Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Always Rakzo

Default Green Lantern: New Guardians Annual #2 Spoilers

It wasn't pretty obvious at first but there has been always a hint about how the ending of that Annual affected Kyle and we finally see the ramifications of such event for him. The Source Wall obviously altered his powers not only in a positive way but also in a negative one and it's great to see how it was manifested in this plot. I have more thoughts.

Excellent Annual and creates the next stage of development for Kyle Rayner. What are you waiting for? Go check it out!

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Not usually a fan of Annuals but this was very enjoyable.

Huh, guess I do need to catch up on this book.

Spectacular Member

Still can't buy Carol and Kyle. Makes no sense.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by twobit View Post
    Jordan has done a pretty good job at building the relationship, they have a lot of chemistry now.

Bored with Post Life Wonder_Straw's Avatar

I really enjoyed this the art was great between all on duty and I am interested to see what happens next.

Quote Originally Posted by twobit View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Jordan has done a pretty good job at building the relationship, they have a lot of chemistry now.
    As someone who started comics when the New 52 I have to say I don't dislike them together. But then again I am pretty new to comics so I don't have a big historic love of Carol and Hal together to sway my opinion.
    “Burn? Smite? Punish? Why is your god so intolerant? So jealous? Why must there be only one god? Why is there not room for many?”
    ― Krampus, the Yule Lord

Astonishing Member

Good annual, nice to have what looks like a Kyle Rogue rather than a Green Lanternverse one. And I live that Kyle has now thoroughly claimed Fighting Space Sharks as a thing that he does.

The art was wierd in places, though - and not always in the bits that were meant to be!

Extraordinary Member

I’m sorry, Rakzo, but I’m with twobit on this one. It DOES make no sense, especially in the larger context coming off of the Johns run. These are two characters that have known each other for years, and they’re just now “realizing” an attraction? The whole thing just makes Carol look fickle. She goes from giving all she can to save Hal and get him back to….kissing a guy who is pretty much like his little brother. Also, it just seems wrong. Not to mention that it makes Kyle look bad. All the while that Hal is giving speeches in his honor and is so distraught over losing him, Kyle is frenching his ex? Yeah, here’s an idea. Why doesn't Jordan just have Kyle literally stab Hal in the back?

Plus, you know that at some point down the road, they’re going to drop it and put Carol and Hal back together. They’ll probably bill this whole thing as Carol on a rebound or like Hal's relationship with Cowgirl. You know it. That romance has been an integral part of the GL mythology for 50+ years. Hal once even retired from the Corps to be with Carol. So, why not just let them be together? I’ll tell you why. Because Venditti and co. looked at the possibility of Hal and Carol actually being happy and said “Nah. Everything’s more interesting when there’s….EMOTIONAL TENSION!!!”
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 04-30-2014 at 06:27 PM.

That's kinda the whole point though. Obviously there's intended drama with Hal being so distraught over losing Kyle, only to find out he's alive and to find out that he and Carol are an item. I'm positive that whirlwind of emotions is exactly what Jordan is going for when it'll come to this triangle.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    I’m sorry, Rakzo, but I’m with twobit on this one. It DOES make no sense, especially in the larger context coming off of the Johns run. These are two characters that have known each other for years, and they’re just now “realizing” an attraction? The whole thing just makes Carol look fickle. She goes from giving all she can to save Hal and get him back to….kissing a guy who is pretty much like his little brother. Also, it just seems wrong. Not to mention that it makes Kyle look bad. All the while that Hal is giving speeches in his honor and is so distraught over losing him, Kyle is frenching his ex? Yeah, here’s an idea. Why doesn't Jordan just have Kyle literally stab Hal in the back.
    Okay, this "little brother" belief is what bothers me the most, Hal and Kyle have never been that close.

Besides, I don't know how this makes Kyle and Carol look bad, people can see other people despite of their exes.

Plus, you know that at some point down the road, they’re going to drop it and put Carol and Hal back together. They’ll probably bill this whole thing as Carol on a rebound or like Hal's relationship with Cowgirl. You know it. That romance has been an integral part of the GL mythology for 50+ years. Hal once even retired from the Corps to be with Carol. So, why not just let them be together? I’ll tell you why. Because Venditti and co. looked at the possibility of Hal and Carol actually being happy and said “Nah. Everything’s more interesting when there’s….CONFLICT!!!”
    Sorry, but no. Hal and Carol have been an on-and-off couple for decades, Hal had several different girlfriends over the course of his existence and Carol was even married to another man at one point.

It doesn't matter how people try to put it, their relationship is not essential.

Extraordinary Member

Okay, this "little brother" belief is what bothers me the most, Hal and Kyle have never been that close.

Besides, I don't know how this makes Kyle and Carol look bad, people can see other people despite of their exes.
    Uh, because Kyle came into the Corps long after Hal, and when Hal came back, Kyle was one of the Lanterns that came to his side, in spite of the whole Parallax thing. Plus, they bonded during the fight against Sinestro in Rebirth and when Hal helped Kyle purge himself of Parallax in Sinestro Corps War. So...yeah.

It looks bad on Carol's front because it almost invalidates all of the feelings she was shown to have before. If it was done organically, I wouldn't be complaining. However, what we got was Venditti's lame "I love you, but I can't be with you and love you at the same time" crap. I mean, that doesn't even make sense.

Sorry, but no. Hal and Carol have been an on-and-off couple for decades, Hal had several different girlfriends over the course of his existence and Carol was even married to another man at one point.

It doesn't matter how people try to put it, their relationship is not essential.
    Uh, but they always came back together is the point. I'm sorry, Rakzo, but you're pretty wrong on this front. Every interpretation of Hal and Carol outside of the comics has them shown as a couple or with some serious romantic tension between them: the GL animated series, the GL movie, and almost every appearance Hal has made in any other animated feature. Every comic couple goes through those ups and downs and moments of tension: Peter Parker and Mary Jane (has been on-again-off-again for quite some time, but they were married for 20 years and most people know of their relationship), Batman and Catwoman, Aquaman and Mera (okay, this one is pretty solid), Buddy and Ellen Baker (just almost got a divorce), etc, etc, etc. Hell, Superman and Lois Lane aren't even together at this moment, but they are probably getting back together in the long term. Its CLARK KENT and LOIS LANE, for Christ sake. They all break up and then get back together, again and again and again...because the fans love those relationships.

Many of them have also dated and been with other people. Spider-Man's other love interests alone can fill a book: Gwen Stacy, Carlie Cooper, Felicia Hardy, Liz Allen, Betty Brant, etc. etc. etc.

And I know Carol married another man at one point....only to get a divorce, and eventually end up back with Hal....See how that worked?
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 04-30-2014 at 06:58 PM.

Always Rakzo

Uh, because Kyle came into the Corps long after Hal, and when Hal came back, Kyle was one of the Lanterns that came to his side, in spite of the whole Parallax thing. Plus, they bonded during the fight against Sinestro in Rebirth and when Hal helped Kyle purge himself of Parallax in Sinestro Corps War. So...yeah.
    Yeah, no. Hal and Kyle don't spend that much time together when they're inside or out of the Corps, Guy feels better the status of "big brother" for Kyle based on their history.

Uh, but they always came back together is the point. I'm sorry, Rakzo, but you're pretty wrong on this front. Every interpretation of Hal and Carol outside of the comics has them shown as a couple or with some serious romantic tension between them: the GL animated series, the GL movie, and almost every appearance Hal has made in any other animated feature. Every comic couple goes through those ups and downs and moments of tension: Peter Parker and Mary Jane (has been on-again-off-again for quite some time, but they were married for 20 years and most people know of their relationship), Batman and Catwoman, Aquaman and Mera (okay, this one is pretty solid), Buddy and Ellen Baker (just almost got a divorce), etc, etc, etc. Hell, Superman and Lois Lane aren't even together at this moment, but they are probably getting back together in the long term. Its CLARK KENT and LOIS LANE, for Christ sake. They all break up and then get back together, again and again and again...because the fans love those relationships.
    Nope, I don't think so. You're talking about the relationship OUTSIDE the comics while I'm talking INSIDE them.

Hal had a lot of relationships besides Carol, I can't even count the amount of girls he had.

And I know Carol married another man at one point....only to get a divorce, and eventually end up back with Hal....See how that worked?
    Yeah, to create more drama.

Astonishing Member

I’m sorry, Rakzo, but I’m with twobit on this one. It DOES make no sense, especially in the larger context coming off of the Johns run. These are two characters that have known each other for years, and they’re just now “realizing” an attraction? The whole thing just makes Carol look fickle.
    Actually, New 52 continuity pitches it like Carol and Kyle know of each other before Kyle comes to her looking for Hal during the whole Third Army thing, but don't really know each other personally. If they've met before, it wasn't anything like the "knowing each other for years" you talk about here.

According to Justin Jordan interviews, Kyle thinks Hal is, "kind of a dick," so I'm not so sure of this supposed brotherly relationship of theirs. I don't mind the Carol/Kyle relationship. Carol doesn't belong to Hal Jordan.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, no. Hal and Kyle don't spend that much time together when they're inside or out of the Corps, Guy feels better the status of "big brother" for Kyle based on their history.
    Okay, then how about the title of "respected coworker" or "valued teammate"? Its still weird for Kyle and Carol to be an item. Hell, I would rather that they created a new character if they wanted to give Carol a rebound. I can handle her entertaining a romance with another guy, but her and Kyle? But, as Sacred Knight pointed out, maybe that's the point.

Nope, I don't think so. You're talking about the relationship OUTSIDE the comics while I'm talking INSIDE them.

Hal had a lot of relationships besides Carol, I can't even count the amount of girls he had.
    Yes, but Carol has always been the main one. That's why I cited those examples outside of the comics, because those usually represent a franchise boiled down to their key characteristics. Hal Jordan is one of the main Green Lanterns and Carol Ferris is his main love interest. And, hell, they were just together right until Venditti took over.

And, as I've said, many heroes have had multiple girlfriends/boyfriends, including even Superman. However, most of them also have their main love interests.

I just don't understand why Venditti and co. seem to be so keen on driving a wedge between Carol and Hal or are just opposed to telling stories with them as a couple. Spider-Man and Mary Jane were married for 20 years, so, it can work.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 04-30-2014 at 07:24 PM.