Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Anyone Want Gwen Back?

I was reading about the original vision JMS had for OMD and found it super interesting that it involved Gwen surviving. To me this made perfect sense because the only plausible way i could see Peter and MJ not ending up together is because Gwen was around. Was wondering how everyone else felt about a Gwen revival.

No, it's as good as bringing Uncle Ben back.

On the other hand, bringing Captain Stacy back but having Gwen still die would sure have been interesting. What would the dynamics have been between Stacy and Spider-Man post Gwen's death? Especially if he had known Spidey's identity.

The impact her death left on the stories can sometimes be noted, and essential
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaDrake View Post
    Was wondering how everyone else felt about a Gwen revival.
    I feel it would be the worst idea ever.

The only interesting thing about the character was that she died. Her death provided one of the rare moments of change in Spider-Man continuity, and provided more layers to Peter's story.

And ASM 121 is often cited as one of the most significant comics of all time, as it provides a symbolic end for the Silver Age.

And they'd never do it, anyway. For example, they didn't dare undo the deaths of Norman Osborn, Harry Osborn, Aunt May, or Kraven the Hunter - because they knew those stories ranked as some of the finest in the history of ASM.

Oh, hang on...

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
    I feel it would be the worst idea ever.

The only interesting thing about the character was that she died. Her death provided one of the rare moments of change in Spider-Man continuity, and provided more layers to Peter's story.

And ASM 121 is often cited as one of the most significant comics of all time, as it provides a symbolic end for the Silver Age.

And they'd never do it, anyway. For example, they didn't dare undo the deaths of Norman Osborn, Harry Osborn, Aunt May, or Kraven the Hunter - because they knew those stories ranked as some of the finest in the history of ASM.

Oh, hang on...
    LOL...

I believe most people wouldn't want to see Gwen back. What could she add to the story apart from playing Peter's love interest once again? Her dead's iconic because she's one of the very few main characters in comics whose death seem to be permanent. Change that and her death would have lost it's meaning.

All-New Member

I may be biased, being such a big MJ fan, but I agree that Gwen should remain dead.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR League Unlimited View Post
    The impact her death left on the stories can sometimes be noted, and essential
    As essential as the Deaths of Norman and Harry and Aunt May.

Or what Ock said.

Quote Originally Posted by Anis View Post
    LOL...

I believe most people wouldn't want to see Gwen back. What could she add to the story apart from playing Peter's love interest once again? Her dead's iconic because she's one of the very few main characters in comics whose death seem to be permanent. Change that and her death would have lost it's meaning.
    You mean like how Norman and Bucky's deaths seemed to be permanent?

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Man View Post
    You mean like how Norman and Bucky's deaths seemed to be permanent?
    No, those two don't count anymore. Their deaths used to be iconic, now they aren't because they're no longer dead.

Gwen's death is still iconic. Bringing her back just would cheapen her death.

No, those two don't count anymore. Their deaths used to be iconic, now they aren't because they're no longer dead.

The issue is, who cares? Gwen's death happened 40 years ago. Whatever drama and stories they can play off of that has been done hundreds of times. Quite frankly I'm tired of all the Gwen clones, relatives, secrets, etc stories they've been doing over the years. And tired of the constant flashbacks to her death scene and references to it. I say if they can bring her back in a manner that make sense, and makes for an interesting storyline then they should go for it. An iconic character like that make us the reader care a lot more than any random new character that they make up (ie Carlie Cooper). Plus Spideys supporting cast really needs a good shot in the arm.
    Last edited by Probalus; 05-07-2014 at 05:58 AM.

How do they not count? Becuz u say so? There deaths were just as seemingly permanent as Gwen's.

Nope, I think she needs to stay dead. If for no other reason than bringing her back (the original and not a clone) would mean having to open up the Sins Past can of worms all over again.

I can't help but think that Gwen would have trouble not being curious what happened to the kids she had. Don't really see how they couldn't bring up Norman Osborn around her without someone mentioning the european fling she had with Norman. I think that her and Peter hashing all this out would probably make both characters come off pretty bad and sort of tarnish the legacy she left behind (more than has been I mean). I like her as an idealized girlfriend of Peter's that died and drove him onward, rather than, "Oh I'm so glad that you are back....but I can never forgive you for sleeping with my arch enemy, who later killed you in case you forgot." This is not to say that's all she was good for as a character, but I think that it was a powerful moment in Spider-Man's, and comics, history and undoing it just seems wrong some

Just my thoughts on it, probably not even worth my mentioning.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

As I've always thought, if Marvel really wants to bring Gwen back, transfer Ultimate Gwen over to the 616 Universe at some point. That way it doesn't step on the story's toes and Ultimate Gwen is different enough of a person so that her relationship with 616 Peter would be quite different, especially given the age gap.

I love Gwen, but the only way I'd be okay with her coming back is if there were a complete Spider-Man/Marvel continuity reboot, for whatever reason. But, I seriously doubt that will happen any time soon.

Yes bring her back. The story has come and gone, and everyone else has been resurrected in some shape or form (Norman) so why not her?

I would like it to be something different like how Bucky was brought back as the Winter Soldier. Maybe she can return as an enemy seeking revenge on Spiderman and Goblin.