Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default How many events is too many events?

So after a 2 year hiatus I'm looking to start reading comics again. I live a 15 minute bus ride from the local comic book store. However I'm looking at the solicits for October/November and everything seems to be event driven at the moment. We've got:
    • AXIS happening
    • Spider-Verse
    • Countdown to... errr.. I mean Time Runs Out

In November we've also got some new series starting such as Captain America & the Mighty Avengers, but they're tie-ins to the events (here's hoping they relaunch in January with a new jumping on board point).

At this stage I'm hoping some of the new series relaunch in January or at least offer a new jumping on point so I can check them out. As for October, DC's books are much more accessible at this point as their events seem to be restricted to their weekly books. I've found 1 Marvel book that sounds interesting and 3 DC books that are at the start of a new arc and so a new jumping on point.

Have other people found things a bit event heavy of late? Are people liking the number of events? Are they finding them to be a barrier to checking out new comics?

There could never be too many quality runs.... if that ever happens
    "At my core I was never a hero, I was a hunter"

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I'm long since burned out on so-called "events" and stopped bothering with them years ago. Back when I paid attention to that sort of thing, it used to be "events" happened rather infrequently, say like once a year or so, then the frequency began shrinking and shrinking, practically to the point where they're following on the heels of each other today. I understand that "events" are the company's bread and butter, attracting the most attention, not to mention the dollars of fans, especially that segment I call "Short Attention Span Fanboys" that never gets enough of them, but what I dislike most about it all is the relentless hype (THE EVENT THAT WILL CHANGE THE MARVEL UNIVERSE FOREVER! At least until the next event comes along that will change the Marvel Universe forever, and so on and so on and so on) that makes me shake my head from how ridiculous it is. I know I'm in the minority here and will probably get slammed by other posters for my comments, but yeah, I'm of the opinion that there's just too many "events" today, and, sadly, it's not about to change, if anything, it's bound to get worse.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 09-23-2014 at 02:07 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLynch View Post
    As for October, DC's books are much more accessible at this point as their events seem to be restricted to their weekly books. I've found 1 Marvel book that sounds interesting and 3 DC books that are at the start of a new arc and so a new jumping on point.
    DC is not that accesible if you count crossovers, which are even worse tan events.

BANNED

This has been going on since like what ? House of M ? Event after event after event. This is marvel's strategy.

Depends if it's great quality or not... it's the average to below average stuff that there's way too much of.

I'll take an infinite amount of Infinity's, but there's way too much of Original Sin, Avengers vs X-Men, and Age of Ultrons, etc.

Side note: I wish the next Avengers movie wasn't Age of Ultron, i know Whedon will make it great but still... Whedon should be on some Hickman stuff not pulling out a miracle and making AoU interesting.
    Last edited by SXVA; 09-23-2014 at 02:24 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by fmvgamer View Post
    This has been going on since like what ? House of M ? Event after event after event. This is marvel's strategy.
    Has it ever been this bad though? We've had:
    2004: Avengers Disassembled
    2005: House of M
    2006: Annihilation, Civil War
    2007: World War Hulk, Annihilation: Conquest, Messiah Complex
    2008: Secret Invasion
    2009: War of Kings, Messiah War, Utopia, Necrosha, Fall of the Hulks
    2010: Siege, Realm of Kings, Second Coming, Thanos Imperative, World War Hulks, Curse of the Mutants, Shadowland, Chaos War
    2011: Age of X, Fear Itself, Schism, Spider-Island
    2012: Dying Wish, Avengers vs X-Men
    2013: Age of Ultron, Infinity, Battle of the Atom
    2014: Trial of Jean Grey, Goblin Nation, Revolutionary War, Original Sin, Death of Wolverine, Axis, Spider-Verse, Time Runs Out

So besides 2010 this is 2 to 4 times the number of events that we normally get.
    Last edited by JohnLynch; 09-23-2014 at 03:19 AM.

BANNED

The movie age of ultron is not based on the marvel event.

Quote Originally Posted by fmvgamer View Post
    The movie age of ultron is not based on the marvel event.
    It isn't? The initial premise seemed somewhat similar to the event in combination with the name, Ultron deciding to eradicate Humans, etc... That's great if so, however.

2010: Siege, Realm of Kings, Second Coming, Thanos Imperative, World War Hulks, Curse of the Mutants, Shadowland, Chaos War
    2014: Trial of Jean Grey, Goblin Nation, Revolutionary War, Original Sin, Death of Wolverine, Axis, Spider-Verse, Time Runs Out

a return to 2006 please..only 2 events that year yet they are probably the 2 most game changing events in recent marvel history.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SXVA View Post
    Side note: I wish the next Avengers movie wasn't Age of Ultron, i know Whedon will make it great but still... Whedon should be on some Hickman stuff not pulling out a miracle and making AoU interesting.
    Fear not, he's only using the same title. Otherwise they are unrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by SXVA View Post
    It isn't? The initial premise seemed somewhat similar to the event in combination with the name, Ultron deciding to eradicate Humans, etc... That's great if so, however.
    To be fair, that's what Ultron always does. It's why he's such a badass villain.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Fear not, he's only using the same title. Otherwise they are unrelated.

To be fair, that's what Ultron always does. It's why he's such a badass villain.
    Haha. Good point.

Admittedly i didn't look that deep into it, the initial plot i read + the title i just assumed it was the basis... but i'm glad to be wrong on that.

BANNED

Well in away there can only be too many events when those events stop making money/profit margins to make the company reconsider doing events. Until that happens they probably will keep on rolling out.

So to answer the question.....there hasn't been to many yet.

If we only count the really big ones (with tons of tie-ins), it only started increasing last year:

2006: Civil War
    2007: World War Hulk
    2009: None
    2010: Siege
    2011: Fear Itself
    2012: AvX
    2013: Age of Ultron, Infinity
    2014: Original Sin, Sixis

Expect more next year.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Yearly events are too much. Maybe every other year if they have to do them. Personally I have not bought a big event series since Secret Invasion and don't plan on buying any more. That crap series was what finally broke me on events when they litterly filled space for 5 issues in the middle of it. IT was absolute and complete filler with no real bearing on the main story and they could have crammed those 5 issues into 1 and it would not have effected the story one bit.