Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default The Most Memorable & Shocking Comic Book Deaths

With Wolverine's death coming next month, CBR rounds up the most impactful and surprising character deaths in comic book history.

Full article here.

All-New Member

No Adam Warlock?!? No Captain Marvel?!?

Captain Marvel deserves to be on the list, not because it was shocking but for the way he died. He didn't sacrifice himself to save a world or someone. He wasn't murdered by a villain. He died because of cancer.

And he's never really come back.

"Rot in hell, Max." Man, Blue Beetle was a true hero to the end.

All-New Member

This was a good list, I think. I only registered to say that I was hoping Jack Drake would make the list, since he felt like a unique death in that he wasn't even a hero but his death still ended up being shocking.

Article is still in my good graces for talking up Tim in the Jason Todd description, though.

Invincible Member

I dunno...I disagree on Prof X's death in AvX being memorable or shocking. Xavier had either "died" or been written out of the X-Men a few already in the past. And in AvX several characters were either written out of character or made to do something dumb. The whole thing was kinda a mess and Charles's death came off like just another narrative misstep in a series a missteps.

BANNED

Who were these fans that truly believed Peter Parker was going to stay dead? Never encountered a single one.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by troynos View Post
    Captain Marvel deserves to be on the list, not because it was shocking but for the way he died. He didn't sacrifice himself to save a world or someone. He wasn't murdered by a villain. He died because of cancer.

And he's never really come back.
    I agree. His story still feels moving and original compared to many other comics deaths.
    Last edited by ed2962; 09-23-2014 at 12:35 PM.

All-New Member

Obviously biased, but Guardian's death in Alpha Flight 12 qualifies as shocking and memorable to me.

His other half a dozen deaths...Not so much!

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Ah yes, Glenn's death... that was... bad and just played up for shock and to show why the new villain was "biggest and baddest" bad guy they faced yet. Not particularly well written like the rest of these ones... sort of (Sue Didny, Professor X, and Alexandra's death weren't exactly well written either).

Spectacular Member FN Spider-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I dunno...I disagree on Prof X's death in AvX being memorable or shocking. Xavier had either "died" or been written out of the X-Men a few already in the past. And in AvX several characters were either written out of character or made to do something dumb. The whole thing was kinda a mess and Charles's death came off like just another narrative misstep in a series a missteps.
    All I remember AvX for is it's the storyline that made Brubaker leave mainstream comics.

Quote Originally Posted by rauj13 View Post
    Who were these fans that truly believed Peter Parker was going to stay dead? Never encountered a single one.
    Agreed. I know I never believed for a second that Peter was dead and gone forever but I did begin to wonder exactly how he would come back, he had a movie to get to and all...

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Agreed, Xavier's death was not in the least shocking

All-New Member

the death of Eddie McDonough, Hornet, a former member of Slingers... the greatest off-panel death never told. He died while battling a brain-washed Wolverine during the "Enemy of the State" story. Years later it was revealed that he tried to contact his former allies for help, but no one came... so he took on Wolverine alone. All we got was a few panels of S.H.I.E.L.D. agents finding his corpse, with Elektra severing his head from his body so he could not return as an agent of the Hand.

All-New Member

Why is Peter Parker on this list twice...The fact that he has multiple deaths makes it by default less shocking. Gwen Stacy I 100% agree with...My winner with a bullet is by far Sue Dibny...put that comic down I was so shocked by what I was reading.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FN Spider-Man View Post
    Agreed. I know I never believed for a second that Peter was dead and gone forever but I did begin to wonder exactly how he would come back, he had a movie to get to and all...
    Yeah, the how and when of it had me curious, too. But never a single doubt. I still swear that Slott flat-out said he wasn't dead for good like right away, but I've never been able to find the interview again. :\

Quote Originally Posted by Kerwin42 View Post
    Why is Peter Parker on this list twice...The fact that he has multiple deaths makes it by default less shocking. Gwen Stacy I 100% agree with...My winner with a bullet is by far Sue Dibny...put that comic down I was so shocked by what I was reading.
    Because they weren't the same Peter Parker. It wasn't the same guy facing multiple deaths. Just two characters with the same name.