Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Justice League United, #1

"Justice League United" #1 picks up right where #0 left off, but Jeff Lemire and Mike McKone's new series is still busy assembling the team. There are some little bits that are fun, but on the whole it's slow-moving.

Full review here.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

"In many ways, "Justice League United" #1 is a standard, "this is what superhero books are like" comic. A team of heroes -- some who have worked together, others who are new to the mix -- are banded together on short notice to stop a new alien monster." --- Uh yeah, you are reading a superhero book about a team that just formed... That's kind of the point. I assume this same exact phrase will be copied into the next Guardians of the Galaxy review with one additional star for the Marvel grading curve at CBR.

If you don't understand McKone's art I'm certainly not going to explain it to you. There is a reason he was a legend probably before the reviewer started reading Curious George. Oh well, it's a good book folks, give it a try

Always Rakzo

Why do people even bother to read CBR's reviews?

I don't, I don't even care anymore, it just makes things all better and more positive for everyone.

Astonishing Member

suprised that the daemonites got a mention; and that they tangled with the czarnians and thanagar. by the sounds of it the daemonites and the ancient kryptonians caused a fair bit of negative press towards themselves

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    If you don't understand McKone's art I'm certainly not going to explain it to you. There is a reason he was a legend probably before the reviewer started reading Curious George. Oh well, it's a good book folks, give it a try
    Agree, he is complaining that the comic does what it needs to, though, if the review is too positive or too negative, there will be the planned backlash. The reviewer mentions that there is a panel where we only see Alanna's eyes and makes a vague reference to the picture seen in the preview where we only see Adam's mouth (whose impression says it all). Adam figures that heès way over his head and finds the suit. Alanna has the t-st-c-lar fortitude - ready to take on those who others fear - what emotion do we see in her eyes - what does it tell us?

The person seems not to see Mii watching the heroes fight the monster - but just watching rather than getting into the fight herself.

The guards that Alanna encounters in the elevator look somewhat familiar

Last edited by Lucette; 05-14-2014 at 01:40 PM. Reason: fix code

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    "In many ways, "Justice League United" #1 is a standard, "this is what superhero books are like" comic. A team of heroes -- some who have worked together, others who are new to the mix -- are banded together on short notice to stop a new alien monster." --- Uh yeah, you are reading a superhero book about a team that just formed... That's kind of the point. I assume this same exact phrase will be copied into the next Guardians of the Galaxy review with one additional star for the Marvel grading curve at CBR.

I agree. CBR reviews are always biased and they seem to hate Spurrier (seriously, a zero for X-Men Legacy and 1 for X-force #1!? The hell?).
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Just add back the two points CBR reviewers normally deduct from DC reviews and it is now a great review. Minus that last paragraph. That was...unnecessary. On topic, I thought it was a fun read. Enjoyed the pacing, story, and characterization. I'll happily be back for issue 2. McKone's art is always on-point.
    Bronze Age baby.
    OGG - Original Grim 'n Gritty

Punchedugly.com

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post

I don't, I don't even care anymore, it just makes things all better and more positive for everyone.
    I hear what you are saying. They don't have any influence on me, obviously, but I do feel like a response is needed when a quality book is given a poor review here because they do influence others. Some people wait to see the reviews or comments to decide whether to give a book a try. I think it would be a shame if anyone passed on this book because of a low review. I've long accepted that the grading curve here is:

DC = -1* to -2*
    Marvel = Varies from +1* to -1* depending on whether the creators are favored here (Fraction is always +1* for instance)
    Image = +1* to +2* always
    Pure Indie = +2* to +4* depending on how rudimentary the production was (the more rudimentary the better the score)
    Last edited by AlexanderLuthor; 05-14-2014 at 02:22 PM.

Read it, enjoyed it. I loved that splash page where Martian Manhunter trashed the (at that time) wood giant. I also liked to see Adam Strange trying to learn the hero ropes.

But Hawkman...Man. It hurt to see him get crumpled like that. Here's hoping he makes a swift recovery, and maybe get his hands dirty with some payback.

We all know it's a great book; a refreshing, different book that's going to provide readers with oodles of fun.

So, I suggest just ignoring this review and letting it fade into obscurity.
    WHO DAT?!!

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

I don't what this guy saw, but this was great book (9 out of 10 from me).

It's just refreshing to read something that almost a pure classic superhero story with a dash of the silver age in. With all of these gritty dark, epic scaled, or indie/personal story superhero comics out there; it's just nice to get something that's just fun and upbeat with more traditional superhero action.

This was a great issue and I loved the little jokes between GA and Animal Man. Also McKone's work from the 0 issue felt lacking but here it looked a lot like his older stuff that I loved so much. Solid Issue
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Does this reviewer even know how to separate personal bias from a review?

This comic was easily a 4/5, maybe even a 5/5.

Wow, with some of the posts in here I thought the reviewer gave the issue like a one or just half a star review. They only gave it a two. Not that egregious. Just add a half a star or a full star and they would have given the issue an average to an above average score.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post

Exactly. That's not just here, it's all reviewers in general. I take them all with a grain of salt. Over the years, I'll pay attention to the reviews of certain people that post on here before any reviewers review.