Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Okay, then how about the title of "respected coworker" or "valued teammate"? Its still weird for Kyle and Carol to be an item. Hell, I would rather that they created a new character if they wanted to give Carol a rebound. I can handle her entertaining a romance with another guy, but her and Kyle? But, as Sacred Knight pointed out, maybe that's the point.
    Again, why not? These things happen in real life.

Yes, but Carol has always been the main one. That's why I cited those examples outside of the comics, because those usually represent a franchise boiled down to their key characteristics. Hal Jordan is one of the main Green Lanterns and Carol Ferris is his main love interest.
    She sure as hell wasn't the most important girl during Englehart's run, nor Jones', nor Marz', nor for a good part of Johns'.

And, as I've said, many heroes have had multiple girlfriends/boyfriends, including even Superman. However, most of them also have their main love interests.
    Yeah, he had Lana Lang and... Lana Lang.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    According to Justin Jordan interviews, Kyle thinks Hal is, "kind of a dick," so I'm not so sure of this supposed brotherly relationship of theirs. I don't mind the Carol/Kyle relationship. Carol doesn't belong to Hal Jordan.
    Well then, Justin Jordan didn't read many Green Lantern comics. Kyle Rayner teamed up with Hal many times, even when he was dead and came to Hal's side even when the entire Corps was still skeptical of him.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 04-30-2014 at 07:55 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Again, why not? These things happen in real life.
    Yeah, and its still weird. At least in my experience.

She sure as hell wasn't the most important girl during Englehart's run, nor Jones', nor Marz', nor for a good part of Johns'.
    Dude, she totally was for Johns'. Even with Cowgirl, you know Johns was planting the seeds for Hal and Carol to end up back together.

And Marz' run basically started off with Emerald Twilight, in which he made Hal crazy and turned everything on its head, and then he dove straight into introducing Kyle.

Dude, you can spin this in however many ways you want, but the facts are always gonna be that yes, Carol has, in most cases, been Hal's main love interest.

Yeah, he had Lana Lang and... Lana Lang.
    And Lori Lemaris and Wonder Woman and there were also several others in the Silver Age.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 04-30-2014 at 07:51 PM.

Always Rakzo

Yeah, and its still weird. At least in my experience.
    Not in mine.

Dude, she totally was for Johns'. Even with Cowgirl, you know Johns was planting the seeds for Hal and Carol to end up back together.
    Still, she wasn't the most important girl for a good part.

And Marz' run basically started off with Emerald Twilight, in which he made Hal crazy and turned everything on its head, and then he dove straight into introducing Kyle.
    Except that when Marz (and any author from that era) was writing Hal they barely even mentioned Carol.

Hell, you know who was the person who Hal visited the most during those years?

Ollie.

And Lori Lemaris and Wonder Woman and there were also several others in the Silver Age.
    Wonder Woman only recently and Lori Lemaris, yeah I forgot about her.

Still, most Silver Age stories were focused in mostly just two love interests for Superman: Lois and Lana.

Extraordinary Member

Still, she wasn't the most important girl for a good part.

Except that when Marz (and any author from that era) was writing Hal they barely even mentioned Carol.

Hell, you know who was the person who Hal visited the most during those years?

Ollie.
    In most cases, though, she has been. There's no erasing that fact.

Wonder Woman only recently and Lori Lemaris, yeah I forgot about her.

Still, most Silver Age stories were focused in mostly just two love interests for Superman: Lois and Lana.
    They've toyed with the Superman/Wonder Woman relationship before:

Well then, Justin Jordan didn't read many Green Lantern comics. Kyle Rayner teamed up with Hal many times, even when he was dead and came to Hal's side even when the entire Corps was still skeptical of him.
    But that was a while back, wasn't it? John Stewart also gave high respects to Hal Jordan during Rebirth as well. And apparently John punches Hal Jordan recently in a Corps issue. Hal Jordan has been corrected by Kyle, Carol, John, Kilowog and others during Lights Out! on his planning strategy. Jordan's character sort of changed when the new creative team came aboard. So it's not necessarily bad writing if other lanterns are currently sharing some differences towards Hal's decisions.

Spectacular Member

Jordan has done a pretty good job at building the relationship, they have a lot of chemistry now.
    I see none.

Spectacular Member

Pretty ignorant and incorrect statement coming from you Razko.

Englehart booted Carol off because he wanted to push an Arisia relationship, Jones was following the whole Star Sapphire thing and Carol was reintroduced halfway the book, where she did become the basically become the main girl (they even dealt with the predator thing) and appeared in just about every issue.

Marz only used Carol in three issues, and even then in all three she was basically made out to be an important part of Hal's life.
    Last edited by Damos40; 04-30-2014 at 08:17 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    But that was a while back, wasn't it? John Stewart also gave high respects to Hal Jordan during Rebirth as well. And apparently John punches Hal Jordan recently in a Corps issue. Hal Jordan has been corrected by Kyle, Carol, John, Kilowog and others during Lights Out! on his planning strategy. Jordan's character sort of changed when the new creative team came aboard. So it's not necessarily bad writing if other lanterns are currently sharing some differences towards Hal's decisions.
    Yeah, when the new creative teams came aboard. Its not bad writing all around, but I do lament the way that they've dialed back Hal's character, regardless of the fact that he's been shown multiple times to be a competent leader.

Don't get me wrong, I love what Jordan's done with New Guardians. He's included such great sic-fi concepts and I do think he's doing a decent job at writing Kyle. I do think, however, that he, along with the rest of the current regime on the GL comics, have systematically dialed back some crucial developments that were made under Johns' run, including the Hal/Carol relationship.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 04-30-2014 at 08:22 PM.

I can still see the dislike from a personal preference perspective, but at the very least I don't think this is anywhere near, say, Batman/WW level of contrivance. I mean they worked together on some big missions, got close, and Carol developed some feelings over time. Seems reasonable enough to me. Kyle's complete obliviousness until just now is probably the only goofy part of the development, imo.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I can still see the dislike from a personal preference perspective, but at the very least I don't think this is anywhere near, say, Batman/WW level of contrivance. I mean they worked together on some big missions, got close, and Carol developed some feelings over time. Seems reasonable enough to me. Kyle's complete obliviousness until just now is probably the only goofy part of the development, imo.
    Yeah, but it feels so forced. It's like Carol fell in love with Kyle overnight.

Has she said yet that she's flat out in love? I don't know if she's there yet, correct me if I'm wrong of course.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Has she said yet that she's flat out in love? I don't know if she's there yet, correct me if I'm wrong of course.
    Well considering the fact she was the one who tried to lock the lips on him and not vice versa I'd say that's a pretty big hint that the answer is probably yes.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Damos40 View Post
    Yeah, but it feels so forced. It's like Carol fell in love with Kyle overnight.
    And yet people have managed to complain about it for nearly a year now. Amazing!

Well all that really says is that she has romantic feelings for him. I differentiate between that and being in love. Unless you subscribe to "love at first sight" there's usually some stages in between there.