Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

The reactions here just show how deep this problem has become ingrained in this industry. So people who dare to not like the ridiculously oversexualized (and not particularly well-drawn) cover are "fascists" and "terrorists?" WOW, just wow. That shows just how the defenders of the cover have no actual legitimate argument. We cannot logically defend this, so lets just resort to insult/demeaning the people who disagree with us and insinuating that there's something wrong with them for NOT liking this cover.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    The reactions here just show how deep this problem has become ingrained in this industry. So people who dare to not like the ridiculously oversexualized (and not particularly well-drawn) cover are "fascists" and "terrorists?" WOW, just wow. That shows just how the defenders of the cover have no actual legitimate argument. We cannot logically defend this, so lets just resort to insult/demeaning the people who disagree with us and insinuating that there's something wrong with them for NOT liking this cover.
    Was this cover being sold to kids? No. Was it even a normal retail item? No
    It was a variant that was priced high enough no one but those who wanted to purchase it would.

Censorship is wrong. there are plenty of things I don't like that I have to accept in the spirit of free speech.

Just wait till Punisher is canceled because a group of people feel like it glorifies GUN VIOLENCE. or if Peta objects to animals being killed in a comic. Unfortunately this is just the beginning.

Sometimes I hate the internet...

That sucks for Milo Manara. I don't think it was that serious.

Incredible Member Jonah Weiland's Avatar

EVERYONE!

Let's keep it together and mature. Read the article and keep in mind the facts that we know. Keep the wild speculation to a minimum.

Personal attacks against anyone -- people who liked or disliked the Spider-Woman cover, employees of this site or any other, or ANY publisher -- are STRICTLY prohibited in the CBR community and will be met with an immediate banning.

You are more than welcome to be upset by this decision and to discuss it, but over reaction will be dealt with.
    Last edited by Jonah Weiland; 09-23-2014 at 11:30 AM.
    -- Jonah Weiland
    -- Just Another Comic Book Fan
    Tweets | Webs
    | 'grams

Mighty Member

The reactions here just show how deep this problem has become ingrained in this industry. So people who dare to not like the ridiculously oversexualized (and not particularly well-drawn) cover are "fascists" and "terrorists?" WOW, just wow.
    It's fine to not like it. It's quite another thing to want money taken out of an artist's pocket because it makes you queasy.

There's a big difference between not liking a piece of art and being outraged over its existence.
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcelsiorPrime View Post
    Check out these offending variants. We wont get to buy. As I said before it had less to do with the Marvel variant and more to with his adult artwork. had he not had that history there would have been less controversy.

I'm not usually a fan of Manara's art, but that Thor cover looks pretty good.

Well, this means nothing for Manara, he still is a very well respected artist in Europe. Maybe he never was the right artist to make superheroes.
    And is normal for USA, were boobs are censored but bullets killing people is normal.
    By the way, something must be done against this cover: Wolverine is NUDE!!
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Really? That's sad and pathetic, Art censored and caged under the false illusion of "progress".

This devolved age that thinks it's advanced is cute, and kind of funny. That's something at least...

"Life is far too important a thing to ever talk seriously about" --Red Reddington
    Last edited by SXVA; 09-23-2014 at 11:38 AM.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

That's a shame. Didn't Axel state in a recent A-I-C that they would continue working with Manara?

Manara will be fine, I would guess. This controversy probably increases his exposure a ton more than had there been no controversy. I will be aware of his work now, and previously I knew nothing about him.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ExcelsiorPrime View Post
    Check out these offending variants. We wont get to buy. As I said before it had less to do with the Marvel variant and more to with his adult artwork. had he not had that history there would have been less controversy.

Are you sure that was going to be his variant to the female Thor issue? I ask because, a few weeks ago, his cover got moved from Thor #1 to Thor #2, suggesting that maybe he just didn't have it done in time. So I'm thinking that now the reason for the cancellations is simply that he's behind schedule.

It may be as simple as that. *shrug*

I mean, we're a month after the controversy. I think the moment at which Marvel would maybe have cancelled these due to the Spider-Woman controversy has passed.

Unless the covers Manara turned in for these comics were particularly ass-obsessed or whatever.

If Marvel is cancelling these, at this late in the game, because of that thing from a month ago, then that is ridiculous.

But if Manara went out of his way to do something even more explicit or whatever, then that's also ridiculous.

But, again, we don't know anything at this point. Marvel cancells/"replaces" variant covers all the time, and they already pushed this Thor variant back anyway. So... I'm betting that this is just some innocuous thing and his variants will be resolicited for later issues, when he's actually done with them.

So people who dare to not like the ridiculously oversexualized (and not particularly well-drawn) cover are "fascists" and "terrorists?"
    Well, *I* didn't like the Spider-Woman cover -- I thought the butt was far too exaggerated -- but I actually do think that people calling for the guy's work to be banned are definitely intolerant, and they should be called out for it. In our current climate, where people are called "Nazis" for wanting to be taxed at a 30% rate rather than 34%, then absolutely if you are supporting censorship of art then you leave yourself totally open for the "fascist" label to be applied to you. In this climate, yeah. I disagree with the climate itself, in which all these labels are thrown around so brazenly, but it's pretty much a guarantee that people who would call for Manara's covers to be banned have themselves called people THEY disagree with "fascists" for similarly low-level crappy attitudes. The shoe is on the other foot now. Deal with it.

Because it's not like this is the first time bad, tacky artwork has existed.

Last edited by DarkBeast; 09-23-2014 at 11:41 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mahes View Post
    Worry not everyone. Land is still around!

I don't hold this against Axel since he has to maintain company policy until the higher ups decided what to do.
    No that's worse. I mean why Marvel had to go cancel a good artist and we keep the bad one in Land.

Extraordinary Member

We do not know who made the decision or why. I would find it strange that Marvel would cancel them at this time as a reaction to a (non)controversy that seems to have passed. Artists for variant covers have changed in the past for numerous reasons. I mean Siya Oum does not seem like some radical shift from Milo Manara.

Wonder how quickly that Manara variant is going to sell out and how much it will be going for on Ebay afterwards...