Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Superman: Futures End #1 Preview / Discussion

Superman: Futures End #1

Source: Nerdist

https://www.nerdist.com/2014/09/excl...end-1-preview/

Summary: There’s a new, much darker Superman prowling the streets of Metropolis! But who exactly is he?

Damn Lois.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Can it be Wednesday? Ready for this,Booster Gold and FE 21...

Yeah, Lois is kind of getting on my nerves in this right now.
    Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us. And on my soul, I swear... until my dream of a world where dignity, honor and justice becomes the reality we all share -- I'll never stop fighting. Ever.
    -Superman, Action Comics #775

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Yeah I'm not ashamed to say Lois is pretty obnoxious in this. I get it you have this obligation to shed light on the truth. That's noble and pretty admirable. But how bout getting all your facts before you go blowing everything. Then how absolutely callous she acts towards him as she lets herself in his home. She's also doing it in a manner like she's doing him a favor. It's quite unlikable if you ask me.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 09-23-2014 at 01:39 PM.

BANNED

Well that is Lois personality, she is stubborn. she wants to know the truth, because superman is a important hero for her and she probably think Billy is carrying to much baggage being superman;

This isn't being stubborn it's being a jerk for no reason. And published the story before she got all the facts. Then lets not forget the double standard of all of this. In continuity be it movie, TV, or comic Lois learns Superman is Clark and instead of publishing for the world to know she keeps the secret after learning why it's a secret. Why doesn't Billy get the same benefit of the doubt here?

Billy could be pretending to be Superman to keep everyone's spirits up because if they found out that Superman gave up on them they'd be crushed. Lois could have a issue with this and say that she thinks his time would be better used maybe getting Superman back instead of pretending to be him, BUT she could have gotten ALL sides of the story before deeming it necessary to publish.

She just comes off as pushy, mean, horribly impatient, and close minded. The Lois character can a stubborn go getter but in a much more likable manner. This right here is a b!tch.

Feels like it was pulled directly out of the "How to write a no-nonsense reporter" playbook. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Agreed and this is one of those times where I don't think it works

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    This isn't being stubborn it's being a jerk for no reason. And published the story before she got all the facts. Then lets not forget the double standard of all of this. In continuity be it movie, TV, or comic Lois learns Superman is Clark and instead of publishing for the world to know she keeps the secret after learning why it's a secret. Why doesn't Billy get the same benefit of the doubt here?
    She usually has romantic feelings for Superman and here she does not have that as a factor for Billy. It's not really a good explanation in that it suggests Lois' actions are a tad self serving. Unless Billy has been a danger to others and she's doing it for the protection of others. I haven't been following Future's End so I don't know the finer details.

The attitude is indeed a little off-putting, and it still doesn't make sense to me why she would reveal this story when she readily admits here that there has to be more to it, while at the same time she's gone on record saying she wasn't going to reveal the Tim Drake-is-alive story just yet for that exact same reason. With that said however I still put some of the blame on Billy himself and Stormguard for not adequately explaining why the secret is necessary when they had the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    The attitude is indeed a little off-putting, and it still doesn't make sense to me why she would reveal this story when she readily admits here that there has to be more to it, while at the same time she's gone on record saying she wasn't going to reveal the Tim Drake-is-alive story just yet for that exact same reason. With that said however I still put some of the blame on Billy himself and Stormguard for not adequately explaining why the secret is necessary when they had the chance.
    Yeah it's super odd when you remember the Tim Drake stuff too.

Quote Originally Posted by hellacre View Post
    She usually has romantic feelings for Superman and here she does not have that as a factor for Billy. It's not really a good explanation in that it suggests Lois' actions are a tad self serving. Unless Billy has been a danger to others and she's doing it for the protection of others. I haven't been following Future's End so I don't know the finer details.
    Yes I know it's quite a double standard. She just goes ahead a break the story without gathering all of the details first. In the "there's more to things than meets the eye" world of Superheroes you'd assume that Lois wouldn't just go into things without as many sides of the story as she can get.

There's no double standard. Lois typically keeps the secret that Clark Kent is Superman. Lois didn't reveal that Billy is Superman or Billy is Shazaam; she revealed that Shazaam was Superman. She did not expose Billy's secret identity to the world or reveal he is a superhero. Shazaam and the Justice League were deceiving the public, and it's the responsibility of a journalist with integrity to reveal the truth.

Billy could be pretending to be Superman to keep everyone's spirits up because if they found out that Superman gave up on them they'd be crushed.
    It is not Billy's or the Justice League's responsibility to shield the public from being crushed by Superman's failures or mistakes. If Billy and the Justice League wanted to reassure the public, then Billy as Shazaam could have taken Superman's place symbolically rather than putting on a mask and lying.

She just comes off as pushy, mean, horribly impatient, and close minded. The Lois character can a stubborn go getter but in a much more likable manner. This right here is a b!tch.
    I completely disagree. The way Superman, Shazaam, and the Justice League handled Superman's past mistakes is a horrifying example of a breach of public trust. If I were to discover that a secretive organization of extraordinarily powerful individuals who don't answer to anyone but themselves was protecting its own ass through this sort of deceit, then I would be outraged. The sheer audacious hypocrisy of attempting to maintain public trust by lying to them is absolutely absurd.

BANNED

you could apply the exact same criticism to superman himself though. on a certain level, lane's action does come off as self serving

She just goes ahead a break the story without gathering all of the details first.
    Twenty-first century media, ladies and gentlemen! And you thought it was annoying when forum commenters would post "First."