Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

You know I see one of the biggest reasons people don't want Gwen back is that she was a boring character. I would agree that's true but if you stop and look at the time she was written it was at a time when super hero Girl Friends were boring and not much was done to develop them as characters. I mean look at MJ during that time. We knew she was a party girl who had liked Peter and liked Spider-man and she had an Aunt Anna. That was about it. It wasn't till after Gwen died that they really started to develop the MJ character and frankly it wasn't till they decided to bring the character back after they wrote her out of the books for a while that we even learned her back story.

Also Gwen was around for less than 100 books. MJ has been around for over 1,000 if you could all the issues of Amazing she's been in along with all the other Spider titles shes been in over the years. Of course MJ's character is going to be developed more.

Yes since Gwen died they have gone back and flushed out the character more and frankly I think Emma Stone/the writers of the movies did more for the Gwen character than any comicbook writer has ever done for her. What's wrong with that? She was around at a time that those characters weren't developed so writers have developed her after the fact. I don't have a problem with that.

With that said, the most meaningful thing Gwen ever did was die because of the impact it's had on Peter over the years. Her death was so powerful it's still impact the comics 40 some years later. It ensured she will never be forgotten. You could argue outside of Uncle Ben and Bruce Wayne's parents her death was the most meaningful in comics. There is something about her dying that has made it some powerful and it's not just because she has stayed dead. Her dad also died and has stayed dead and yet his death doesn't have nearly the meaning to it that hers did. That and the fact that it's 40 years later and some people still want her back and most of those people weren't reading the books when she was around (which means people had to go back and learn about her) tells me that there is something about her that made people care about that character.

I've said before I am all for bringing Gwen back IF you can find the right story to do it and the fact that no one has been able to come up with that story in over 40 years tells me that that story isn't going to be easy to tell. It also tells me Marvel and the people who write Spider-man understand just how important her death was and they aren't just going to bring her back for the heck of it. Anything done to bring Gwen back would have to not cheapen her death and frankly I don't know if that story can be told.

I will also say this if we are going to do a Gwen comes back story I want the real Gwen to come back. Not another clone story. The clone thing has been played out enough. I am not holding my breath on her coming back anytime soon. Frankly I think it's more likely that MJ and Peter get back together than they bring Gwen back. I also do think they will put MJ and Peter back together as a couple at some point (maybe not married but dating) because I think MJ has become Peter's destiny. Any love interest they have tried to give Peter over the years (including Gwen) has always lost out to MJ and not just in the stories but with the fans. So I think it's only a matter of time till MJ and Peter find their way back to each other.

Gwen needs to stay dead. Bringing her back just regresses Spider-Man even further then OMD did. The only way that I find it to be acceptable is if Marvel went the New 52 route that DC did and started completely over.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    I honestly don't see the need to bring Gwen back to life. Every time someone writes a story going back to Gwen, it's always questionable on why it was made. Other than the first Clone Saga, there hasn't been one story that stood out as a neat Gwen story. Even Spider-Man Blue is a flashback story, not something building off of Gwen's death but what her and Peter had.
    It's not about need it's about want. There's no NEED for a Spider-man to even exist but he does because there are readers who WANT to read his stories. In the case of Gwen there are readers who want to see her return, as there are readers who don't. The title of this thread is Anyone WANT Gwen Back? I do. You don't. I have my reasons for wanting her back, you have your reasons for not. It's not a question of need it's a matter of want.

Heck I'm not a big fan of Norman Osborn still being alive, but doesn't mean I want Gwen to come back to fix it. With Gwen, it's better things were cut short cause it will always have an affect on Peter forever. It's his deep dark secret that he can't tell anyone cause he can't handle it himself. It's the same thing when Jason Todd got killed off in Batman. It affects the hero in a way they can't tell the people closest to them that they were responsible for another person's death because they were being a hero and failed.
    Bringing Gwen is one of MY reasons for bringing Gwen back, to fix what I see as a karmic imbalance. Just because Gwen coming back wouldn't fix it from YOUR perspective doesn't mean it doesn't from MINE.

Quote Originally Posted by dddaaavvv View Post
    It's not about need it's about want. There's no NEED for a Spider-man to even exist but he does because there are readers who WANT to read his stories. In the case of Gwen there are readers who want to see her return, as there are readers who don't. The title of this thread is Anyone WANT Gwen Back? I do. You don't. I have my reasons for wanting her back, you have your reasons for not. It's not a question of need it's a matter of want.

Bringing Gwen is one of MY reasons for bringing Gwen back, to fix what I see as a karmic imbalance. Just because Gwen coming back wouldn't fix it from YOUR perspective doesn't mean it doesn't from MINE.
    Ok so clearly you just want Gwen back so you can be happy, I get that.
    The honest point your missing though is that theres no guarantee that the story that brought her back would make you happy. So many times when a writer tries to do something that makes a certain part of any fandom happy, they end up pissing them off instead. That's why there should be a need to be Gwen back, cause it won't come back to bite you later on. You want Gwen back because you grew up thinking she would/deserves to come back, but coming from someone who was born way after Gwen died and started reading Spider-Man from 2000, she served her purpose already.

No, if she was brought back her death would of meant nothing.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke the Terminator View Post
    No, if she was brought back her death would of meant nothing.
    I don't think Gwen's death has meant anything ever since Sins Past.

Quote Originally Posted by Daredevil is Legend View Post
    I wonder if Spider-Man's movie rights were owned by Marvel Studios if she would have been back already?
    The question that goes along this one is pretty simple. If Marvel had the Spider-Man film rights, would they even use Gwen at all?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Qrx2 View Post
    Thank you. I just want to be clear while I wouldn't close the door on Gwen coming back someday it doesn't mean I think it's going to happen soon. Dan Slott has made it known as recently as yesterday that he has no plans to bring her back.

https://twitter.com/DanSlott/status/465228165636317184

People could argue they have never tried to bring Gwen back that it has been clones in the past but in Slott's eyes it's been tried.

With that said Slott wont write the book forever. At some point someone will probably try it. I just don't think it's going to happen anytime in the near future I am just saying I wouldn't go as far to as to say it will never ever happen.
    Sadly, this is the case. The publishers are happy with Slott's work right now so even if there was a desire to bring her back, Slott would get the final word, and that would be no. HOWEVER! There have been stirrings since ASM 2 that there is a revival in interest in Gwen, so If the Powers That Be at Marvel believe that the interest in bringing back Gwen is strong enough, the might be persuaded to override Slott, but that would take a LOT of interest!

P.S. Slott was being nice on twitter about bringing back Gwen. In an earlier statement couple of years back, in no uncertain terms he stated that as long as he was on the book, Gwen stays dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Pako View Post
    I don't think Gwen's death has meant anything ever since Sins Past.
    Allow me to rephrase that, if she were brought back What's to stop Marvel bringing back other characters that don't need to be brought back, such as Uncle Ben as others have been pointing out.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    Ok so clearly you just want Gwen back so you can be happy, I get that..
    Sorry but you missed the point. I don't JUST want Gwen back. I want her back, THEN I want her and Peter to have the life together they were denied. This is a big condition.

The honest point your missing though is that theres no guarantee that the story that brought her back would make you happy.
    If my condition is met, yes I would be happy.

So many times when a writer tries to do something that makes a certain part of any fandom happy, they end up pissing them off instead.
    So many times this due poor communication between the writer and the fans. The writer ends up making false assumptions and the fans end up making false expectations.

That's why there should be a need to be Gwen back, cause it won't come back to bite you later on.
    If my condition is met it won't come back to bite me.

You want Gwen back because you grew up thinking she would/deserves to come back, but coming from someone who was born way after Gwen died and started reading Spider-Man from 2000, she served her purpose already.
    I grew up expecting Peter and Gwen to get married and basically have the life that Peter and MJ got. Gwen was originally written to be the love of Peter's life. Peter's version of Lois Lane. This was loosely choreographed from her first appearance. MJ was supposed to be Gwen's foil, her competition for Peter's attention, Veronica to her Betty. I grew up seeing their romance grow. Seeing this relationship blossom, this was an inevitability. Peter and Gwen getting married wasn't an IF it was a WHEN.

There were a lot of things that transpired that caused her death to be even more shocking. With everything that happened including Capt. Stacy's death, her going to England, her shockingly joyous return in #98, all the obstacles that they had overcome it looked like their wedding was just a matter of time, whenever the writers got around to it. Then #121. In the mind of an eleven year old boy this wasn't supposed to happen. They were supposed live happily ever after (to a certain extent.)

Anyway I hope you get the idea. From my perspective Gwen's purpose was to be the woman Spider-man married, she didn't get the chance to serve that purpose. MJ was supposed to be the maid of honor or something. NOT the one he married. As I said this, was basically preordained back in #25. There were hints even back then. I'm not saying that you can't appreciate, to a certain extent, what I'm saying, But to be eleven, and to read this stuff first hand in the insulated world of the early 1970's, it did have a profound effect on my outlook on the world. Thus my passion for wanting Gwen and Peter to have the life together that they were denied, or some derivative thereof.

I hope this clarifies my position.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    The question that goes along this one is pretty simple. If Marvel had the Spider-Man film rights, would they even use Gwen at all?
    Maybe it's not so much Gwen but her death scene that people want to see? If that's the what people want, and it seems to be, given the cartoons version, the version in Raimi's Spider-man 1 and 3 and ASM1's foreshadowing and ASM2, then give them a dead Gwen and don't use MJ at all. After all what's MJ done that has been a landmark event that revolutionized the comic book industry? All she did was marry a superhero. Big deal. Hell, that's been done to death. Pun intended.

Instead of being subversive on this thread why don't you take the friendly suggestion that I offered earlier and start an "Anyone Want MJ Back?" thread and be supportive on that one?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    They'd have the same reasons Sony did. It sets up one of the most famous Spider-Man stories, and allows the new films to be different from the Raimi trilogy.

But a new question: Would Gwen Stacy be in any of the films if she hadn't been killed off so memorably?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    They'd have the same reasons Sony did. It sets up one of the most famous Spider-Man stories, and allows the new films to be different from the Raimi trilogy.

But a new question: Would Gwen Stacy be in any of the films if she hadn't been killed off so memorably?
    That is a very interesting question. Of course we can only speculate at the answer. It is my understanding is the reason Gwen was killed off was that the natural progression in her's and Peters relationship would have been marriage. At the time no one at Marvel wanted a married Spider-man. Had Gwen survived the title of this thread might have been "Anyone want Mary Jane back". In accordance with Chaos Thoery, Spider-Man history may have been very different.
    Last edited by eSoldier; 05-12-2014 at 07:13 AM.
    Stay Calm. Carry Guns.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

The thing is NONE of these films had to use Gwen at all. They could have used newer storylines, newer characters, etc. and stood on their own merits. It was just lazy to go back forty plus years and exploit this famous story for a few more bucks at the box office in the opening week. Once word got out that there was there was no #121 type death scene, but it was a good movie, Raimi #1 and #3 did well at the box office. Raimi#2 stood on it's own merits and did well also. Raimi #3 could just as easily used Debra Whitman as blond competition for MJ. Sony#1 could have started with MJ from the beginning and skipped right past #121 in Sony#2.

Basically Gwen and her memorable death make a quick, lazy buck, in the comics, in the cartoons, in the movies, etc.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by eSoldier View Post
    That is a very interesting question. Of course we can only speculate at the answer. It is my understanding is the reason Gwen was killed off was that the natural progression in her's and Peters relationship would have been marriage. At the time no one at Marvel wanted a married Spider-man. Had Gwen survived the title of this thread might have been "Anyone want Mary Jane back". In accordance with Chaos Thoery, Spider-Man history may have been very different.
    Interesting scenario. If Gwen and Peter HAD gotten married back then, MJ might have just faded into the background, but I doubt it. Marvel has been recycling most of those characters from that era all the way up till today. My guess is that she would still be around popping in and out of the stories the way she did before she and Peter got married. I suspect that she would have become somewhat of a comic relief for a while. Coming back into town for a modeling gig, throwing a party and getting one of the gang in some sort of trouble! Then again, maybe she could have become some sort of fashion mogul, making millions selling her fashion line. Yes, you are correct, Spider-man's history would be VERY different!