Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Is Saga Losing Momentum?

Does anyone feel like Saga is beginning to lose its momentum? I'm not as excited to read it as I used to be. Perhaps I just miss The Will. Perhaps it's because things are going so poorly in Marko and Alana's relationship. Hopefully this week rejuvenates my love for this series.

Obviously Saga's worst is better than many comic series' best, but I can't help but feel like the current arc has been a big step backwards in terms of quality.

Spectacular Member

i personally look at single issues as chapters, there will be calms and there will be storms, the high points and low points. hell, every book has those chapters which at times we feel like just skipping... but often there is important purpose to those chapters which is not immediately apparent

No way man.

It feels like the book is just starting up. I'm bad with names, but with that TV baby being stolen....I think stuff is about to ramp up. Maybe something to do with the Narrator baby: ie kidnap baby for baby?

I'm Drowning For You Imraith Nimphais's Avatar

Nope.

It remains one of the first books I must read for that week...and I still end up anxious for the next issue. Between Prince V's kidnapping and Marko and Alana's marriage hitting a snag...my interest level is still sky-high.
    Sun and Moon
    STORM #1...Greg Pak (W) Victor Ibanez (A/CA)...July 23rd 2014
    Those who embrace nature are in turn embraced by her.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Not in the slightest. I always enjoy it more when I reread the arcs in a single sitting but even in short monthly installments, it's still pretty damn great.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Not really. Frankly, I felt it lost a ton of momentum in the previous arc (I really did not give a damn about the reporters or the writer remotely and the story felt like it fizzled out at the end), but it managed to pulled itself back with this new one with the fact it at least keeps the story going instead of dragging it out.

Don't think Saga is losing steam at all, the previous arc was a bit of a let down but the current arc pulled me back in. I can't wait to see Dengo's plan come to fruition.

One a side note how many issues do you guys think saga will go for? 50? 60? Im chucking those estimates out based on his previous titles.
    Last edited by Davenex; 09-22-2014 at 10:51 PM.
    Black Science, Copperhead, Deadly Class, East of West, The Fade Out, Five Ghosts, Ghosted, Injustice, Invincible, Lazarus, Manifest Destiny, Nailbiter, Outcast, Saga, Southern Bastards, Spread,The Walking Dead, Wayward, XO Manowar

Spectacular Member

Part of the point of this book is that the story begins as a fairy-tale romance, with star-crossed lovers on the run, but then ordinary complications find their way into that fantasy, turning it from high fantasy that happens to include irreverent sex jokes into a family memoir that happens to involve a bit of space magic. At this point in the story, when the characters have become disillusioned as routine chores replace the drama of war and escape, that loss of momentum is a plot point rather than a failing. The characters are feeling the loss of momentum, and suffering from it, while the book seems to be setting things up for another round of big complications.

Of course, it's also true that new series don't stay new indefinitely. Saga has been around for long enough that the exciting first impression is behind us, which is an odd moment for any serial. The follow-through can be more satisfying and substantial than that discovery phase, but it's rarely as dazzling. But in that light it's smart for Saga to change moods and shake things up instead of attempting to prolong the feel of the first issues indefinitely. Second acts are tough. Identification with the characters can make their troubles seem like an aesthetic problem rather than a necessity for the plot....I have a friend who re-reads the first third of Pride and Prejudice about once a year, but can't stand seeing everything start to go wrong. And I sympathize, but still I mock.

Formally: The Adventurer Jim Purcell's Avatar

Its kind of in a weird place right now where I'm not too pleased with the main character's choices. In that their not really ringing true. Its problemsome because this happened in both Y the Last Man and Ex Machina, which resulted in me dropping both titles. I've been really into SAGA a lot more then either of those titles. So its kind of annoying to see it sliding back into BKVisms. We'll see how the rest of the arc shakes out. If things don't feel better... I guess I'll be taking it one issue at a time.

Also, anyone who doesn't think SAGA is meant to be read monthly. You're dead wrong. Saga has some of the BEST cliffhangers in serial fiction right now.

Im enjoying it more than ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Davenex View Post
    Don't think Saga is losing steam at all, the previous arc was a bit of a let down but the current arc pulled me back in. I can't wait to see Dengo's plan come to fruition.

One a side note how many issues do you guys think saga will go for? 50? 60? Im chucking those estimates out based on his previous titles.
    I'd say that he would do a few more than 50/60. Vaughn has said that he is learning a fuckload of money out of this series, although that shouldn't be his prime motivator I'm sure he would want to keep it going for as long as possible. I myself would want to see it end around the 50/60 mark so the quality doesn't start to dip. Fables is finishing up its run next year on issue 150 but the quality of the books dropped immensely which I would hate to see happen with Saga.

To answer the OPs question, I think this arc was very much to do with character building and letting the characters speak for themselves rather than events around them forcing them into situations. I've found it very rewarding/heartbreaking to see the continuing dissolution of Alana and Marko's relationship but I think this arc is really going to pick up now with Dengo's arrival and the cover for the next issue looks particularly intriguing.

Watching The Wheels wrkngclasshero's Avatar

No... just no...

I actually hope this becomes the next Walking Dead, a book that just goes on w/ no clear end point. As long as the quality remains as high as it is right now, I could easily spend 100+ issues with these folks.

The only concern is that the story has, for lack of a better term, How I Met Your Mother Syndrome. HIMYM was, IMHO, a smart funny show, but as time went on it became clear they were running out of time for Ted to transition from "story Ted" to "narrator Ted" and as a result the final season dipped a bit in quality (its still one of my favorite show though of all time though).

That's all i got, hope you get back on the Saga train because it looks to be an entertaining ride!!
    "A working class hero is something to be..." - J. Lennon

Spectacular Member

This series is one of my top favourites next to the Mignolaverse stuff and no way is it losing momentum. it's only just getting started, the covers for the next two issues look very interesting. The brand on #24 looks a little pissed off perhaps her brother doesn't make it and she's out for revenge. Can't wait till tomorrow for #23 eeek

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

short answer: no.

long answer: no, sir.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

Yeah I don't think so either, ideally by now you're invested enough in the main characters to just enjoy hanging out with them even if there's no running from danger every issue. I find it rather painful to just see them both making such terrible decisions, but it does feel rather truthful. One moment in the last issue I found very hard to swallow, but maybe that's just because I'm really rooting for Alana & Marko.

The only things I've not liked as much (yet?) are those 2 journalist characters, and I don't really feel Dengo's motivations yet. Would really like some frakking closure regarding The Will, Lying Cat and Gwendolyn though! Also more Stalk plz. But perhaps we'll see them in the next arc again? If a series has you asking for more of certain characters, that's a good thing right.
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!