Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default Superhero costumes

Anything and everything related to Superhero costumes and costume design is part of the conversation.

What's your favorite costume?

Do you prefer your costumes practical or outlandish?

I got the idea for this thread while watching this panel with Paul Levitz and some other comic creators.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

This is a good idea for a thread but I strongly suspect it will develop into a slanging match about New 52 costumes.

I like the Silver Age Flash design. Sleek.

Good idea for a thread. I have a love/hate relationship with superhero costumes. On the one hand, I'd prefer they not be too realistic. On the other, I'd prefer they didn't have really outlandish elements, either. For instance, I think Captain America's costume is pretty good overall, but I never liked the buccaneer boots. Some artists, like John Cassaday, could make the boots look good in place (probably because he's a Captain America fan), but most artists made them look terrible.

As far as best costumes, I think it belongs to Spider-Man. Somehow, this costume has all the elements that works, IMO. It's complicated, colourful and iconic, but has been adapted to live-action pretty well.

Do I like them practical? Absolutely not. I'd like them to look good in the comics, but I know it would be tweaked if they made it for a practical landscape like movies or TV shows. I really hate the movement towards practicality...once again, I'm looking at YOU, Captain America. So all this time, you were skinning your knees and you FINALLY decided to add some ugly, off-colour knee pads to your look? UGH!
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

It's a mixed bag for me, and mostly depends on the character. Some work better in a practical set of street clothes. Imagine Jack Hawksmoor in a spandex suit. It just doesn't work for the character. Conversely, imagine Spider-Man in a t-shirt and jeans while web swinging through New York. Again, it doesn't really work. Then you have guys like Wolverine who can pull of either look (though I would argue he works best/makes more sense in street clothes). I will say that even when the costume is spandex, I vastly prefer it when an artist at least tries to make it look believable. Drawing lines on a massive muscular figure and then coloring the body a non-flesh tone doesn't constitute a body.

For example, I prefer this version of Superman:

Over this version:

The first image actually looks like something a human being could wear, while the second image shows impossible levels of muscle definition while wearing ANY type of clothing.
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    The yellow one is my favorite, only because I got into Power Girl through Justice League Europe. The rest have always looked wrong to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Goggindowner View Post
    The first image actually looks like something a human being could wear
    Hey! Superman's not a human being lol

Superman and the (Silver Age) Flash costumes are the two best designed costumes in history, in my opinion. Simple, colorful, and sleek, but still convey what the character is all about.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

I don't have a preference as to what i read about. But when I write my own fanfics, I tend to make my characters "costumes" more pratical...especially the street level ones
    "At my core I was never a hero, I was a hunter"

I've always wondered what was the thought process behind Plasticman's costume. I'm not sure if I consider it a bad design or a good design.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post

I've always wondered what was the thought process behind Plasticman's costume. I'm not sure if I consider it a bad design or a good design.
    With that outfit he must've lost a bet

Quote Originally Posted by Pharozonk View Post
    Superman and the (Silver Age) Flash costumes are the two best designed costumes in history, in my opinion. Simple, colorful, and sleek, but still convey what the character is all about.
    Absolutely agree! Can I toss the second Daredevil costume in there, too?

I always liked DD's black outfit

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Omega View Post
    I always liked DD's black outfit
    Wow! Someone I agree with on the Fall From Grace uniform same here, I always thought it got a bad rap, very underrated. It had a kind of samurai-feel to it that I always liked.

Quote Originally Posted by weezer17 View Post
    Wow! Someone I agree with on the Fall From Grace uniform same here, I always thought it got a bad rap, very underrated. It had a kind of samurai-feel to it that I always liked.
    To me it's a typical 90's design. Gratuitous armor that at the same time doesn't cover any vital parts on the body(Thus defeating the point of armor).