
    Last edited by Sea Hound; 09-22-2014 at 06:20 PM.
    "Self has no time for this."