Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    iMan 42s

Default Spider-Man: Whats the sin?

So anyone else think that Silk was handled very poorly in Amazing 1-6? For what we could have gotten out of Original Sin this feels kind of lackluster. What has really been gained from this other than a new character? A new character with spider powers and will be showing up later in spider-woman. I feel that with what original sin was trying to do it seemed to miss the mark with spider-man in my opinion. Spider-man could have had something added to his mythos in a meaningful way other than a character who may not be used ever again.

For Original sin why not?

- Peter and MJ's baby didn't get removed from existence and instead was discovered to have been kidnapped or that the girl Ezekiel had found was Mayday. Black Cat could have discovered the now teenage May and linked it somehow to Spidey and learns its Peter's little girl. Peter than has to become a father to the daughter he thought had been long gone while protecting his identity. You still get a Silk and Peter has to deal with a problem and suddenly Black Cat is now a more credible threat.

Why this could have worked?
    Peter would get a responsibility outside of his company and would have to grow a bit more mature for his daughter. Dependent on what happened to her Peter would want to know what happened and considering this is original SIN. Peter would have a problem that is solely his. This not only would have worked as it fits into the theme of Original Sin being skeletons from the heroes closets that either they didn't know about or didn't want people to know but would be perfect to get Peter back in the game as a more responsible hero instead of the man child we ended up with following the end of Superior,

-------------------------------------------

The return of Ben Reilly?
    Ben is revealed to be alive and well, but something is very odd about the situation being that Peter saw Ben die. Peter Learns Ben was brought back from the dead and ( I guess) ties into Mephisto with one more day. Mephisto cant interfere with Peter's life and Peter cant do anything with Mephisto. Mephisto gets ahold of Ben's soul and binds it to the New Spidercide from the end of the Scarlet spider superior spiderman encounter and creates a spider themed weapon that he can control and manipulate. Peter who cant do anything to Mephisto must find a way to stop and save the revived Ben without even interfering with Mephisto. Mephisto would be using Ben so that way he has a new super powered being to do his bidding considering the Ghost Rider is mostly out of the equation these days.

Why it could've worked
    It would have made Peter even more important in steering the tide of Spiderverse and provided a credible reason why Morlun begins the hunt. Seriously there are tons of spider themed heroes and yet one more makes Morlun realize its time? Did he have a quota? BTW I'm pretty sure Other enhanced Kaine or even Pre cure Kaine can take on Silk pretty easily.

------------------------------------------
    These are just ideas and They probably might've failed but the ideas themselves probably would've been more meaningful than Silk herself existing.

Was a new spider character more important than;
    Peters brother

Peter's daughter

Peter's Homicidal Clone (Both of them)

Whatever spidercide 2.0 was?

SPider totems in general considering Morlun came from that era?

I don't think Dan SLott is a bad writer and I do like his work but Silk feels superfluous when there are already a number of loose ends with the spider-man mythos.

Why thi

BANNED

Babies in comics suck, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    Babies in comics suck, that's why.
    I thought the same because authors bringing her back when ever they can last sawn in Uncanny Avengers and they built in the original story a backdoor for exact that purpose. I think it would be possible to bring here back. I would simple let Mary Jane take care for her since Peter and she aren't together any more. The connection between Peter and the child would be very loose so the child would be in danger and would stop better from his superhero action.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TakoM View Post
    I thought the same because authors bringing her back when ever they can last sawn in Uncanny Avengers and they built in the original story a backdoor for exact that purpose. I think it would be possible to bring here back. I would simple let Mary Jane take care for her since Peter and she aren't together any more. The connection between Peter and the child would be very loose so the child would be in danger and would stop better from his superhero action.
    I can't quite imagine a world where Peter isn't willing to take responsibility for his kid, leaving her to MJ's care alone.

Well, I suppose there could be a world like that out there. Just not sure it'd fit 616 Peter.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I'm fine with it.

Everyone was forced into doing a tie-in to the latest crappy cash grab, so Slott used it to introduce a character he's planned on introducing anyway. That's basically no-harm-no-foul in my book.

P.S. May died. She will never be brought back. Proof? The undying popularity of Sins Past. Let her go.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

I didn't read any of the "Who Killed the Watcher" nonsense... so... did Original Sin on the cover of Amazing Spider-Man mean anything? I thought it was just there for decoration, and to say "Hey! We have the other thing going on too. Maybe you want to check it out? ...Please?"

iMan 42s

It was a tie in. It still doesn't change that much more could've been done with this. Black cat being a crime boss and silk just kind of existing right now. As for Peters daughter she could at least be a teenager. Time is broken so she could be an adult of still around. There really is no set time line of the marvel universe.

That he released her?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    It was a tie in. It still doesn't change that much more could've been done with this. Black cat being a crime boss and silk just kind of existing right now. As for Peters daughter she could at least be a teenager. Time is broken so she could be an adult of still around. There really is no set time line of the marvel universe.

The Original Sin in the Spider-Man Tie-In is that Peter was never told by Ezekiel anything about Cindy Moon and was led to believe that he was the chosen one by the Spider-God Anansi. as it transpires with the referral to Silk by Morlun as The Spider-Bride it would suggest that the full truth regarding Silk is yet to unfold in this case the SPider-Man Original Sin Tie-In would be that Peter Parker is the one Sinned against rather than any Sin

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Oh. For a book that really had nothing to do with anything outside the Spider-Man... world... place. It was a pretty lousy tie-in. I had no idea anything was related to anything else.

BANNED

The sin could have been that Watcher say Mephisto using his demon genie powers to rewrite the universe. But that would mean Slott would have to treat Mary Jane like a viable love interest, and Slott fears that, so he decided to just bring in another love interest for the sake of having a love interest, while also setting up Spider-Verse, and maybe making it so that his own character gets to be more a more notable Spider-Woman than Jessica Drew.

It hasn't been long enough since the events of Spider-Man #75 for Peter and MJ to have a teenage child.

I guess Slott wanted to introduce a spider-character who wasn't related to Peter.

An element of Original Sin is that the sins are tied to things that happened early in the histories of the characters. Thor discovers he has a sister. Tony Stark had a connection to Hulk's origin. Matt Murdoch learns something about why his mother abandoned him.

It wouldn't be consistent with that to have Peter's big secret connect to something that happened in the 1990s comics.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Well, if Marvel wanted to have an "sin" for Spider-Man that didn't involve another person he's never met also being bitten by the same radioactive spider, or revisit baby May or One More Day because they rather not dredge all that stuff up again, what about this idea:

Richard Parker is still alive and, while he was imprisoned, was brainwashed into becoming...the Chameleon? Meaning that Dmitri Smerdyakov is actually an alias/false identity based off an actual person whom the Chameleon adopted.
    Last edited by stillanerd; 09-22-2014 at 11:28 AM.
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

BANNED

You assume Mayday would be a teen. Considering how slow time crawls by in the MU, she would probably be a toddler if she had survived.

Also, since Mephisto undid the whole marriage with the abomination that came to be known as OMD the whole spider baby story is null and void.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It hasn't been long enough since the events of Spider-Man #75 for Peter and MJ to have a teenage child.

I guess Slott wanted to introduce a spider-character who wasn't related to Peter.

An element of Original Sin is that the sins are tied to things that happened early in the histories of the characters. Thor discovers he has a sister. Tony Stark had a connection to Hulk's origin. Matt Murdoch learns something about why his mother abandoned him.

It wouldn't be consistent with that to have Peter's big secret connect to something that happened in the 1990s comics.
    That's very informative. Myth at explains most of the sins, but I have a question about the X-Men Original Sin. How does Xavier's will become an Original Sin? Yes it shows a secret at the start of the Mutant story, but does the eye exploding reveal this will? How is this connected to the OS story at all?