Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Welcome, new posters!

nadler, you are already receiving my screen captures by PM.

petrefax (I love your nick: Sandman rules!), I'm a bit sad that Longshot is the smallest figure in the cover, but in the other hand it's a full-length one, so well...

It seems like Longshot is taking part in X-Tinction Agenda...

...and in Inferno.

I've got to admit I'm not reading either of them. Di Giandomenico (pics 1-3) is a great dynamical artist, although I find a bit odd that Longshot's showing such a serious expression. I like the swords, but the new sky-blue! clothes are pretty awful. And that haircut --for Mojo's sake, his old mullet might be ridiculous, but at least it was funny. Oh, by the way...OUT with that designer stubble. NOW.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rita View Post
    I've got to admit I'm not reading either of them. Di Giandomenico (pics 1-3) is a great dynamical artist, although I find a bit odd that Longshot's showing such a serious expression. I like the swords, but the new sky-blue! clothes are pretty awful. And that haircut --for Mojo's sake, his old mullet might be ridiculous, but at least it was funny. Oh, by the way...OUT with that designer stubble. NOW.
    The use of swords are to me more Spiral aka Ricochet Rita's style.
    I lean more to Longshot being a ninja with throwing stars.
    Agreed about the sky-blue clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    I lean more to Longshot being a ninja with throwing stars.
    Agree. The more unarmed Longshot is, the more IC he's, IMHO. I think he's more the defensive type that the offensive type --that is, he get rid of attacks or get his goals causing minor damage (except for his usual slip-ups, LOL).

That being said, he was always bound to bladed weapons (in his former suit he wore a long knife on his thigh, a dagger on his boot and little razors on his cartridge belt), so swords or katana might be OK to me as well as ninja throwing stars. In fact, through the original LS -if it was needed- Longshot proved to be more aggresive and according to his warrior background than he was later: he tried to stab Gog in #5...

...and Mojo in #6. Although it's true he finally wasn't able to kill in cold blood neither of them: at last, pushed by Doc Strange, he made Gog explode with one of his razor blades, but that was an extreme situation and he said he felt 'empty' after doing it.

Anyway, what I would find unacceptable would be seeing a firearm on his hands. He did it in UXM #12, and once is enough for me.

Incredible Member

Welcome, new posters!

nadler, you are already receiving my screen captures by PM.

petrefax (I love your nick: Sandman rules!), I'm a bit sad that Longshot is the smallest figure in the cover, but in the other hand it's a full-length one, so well...

It seems like Longshot is taking part in X-Tinction Agenda...
    Ha thanks Rita. Not many people recognize the reference but truth be told I took the name because it's a handle nobody uses.

As far as Inferno concerned there is a reason why Longshot is wearing the blue and gray uniform in the Limbo domain on Battleworld. In this region the Xmen failed in the original Inferno event and Illyana Rasputin takes over Manhattan while the Xmen protect their territory by holding what little they have at bay from Illyana Rasputin and Madelyne Pryor. Scott Summers as the Baron of limbo has the Xmen patrol their territory to keep demons out and keep the peace among their side so his Xmen are a security force and so they are essentially the police of Limbo and all the xmen wear blue police uniforms.

Yeah as much I liked Javier Garron's stylized cartoonish art mostly because of his wonderfully expressive faces but he did put some rather odd artistic choices like Goblin Prince Havok looking like 90's Aquaman.

Why, thanks for the explanation, petrefax --truth is, I'm quite away from Marvel breaking. If this ugly uniform is just a temporary thing, it's OK (I'm trembling at the thought of what's next, though).

But regarding the beardy, no way! Longshot is smooth, period. I allowed the hair in his chest in "Longshot saves the MU" as a joke, just because I found terrifically funny all the gay-friendly touch of the mini.

That's the best look I've ever seen Longshot have. I also like the sticks on his back. Makes sense he'd use something like that...

Incredible Member

Why, thanks for the explanation, petrefax --truth is, I'm quite away from Marvel breaking. If this ugly uniform is just a temporary thing, it's OK (I'm trembling at the thought of what's next, though).

But regarding the beardy, no way! Longshot is smooth, period. I allowed the hair in his chest in "Longshot saves the MU" as a joke, just because I found terrifically funny all the gay-friendly touch of the mini.
    I don't imagine anything much sticking from Inferno in the Main marvel universe or much of the secret wars battleworld books.

Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dwerK View Post
    That's the best look I've ever seen Longshot have. I also like the sticks on his back. Makes sense he'd use something like that...
    OK, the black gloves are fine. And probably the whole outfit would've got a better look in a darker colour (olive green, for example). But I'm not much into chest armour, baggy trousers nor big boots. Actually, although I like Longshot's classic costume (Adams' one), I think it's quite heavy and stifling for such a light body as his. It always makes me feel heated, LOL.
    Last edited by Ricochet Rita; 10-07-2015 at 03:54 AM.

Ricochet Rita thought you might enjoy my blog post on the origin of Longshot's family.

If you're a Claremont fan feel free to check out the rest of the site

Great spec work, nadler! I've already post my impression at your blog, hope it wasn't too large --when I get carried away I'm terrible ;P .

And in the end, Longshot's existence could be summarized this way:

Pretty tragic. (Did somebody said "lucky"?).

Quote Originally Posted by a0040pc View Post
    Issue Information
    Title- Longshot (Volume 1) #6
    Release Date- February 1986
    Writer- Ann Nocenti
    Artist- Art Adams

A Snake Coils…
    Two months have passed, but better late than never ;P .

I believe there was going to be another LS or even an OGN about what happened immediately after this series but sadly it never materialised.
    You're right. But Nocenti was very busy with her editorial work, and Adams had become a star and he was required everywhere, so they decided to wait. They seemed to be available again in September 1989, and this is the reason why Longshot left the X-men so brusquely in UXM #248, but their plans were thwarted one more time. In fact, Nocenti wrote a ton draft and Adams sketched a lot, too, but this stuff has never come out. I recently e-mailed Annie and I tried to make her talk, but it's all worthless :-/ .

One thing I’m a little confused with is how Spiral went from being Mojo’s lackey to joining the Freedom Force. It was never made clear and I feel it might have been touched on in the LS that was never to be. Hopefully there’ll be some kind of explanation later on in the Uncanny X-Men series.
    You have already realized that there was .

I shall start the review by reminding, as I already explained, what an atrocious character Mojo is. Most of readers recall him as a bizarre ridiculous blob (which he is), because later writers emphasized his "cathodic" side.

But Mojo is a monster. I mean, not because of his appearance neither his alien nature. His wickedness is so pure that he's not even aware he's wicked. Living beings (animals, plants, humans) get rotten at his sole presence or at his touch. And if he wanted something from someone, he would do as harm as necessary and even more to get it.

The scenes in Rita's home are simply hideous, thanks in large part to Adams' suggestive work. Just the sick idea of unnaturally twisting poor Saxophone's head is aberrant (Ann, what did you smoke?), and I'm sincerely surprised that Marvel published such a panel, worthy of an issue of Moore, Totleben & Bissette 'The Swamp Thing' (narrowly contemporary, BTW).

This distressing page reminds me a lot of another famous one...

...which was published in 1988!

The mad villain brutally tortures a hero's loved one and then he exhibits her in order to shake this hero, all narrated through curiously similar scenes. Accept it, comic critics: 'Longshot' beat 'The Killing Joke' two years before.

(P.S.: I find lovely the way Longshot often calls Rita just "Ricochet". Clearly, there's no difference between both names for him).

TO BE CONTINUED...
    Last edited by Ricochet Rita; 10-22-2015 at 03:17 AM.

BANNED

Exclamation 'Longshot' beat 'The Killing Joke' two years before

Wow! I had no idea! Thank you very much for making me aware of that fact

Well, I'm not stating at all that Alan Moore plagiarized Nocenti --neither that he even read her work. But the truth is: this explicit and insane torture scene and plot in a superhero comic-book (not in another kind of comic, that's a different story) were seen for the first time in Longshot, not in Batman.