Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    BANNED

I am guessing that there wasn`t a clear explanation about Longshot´s lightness yet

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

I think it was stated for the first time in the Limited Series 'X-Men vs. Fantastic Four' (1987).

It's adorable how spontaneously he keeps sitting on Rogue's shoulders .
    Last edited by Ricochet Rita; 07-29-2015 at 05:54 AM.

Issue Information
    Title- Longshot (Volume 1) #5
    Release Date- January 1986
    Writer- Ann Noccenti
    Artist- Art Adams

Major Notes
    Penultimate issue. Features Doctor Strange

Brief Summary

Deadly Lies

Longshot has confronted his former friend Gog and he has some children with him. Longshot demand that he tells him more about his origins but Gog turns this down. He states how Longshot tricked him to coming to this planet and how he has become bloated on magic. One of the children begins to panic and pulls out a gun but Gog strikes him away. This causes Longshot to leap into action but Gog is able to take him down. He also states how Longshot is a rebel slave and he is a rebel hunger. He completely blames Longshot for what has happened to him and Longshot knows that it is his fault.

At Ricochet Rita’s house Rita is still under the mercy of Mojo and Spiral. Mojo seems to be happy that he has found a planet of slaves but he knows that the slaves must not know about Earth. Spiral is even thinking about escaping but with her extra arms she would never blend in. Mojo demands Rita tell him where Longshot is and he even begins to age her. Despite this she refuses to say. He commands Spiral to open a portal and they leave with Rita as Mojo decides to torture her so that she will talk.

Meanwhile Longshot is losing his fight much to the dismay of the kids. They think that he’s a coward but Longshot strikes again and is able to slash Gog. A tentacle grows from the wound and grabs him. Gog dares him to kill him but if he does he will never get his memories back. Longshot is cut free by Gog himself but at that moment another hunter appears and tells Longshot to get up. He asks Longshot to help him destroy Gog but in his confusion prevents him from acting. The kids walk away when they see Longshot doing nothing and now fully believe that he’s a coward. They do see the hunter taking on Gog but the hunter is seemingly defeated. Gog is hurt however and the kids decide to go home.

At the Sanctum Sanctorum using the Orb of Agamotto Doctor Strange is able to detect that several beings have teleported to and from Earth. He is able to pinpoint the location of the last teleport that took place mere hours earlier. He then leaves so that he can face the creatures responsible.

Longshot walks away and is in much confusion over what has happened and his own origin. He sits by a statue and empties his satchel which contains various items from his time on Earth so far. He feels incredibly low while in another dimension Rita has been brought to a flying pirate like ship. Rita is strapped to the front of the ship and this is her torture. She begins to scream but no sound is produced, they plan to torture her even longer with no mercy.

Back on Earth Longshot is still confused and he places his hand on the statue. He begins to remember running in a field looking for his creator. He comes across a butterfly which turns out to be mechanical. He sees that it is fake like himself and when he follows it he comes across a strange looking building. A creature asks if he can help him and Longshot responds that he is looking for the person who taught men how to walk. The creature opens up revealing a very tall man who calls himself Arize. He does recognise Longshot as one of his own creations. Longshot asks for his help to free the slaves and Arize begins to explain how he is special. He begins to explain the origins of the spinless ones and how he taught them to walk. Soon after that they wanted him to build weapons of destruction and when he refused they turned on him. He now only builds for amusement and he explains to Longshot how he is a living creature and by knowing this the rest will follow.

Longshot snaps back to reality and he begins to wonder what his memory meant. He believes that Rita will help him remember but when he reaches her house he finds that it is badly damaged. Doctor Strange is also there and he is examining Rita’s dead pets. Their lifeforce has been completely drained and when Longshot asks about Rita it takes Doctor Strange by surprise since he thought the house belonged to a man. He is able to detect rifts in the multiverse and he asks if Longshot knows about this. Longshot begins to read the past of the objects around him but he sense no future for Rita here and he fears that she might be dead. Longshot agrees to take Doctor Strange to Gog on the condition that he doesn’t kill him.
    Gog is still recovering from his wounds when suddenly Longshot and Doctor Strange appear. Doctor Strange detects that Gog is bloated with magic and it wields him rather than the opposite way around. Gog goes to strike Longshot who just dodges out of the way, Doctor Strange blasts him with a magic beam but Gog absorbs it and grows additional arms. Longshot strikes Doctor Strange continues to conjure magic for Gog to absorb. Gog eventually becomes so bloated that he cannot move and the pair begin their plan to banish him to another reality. Longshot throws one of his knives which when it strikes Gog makes the demon seemingly explode.

Longshot is saddened that this has happened since he still felt that Gog was his friend but Doctor Strange sees this as being idealistic. They notice someone coming and it is the hunter from before who is disappointed that Longshot left him. He introduces himself as Quark and that they are on the same side. He states how they were created and Longshot figures that he found this planet and was forced to has his memories wiped. Longshot tried to rebel against the spineless ones and he knows that he must return to his own dimension. First he wishes to free Rita and wishes to use his luck to find her. Quark begins to explain how their luck powers work and if they use it too often that the scales get tipped against them. He doesn’t care and all he wants to do is find Rita and set everything right.

My Thoughts

Now we come to the penultimate issue of Longshot in what was a very revealing issue. We learned more about Longshot’s history and the fact that he was artificially created rather than being born. We kind of already knew that he was a slave but this issue just cemented the fact and also told us how he is basically like Spartacus.

This issue did feature the well known Marvel Hero Doctor Strange who did play a fairly large part in the issue’s second half. He did help Longshot defeat Gog who I’m not sure actually was teleported to another dimension or simply died. I don’t think he appeared after this issue but he certainly has not been seen for some time.

Rita also seems to be in a lot of trouble as she is at the mercy of both Mojo and Spiral who are basically torturing her. I’m not so convinced that it is not just to make her talk but also to have some fun. Mojo is hell-bent on making sure that the human like slaves that he owns don’t learn about Earth because then they would think that they are real (despite the fact that they’re created). It could definitely lead to a collapse in the regime that seems to hold his dimension together.

It also seems that Longshot has picked up his first true ally from his own dimension in the form of Quark. He looks much like a humanoid ram but he does seem to be Longshot’s friend.
    I can understand why Longshot abandoned him during his fight with Gog, Longshot was really confused and the fact that he had been lied to made him very distrustful towards anyone who called him friend. He also seems to have the same luck powers as Longshot and he also seems to understand them a lot better than Longshot himself. Could have a teacher student thing going there.

The kids who took part in this issue seemed to have lost faith in Longshot because his indecisions make him seem to be less of a hero in their eyes. I do falter the child who pulled out the gun but since his father is a gun enthusiast we can somewhat understand why he thought that it was necessary. It’s just a good job that he pulled it on Gog rather than someone else since I feel that something much more terrible might have happened. I think you know what I mean.

As of yet this series hasn’t had much to do with the X-Men. The only thing that links the two series together is that Spiral is a member of Freedom Force. I’m guessing that it means this series is taking place before the current events of the Uncanny X-Men but we will soon learn how the series ties into this one.

In conclusion I’m giving the issue a 7 out of 10. It was a little hard to understand at times but I got the basic jig.

Next Issue
    Dazzler (Volume 1) #41
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Life Finds A Way
    God Loves Man Kills
    What Is Thy Bidding My Master
    Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken
    Till All Are One

Whew… So much to comment. No wonder that you think this issue it’s a bit hard: there’s a lot of information and it enters already the ‘struggle against evil’ superhero scheme, which I think it’s not the true spirit of this series (previous issues dealt with other subjects and the storytelling was in accordance with them, IMHO).

Adams’ art is in its best: much clearer, with best composition (strong manga influence) and a style of his own (later, Image people will repeat all of his tics –and none of his gifts). At the same time, Longshot is becoming increasingly and almost insultingly handsome.

Although the more conventional development of this issue, there are still unusual aspects in it. Starting with the protagonist being treated as a coward and abandoning the fight –and the children! (keep in mind that Gog is not able to kill Longshot, either, in spite he could have done it easily –these two are cursed to live along, indeed).

So the metaphysical problem is introduced step by step. Longshot’s struggle is always between the desire of know who is he and the ascertainment that the closer he is to the truth, the more he loses himself –or who he thought he was (in a Buddhist notion: affections, science, history, interventions, are just hindrance in the way to liberation). In his desperation, Longshot says he doesn’t want memories anymore, but being a man without them instead. “That's the way Rita liked me”. This panel (fetal position, back to the –artificial- uterus) summarizes quite well the personal (and never-ending) question of the character.

Plus, there’s a scene I always liked and I think it’s a pity that never gave cause to a subsequent development. I’m referring to this sign of compulsive hoarding disorder:

It’s just a way to introduce Arize, but it would be interesting to see Longshot suffering this someway sick compulsion, so far of his unconcerned nature, maybe a symptom of all the horrors hidden in his repeatedly abused mind…and that we all use to forget.

TO BE CONTINUED…
    Last edited by Ricochet Rita; 10-30-2017 at 05:03 AM.

[CONTINUING LONGSHOT #5]

And then Arize... These pages in the early Mojoverse -all paint in yellow, orange and fucsia as a perpetual dusk- are probably the most beautiful of the entire series. Oh and how I wished someday Nocenti and Adams told us more about this land!

Here Longshot’s hair is shorter than usual; we may deduce that this scene passes shortly after he was mindwiped and headshaved, when he was captured because of the failure of the (first?) rebellion of the slaves, as it was explained in the fourth issue.

So this could be the sequence of the story of his life:

1. He was created as a warrior (but he showed some rebellious impulse).
    2. He worked as a screen star, but finally he let the insurrection go.
    3. He joined other slaves in a mutiny (how and why it started?) against the spineless, but they lost the fight.
    4. He (only he? --as an example, or was he more dangerous than the others?) was retaliated with a brainwashing.
    5. Eventually, he recovered his consciousness and he felt one more time propelled by the urge of freedom –and the need of find his creator (who told him about it?).
    6. Then it is supposed that sequence 3-4 repeated, since when he came to Earth he was running away from a squad of slave hunters and his mind was blank again. The only unknown is: when did he go through the lucky star rite, during the first mutiny or during the second one?

But I was going to talk about Arize… I think this is one of the best Nocenti’s characters, and I must admit that since I’m sad he doesn’t appear as much as he deserves, I feel relief that he hasn’t been spoiled with stupid OOC writings.

He’s so much interesting firstly because he’s a spineless, but a spineless very different of his lazy greedy people because of his inquiring mind and his desire of significance. It’s kinda science or civilization vs. stagnant religion. Of course, when these ideas begin to seem dangerous for the statu quo, he’s booted out of the spineless world as a wacko, and then he channels his frustration living like a flippant hermit (if such a being may exist) and making the strangest inventions (oh those delightful mechanical fairies!).

All in Arize is hybrid: his physique (a spineless who has put himself prosthesis to be like a human), his personality (half-mystic, half-philosopher, half-slaphappy), his behavior (he claims to Longshot that such an exquisite creature as him couldn’t be imagined, and straight away he grabs him as if he were a puppet and says that he’s one of his creations). Although his huge knowledge and experience, he doesn’t take himself seriously: he’s got some crazy ‘Henson’ quality which I find totally irresistible.

Longshot, however, is overwhelmed by Arize’s presence. The issue of the creation is here very important, and it’s got obvious Christian resonance: the creator, the father, puts miraculous gifts in his son (the power, through laying hands, of reading the story of objects and beings –i.e., knowing their souls) and send him to Earth with the goal of saving the humankind (i.e., a race of slaves who need to find out that they are free and real and don’t belong to anybody).

I would carry on for pages, but… Too bad that I begin now my ‘unplugged’ holidays and I won’t post till September, so I probably miss the comment in time of Longshot #6 (the last one!).

So long! Be lucky!
    Last edited by Ricochet Rita; 10-30-2017 at 05:05 AM.

Issue Information
    Title- Longshot (Volume 1) #6
    Release Date- February 1986
    Writer- Ann Nocenti
    Artist- Art Adams

Major Notes
    Double sized final issue. Features Doctor Strange

Brief Summary

A Snake Coils…

Mojo and Spiral are flying over Ricochet Rita’s house after they have dropped her off. They comment on how she is frozen in a state of fear. She is constantly screaming but there is no sound. As they fly towards the nearby town all living things in their path dies, Mojo is determined to conquer Earth and is willing to forget about Longshot. He wishes to be worshiped and as they arrive at a town Spiral makes them invisible so that they can walk amongst the people. They see a few people on their way to church and Mojo is repulsed by humans, Spiral doesn’t like to be treated as if she is owned but Mojo reminds her that she is. There is even a cat nearby that hisses at Mojo but he picks it up and its life energy is drained. Spiral even throws an old woman to one side.
    They arrive in front of a church and Mojo decides that it is the best place to set up his royal court. He admits that there needs to be a few changes and uses his chair to change the minds of the people and they become his slaves. Instantly they begin to rebuild the church and Mojo seems to be happy with what is going on and he knows that he will soon rule the world.

In the home of Rita she is being hung by her arms and she is still screaming with a blank stare. It is then that Longshot arrives and sees her. He tries to speak to her but she is unresponsive. He fears that her mind has been wiped and when he cuts her down he sees that she has been frozen in the position. He knows that she is still alive and wishes to heal her. He goes to her dog but finds him lying on the ground and his leg has been put on upside down. He knows that something is very wrong and as he touches her face he reads her memories. He sees what Mojo did to her and how he left her in this state because she couldn’t lead them to Longshot. This makes Longshot very angry and at that moment Quark and Doctor Strange enter. Quark knows that this is Mojo’s work and it makes him lose faith. Doctor Strange goes to Rita and examines her, he intends to take her back to the Sanctum Sanctorum to protect her while they search for Mojo. Longshot demands that he heals her and although he doesn’t think that it is possible he still agrees. They notice something on the TV but they can’t make it out. Longshot and Quark then leave so that they can confront Mojo although Doctor Strange doesn’t know what will happen.

The pair make their way towards where Mojo is located and a couple of children notice Quark’s horns even though he is wearing a hat. Quark is being negative again but as they’re walking they see a news report on the TV about the church goers building a tower for Mojo. They are still following Mojo’s trail and Quark is continuing to be negative while Longshot tries to stay positive. Eventually a runner runs into Quark and when he apologies the runner sees Quark’s face and runs in terror.

They eventually run into a field and Longshot is still trying to make sense of his origins. The trees around them are dead and there are some cows nearby. Quarks stops since he feels that their plight is hopeless. Longshot goes to him and tries to convince him that they will win through pure motives. Quark has still lost faith and feels like they’re being set up. They do continue on a little further until Quark sees some sheep in the field. The rams look just like him and he realises that he was moulded after an animal. He is depressed once again but suddenly Mojo appears above them. He seems happy to have found them as he intends to destroy them. When he mentions Rita this enrages Longshot who lunges at him, Spiral tries to stop him but he is able to get passed her and goes to stab Mojo. Longshot cannot bring himself to kill him and instead punches Mojo causing the tyrant to lose a tooth. Mojo commands Spiral to teleport him away and she does while Longshot is confused. There is a short discussion between Longshot and Quark as they feel that they have failed. Quark doesn’t trust their luck powers but Longshot still thinks that they should push on and they also decide to contact Doctor Strange.

Longshot and Quark eventually come to a payphone and between them they are able to make a collect call to the Sanctum Sanctorum. He is tending to Rita who actually shows good signs and he has even been able to revive her parrot. He picks up the phone and Longshot tells him that Mojo is at the tower that is being constructed. They figure that he is temporarily weakened after enslaving so many people and they might have a good chance of destroying him. It is at that point that Rita wakes up and she hears Longshot’s voice. She receives the phone and he asks for her help. She cries and Doctor Strange takes the phone, he informs Longshot that she will be fine but time is of the essence.

At the tower Mojo commands that his face be multiplied and that the tower needs to be higher. One slave even collapses from exhaustion and Mojo commands the slaves to worship him which they do. Spiral is a little sarcastic over the whole situation but Mojo becomes enraged when his face is carved into stone. He destroys the sculptures and the people responsible. He then notices the sunset and asks if he owns that as well. When he thinks that he does he commands Spiral to bring it closer as he goes to the top of his tower.

From a roof not far from the tower Longshot and Quark prepare their attack by making bombs using petrol and glass bottles. They have a catapult and as usual Quark is negative while Longshot remains positive. Quark also believes that many of the slaves will be killed in the attack but Longshot thinks otherwise. He is even refusing to kill Mojo, only threaten him enough to go back to his own dimension. Longshot then goes towards the tower itself and tells Quark to unleash the catapults when he sees him flying. Quark still sees this as a bleak situation and no matter which way it goes he thinks that he’ll die.

Longshot makes his way to the tower but on the way he sees a horse and it sets off a memory. In the past Longshot is walking with Arize, they talk about the slaves and how Arize had once been short and how he created these artificial legs to make himself taller. In his mind he is still short and he turns it into a message about how slaves should not be slaves and must rebel. They eventually come to a robotic horse which Arize gives to Longshot so that he can help the slaves. Longshot snaps back to the present and he thinks about those who are still slaves. He wishes to bring the slaves here and he even thinks that Mojo deserves to die.

At the top of the tower Mojo wishes to be as close to the sun as possible but Spiral gives him a few sarcastic remarks. They then notice Longshot flying above on glider, Mojo believes that Longshot is trying to steal the sun. It is at that moment that Longshot drops his bombs and Quark unleashes his from a distance. To try and protect themselves both Mojo and Spiral go down to the ground while a woman hides. Spiral teleports away so that she can attack Quark. Mojo is alone but he isn’t afraid of Longshot as he hears him coming from the air. Longshot lands a kick on Mojo which causes the villain some harm.

Spiral teleports behind Quark who is on the roof and just as she goes to chop off his head Quark teleports away and reappears right next to Longshot. Spiral also appears there and strikes Longshot, her hatred for him causes her to try and slice him but he is able to block the strike. He is confused about why she hates him but he is struck from behind by Mojo. He then fires a beam of energy at Longshot and Quark that seemingly defeats them both. Before final strike can be struck Rita shoots Spiral in the arm. She lands on the ground with Doctor Strange, he unleashes a magic attack which Mojo is able to block but it gives Rita and Longshot a moment alone. They are happy to see one another but Doctor Strange informs them that if Mojo remains the planet will be destroyed.

Longshot begins to distract Mojo as Doctor Strange opens a portal behind him. Longshot uses his words to taunt Mojo and when he is close enough he kicks Mojo into the portal. Mojo begs Spiral for assistance back home since he could end up nowhere. Spiral is under the watch of Rita but the six armed villainess throws dirt in Rita’s eyes and is able to escape. Longshot wants to go in the portal as well so that he can free his people. Rita wants to join him and be proof to the slaves of a better world. She knows the risks but they happily go in together along with Quark.
    When the portal closes Doctor Strange is by himself and he sees that the slaves here are returning to normal. Despite everything he thinks that the damage can be repaired. He speaks about the planet and how the natural order would have been destroyed by Mojo. The final image is of Longshot, Rita and Quark.
    Life Finds A Way
    God Loves Man Kills
    Till All Are One

My Thoughts

And now we come to the sixth and final issue of Longshot which was an extremely enjoyable series. Ann Nocenti and Art Adams have done a great job introducing this series and I wish that it had been an ongoing series rather than an LS. I believe there was going to be another LS or even an OGN about what happened immediately after this series but sadly it never materialised. In fact this is the last we see of Longshot until Uncanny X-Men Annual #10. Ricochet Rita will appear in the background of Uncanny X-Men Annual #12 and won’t have a major appearance until one of the Excalibur specials.

One thing I’m a little confused with is how Spiral went from being Mojo’s lackey to joining the Freedom Force. It was never made clear and I feel it might have been touched on in the LS that was never to be. Hopefully there’ll be some kind of explanation later on in the Uncanny X-Men series.

The overall story was quite good and at times Mojo was a little laughable. Some of his demands were too outlandish to be possible. Like trying to bring the sun closer, that is something that isn’t possible unfortunately. Maybe it is possible in his dimension or he might have just been throwing his weight around.

Spiral was also enjoyable to read in this issue as she was pretty badass but also seemed to talk down Mojo despite the fact that he owns her. I do like her character and the fact that she has six arms just makes her that much more dangerous in a fight. I was disappointed that she only used one sword since she could have used more. If you’re going to have extra arms then attacking with multiple weapons is a logical move. But still I can think of plenty of other careers for a six armed woman.

Doctor Strange was important to this issue as he was vital in the final battle and it was him who ultimately got rid of Mojo. Ok it was Longshot who kicked him into the portal but it was Doctor Strange that opened it in the first place so that Mojo could be sent through. He also helped revive Ricochet Rita which was a feat amongst itself. He didn’t seem to be a throw away character like we see sometimes with other guest stars in an issue and it was a great way to see him in action.

The series has been great overall and I have really enjoyed it from start to finish. Longshot is one of the few characters I know of to first appear in his own LS. You have other heroes such as Spider-Man and the Hulk who first appeared in their self-titled ongoing series but rarely have I heard of a titular LS character making their debut there.

In conclusion I’m giving the issue an 8 out of 10. It was enjoyable and I wish that it was an ongoing series.

Next Issue
    X-Factor (Volume 1) #1
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Life Finds A Way
    God Loves Man Kills
    Till All Are One

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rita View Post
    I think it was stated for the first time in the Limited Series 'X-Men vs. Fantastic Four' (1987).

It's adorable how spontaneously he keeps sitting on Rogue's shoulders .
    Love that panel where he leaps upwards, backflips and lands. Way to go Longshot!

And it seems he hadn't any trouble at all doing it. Gosh...

BANNED

Cool Multiple Longshots!!!

Another panel with Longshot having no trouble executing an acrobatic feat!

Just look at these animation tests based on the LS. I feel dizzy... *_*

http://3lix13.deviantart.com/art/Lon...s-01-373604135

During my holidays, since I was rummaging in every comic store or flea market I met, I found -at last!- the old USA TPB, so now I can scan and post about the original pages. YAY!!! I should think soon about my comments on issue #6!

Meanwhile, I'm keeping this scene:

Is it a beautiful manifesto in favor of (functional, sexual, cultural, mental...) diversity, yes or yes?
    Last edited by Ricochet Rita; 10-02-2017 at 03:31 AM.

We Longshot lovers are on a hot streak: Miles, from the popular blog Jay and Miles X-Plain the X-Men, is a huge fan himself (he dares to say Longshot is his favorite X-Man!). Therefore, they've allocated a whole very interesting post and podcast to the character and his original LS, Of Mullets and Miracles, with its own visual companion.

Plus, Rachel and Miles have recently taken part in a round table at Rose City Comic Con with a guest of honor: ANN NOCENTI! You can listen to our incorrigible absolutely great grrrrrrl-lady at the podcast and see her at the photo gallery.

Enjoy yourself!
    Last edited by Ricochet Rita; 10-02-2017 at 03:51 AM.

Incredible Member

For Uncanny X-men 600 one of the variant covers is the Outback Era X-men by Oliver Copiel. Longshot is on the cover albeit a little on the small side.

I'm writing an article for Longshot's anniversary and wondering if anyone can help with the following screen captures?
    X-Factor Annual #7 - pages/ panels that reveal Ricochet Rita became Spiral;
    Longshot #4 pages introducing Darla, Alfi and Butch;
    Longshot #5 where Gog refers to Longshot having a wife and children;
    New Mutants Annual #2 showing Mojo ageing Darla, Alfi and Butch and then giving/ showing Darla jubilee powers, Butch's telepathy and Alfi's weapon accuracy;
    Pages/ panels from the Longshot mini that hint at Spiral being aware of her past with Longshot (and his complete cluelessness);
    Pages/ panels where Mojo makes fun of Spiral's feelings for Longshot;
    Pages/ panels of Longshot realising something had been going on between them in the past;
    Pages/ panels referring to Longshot leading the rebellion against Mojo/ Spineless ones;
    Pages/ panels from Longshot mini referring/ showing Mojo's capture of Spiral and his forcing Arize to genetically modify her into his slave; and
    Pages/ panels from Longshot mini of Darla, Butch and Alfi with their parents.