Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrion

Default Carrion

So I've been going through my old PP:SSM series lately and have rediscovered some great ("Owl/Octopus War") and not so great (Razorback??) stories and finally got around to committing to revisiting the entire 7-part original Carrion saga (#25-32).

I am not sure how many of you have read this story but I am guessing very few of you, if any, read it when it first was published in the late 1970's as I did. The story held a fair amount of suspense and shock value back then: was Carrion a resurrected Norman Osborn? After all, he knew Peter's ID (back when only he and Harry did), he had a man-purse and seemed hell-bent on revenge! The way this series also focused much more on Pete's college life and cast was also a refreshing change from the Jonah/Aunt May dynamic in the main book. But....the concept of Carrion was contrived even by comic book standards and, frankly, the story didn't warrant 7 issues. And, in the end, the conclusion seemed oddly rushed and anti-climactic considering all the build up.

Still, it is worth a read and was pretty ambitious of a young Bill Mantlo who went on to write some much, much better stories. Thoughts??

Mild-Mannered Reporter BlitheringToot's Avatar

I thought it was a pretty awesome story, Spider-Amoeba notwithstanding. I felt bad for Darter, though ...

I enjoyed the introduction of the Malcolm McBride Carrion even more, but he sort of fell by the wayside post-"Maximum Carnage."

Mantlo's Spider-Man run was really good, in my opinion (of course, I'm a huge fan of Doc Ock and the Black Cat, so I'm biased).
    "What would you prefer? Yellow spandex?" – Scott Summers, 2000

I've read it mostly in black and white thanks to my Essential volume (although I do have color reprints of the Frank Miller issues). It's a strong, but flawed story.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    I am guessing very few of you, if any, read it when it first was published in the late 1970's as I did.
    I read the spanish edition, which had a few months delay. By that time it was already in full color.

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlitheringToot View Post
    I thought it was a pretty awesome story, Spider-Amoeba notwithstanding. I felt bad for Darter, though ...
    Whoa whoa whoa...Spider-Amoeba notwithstanding? Anyone who can't appreciate a Spider-Amoeba is no friend of mine.

Also, Darter has the best death scene ever.

I liked some of the story titles Mantlo used, like "Carrion my Wayward Son."

Spider-Ameoba should show up in Spider-Verse!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    I liked some of the story titles Mantlo used, like "Carrion my Wayward Son."

Spider-Ameoba should show up in Spider-Verse!

ha! Yeah, why not?

Cool topic! I’ve always thought Carrion has a great creepy aesthetic design for a villain, a good name, and formidable powers to boot. And unlike many of Spidey’s other sub-A list villains, he really hasn’t been overexposed. I honestly can’t remember that many stories with him, but I think it would be awesome if someone brought him back for a Halloween arc. (My main exposure to the character was the McBride version in “Shrieking” and “Maximum Carnage,” but I thought he had more potential to stand on his own.)

This just confirms that I really need to go ahead and get the Essential Spectuacular Spider-Man volumes.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

It was a solid story but not one I think back on often. The Spider-Ameoba ending kinda kills it for me.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper of the Crows View Post
    Cool topic! I’ve always thought Carrion has a great creepy aesthetic design for a villain, a good name, and formidable powers to boot. And unlike many of Spidey’s other sub-A list villains, he really hasn’t been overexposed. I honestly can’t remember that many stories with him, but I think it would be awesome if someone brought him back for a Halloween arc. (My main exposure to the character was the McBride version in “Shrieking” and “Maximum Carnage,” but I thought he had more potential to stand on his own.)

This just confirms that I really need to go ahead and get the Essential Spectuacular Spider-Man volumes.
    Oh yeah, I could not recommend the original PP:SSM series more highly and the Essentials line is incredibly affordable!

Agreed that Carrion had a cool aesthetic but his overly convoluted origin(s) and vague yet seemingly omnipotent power set always knocked him down a few pegs on the villain ladder in my book. He kinda reminds me of Morlun in that way….

Mild-Mannered Reporter BlitheringToot's Avatar

That's why I enjoyed the McBride version ... his powers were more clearly defined than the original Carrion's. And I love his explanation of his "flight" powers, how he doesn't fly so much as drift (the Maximum Carnage game did a great job with Carrion, although he was a real pain in the butt).
    "What would you prefer? Yellow spandex?" – Scott Summers, 2000

Quote Originally Posted by BlitheringToot View Post
    That's why I enjoyed the McBride version ... his powers were more clearly defined than the original Carrion's. And I love his explanation of his "flight" powers, how he doesn't fly so much as drift (the Maximum Carnage game did a great job with Carrion, although he was a real pain in the butt).
    Agreed on both counts!

Was the last Carrion appearance the Dead Man's Hand one-shot from the 90s? Think we'll ever see him again?
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Was the last Carrion appearance the Dead Man's Hand one-shot from the 90s? Think we'll ever see him again?
    Actually, he/it just appeared again last year in Superior Spider-Man Team-Up #1-2 in yet another incarnation; not the best story IMO but worth a read!

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Actually, he/it just appeared again last year in Superior Spider-Man Team-Up #1-2 in yet another incarnation; not the best story IMO but worth a read!
    Odd I don't remember that. A good excuse to delve back into SSMTU.