Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PlumeNoir View Post
    You're right, I'm not sure why I had it in my head that she was a year or two younger - but that doesn't change what I meant.

So, based upon Hal being an Air Force pilot, the training and schooling and then the experience, and then being GL for five years - he's, at least, 30. And thus, so is Carol.
    Yes, I was wrong earlier. In Zero Year Bruce Wayne is said to be 25...in the Batman timeline current stories are in Year 7...so he is 32. I would guess Hal to be around the same or maybe a year or two younger. If Carol is the same age then yes, she is in her early 30s

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Must be blind.

Nope, don't see it really.

Arisia was the most important love interest in Englehart's run, that proves my point.

Carol appeared during Jones' run sure, but she wasn't really Hal's love interest since it was pretty obvious that he didn't care that way for her anymore (Hell, they didn't even kiss).

And Marz just wrote a few issues with her, Ollie was the most important person for Hal during those days (start the fanfics!).
    Hal has never gone back with anyone but Carol.

In Jones run Hal and Carol were starting their relationship up again, but Emerald Twilight happened and Jones was forced to write an issue that wrote out Hal's supporting cast at the time. Hal cared very much about Carol and when Coast City when kaboom, Carol was the first person on his mind.

As for Justin Jordan, I'm very disappointed to hear that. I think you have good points, but I was quite happy with what Johns did with their relationship; to see it all go down the drain and to see it happen so poorly, along with everyone else that happened in Venditti’s run, made me quite unpleased about the book for a while.
    Last edited by Damos40; 05-01-2014 at 10:42 AM.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Damos40 View Post
    Hal has never gone back with anyone but Carol.
    That doesn't mean that they don't have an on-and-off relationship.

In Jones run Hal and Carol were starting their relationship up again, but Emerald Twilight happened and Jones was forced to write an issue that wrote out Hal's supporting cast at the time. Hal cared very much about Carol and when Coast City when kaboom, Carol was the first person on his mind.
    Hal cared about Carol but not so much in a romantic way anymore, the same happened with Arisia on that same run.

Spectacular Member

Okay a few things, if Hal and Carol weren't together, then how come they were sleeping together? They sure had something going off.

Secondly I can't believe the idea that Kyle is older than Hal, considering that Secret Origins made it pretty clear that Hal and Carol were exactly the same age. Also the reboot didn't seem to change anything serious, considering that Green Lantern was changed relatively intact (obviously because of Johns having a lot of clout).
    You can sleep with people and not have anything going on with them even if you have history. That's all that is. Sorry if I was misleading in Kyle's age relative to Hal...I was speaking to his age relative to Carol not Hal other than they're all pretty much in their 20s now so it doesn't matter. Pre-Flashpoint Kyle was 30 or older since his 10 year reunion would have placed him at 28 which was at least two years before Flashpoint hit (in comic time - we did have a full year in 52 with the Trinity taking that year off as well as another concrete year passing after. This isn't even counting No Man's Land which was supposed to take up a whole year and Y2K. So we can technically add 4 years at least, but I'm just throwing away 2 umm generously, for lack of a better word). Speaking of Flashpoint, for the most part the GL franchise was mostly left intact. Kyle's origin/early adventures got the most changes though and as such so did his age to fit in with the new universe timeline...I believe in New Guardians #1 page 1 at earliest. Clearly the Oblivion story/first time as Ion didn't happen anymore as we're seeing that story being told now only as the White Lantern instead among other details.

Anyways, yeah, sleeping around, even if there are feelings involved doesn't mean squat as-so-far-as any meaningful implication or determinant such as being in a relationship.
    Last edited by Tandaemonium; 05-01-2014 at 10:50 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tandaemonium View Post
    You can sleep with people and not have anything going on with them even if you have history. That's all that is. Sorry if I was misleading in Kyle's age relative to Hal...I was speaking to his age relative to Carol not Hal other than they're all pretty much in their 20s now so it doesn't matter. Pre-Flashpoint Kyle was 30 or older since his 10 year reunion would have placed him at 28 which was at least two years before Flashpoint hit (in comic time - we did have a full year in 52 with the Trinity taking that year off as well as another concrete year passing after. This isn't even counting No Man's Land which was supposed to take up a whole year and Y2K. So we can technically add 4 years at least, but I'm just throwing away 2 umm generously, for lack of a better word). Speaking of Flashpoint, for the most part the GL franchise was mostly left intact. Kyle's origin/early adventures got the most changes though and as such so did his age to fit in with the new universe timeline...I believe in New Guardians #1 page 1 at earliest. Clearly the Oblivion story/first time as Ion didn't happen anymore as we're seeing that story being told now only as the White Lantern instead among other details.

Anyways, yeah, sleeping around, even if there are feelings involved doesn't mean squat as-so-far-as any meaningful implication or determinant such as being in a relationship.
    Well yeah okay, sleeping with someone doesn't really mean much in the long run, but still Hal and Carol were obviously trying to have a meaningful relationship, before it all went boom.

As for the age thing, their likely in their thirties if we have anything to go by.
    Last edited by Damos40; 05-01-2014 at 10:58 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Again, not really.

Carol appeared during Jones' run sure, but she wasn't really Hal's love interest since it was pretty obvious that he didn't care that way for her anymore (Hell, they didn't even kiss).
    Uh huh. That's why in Jones' run, a good part was devoted to Hal finding Carol and restoring her sanity and also depicted him as pretty desperate to get her back, right? Hell, even Hal himself said once that Carol was the only girl that he ever went back to after having broken up before. Uh, there's a reason for that...

All the other love interests that Hal has had have faded away. Do you see anything really happening between him and Arisia now? Carol is really the only one that has come in and out of his life, being a major part for over 50 years. Again, there's a reason for that...

I know you like the current creative team on New Guardians – hell, I really do too – but that doesn't mean that we have to like everything about it. To some of us, the Kyle/Carol thing feels forced. Honestly, in the past few issues I've gotten more of the impression of a big sister-little brother thing going on between them. She was even teasing him when it was obvious that he was into Kala an issue or two ago.

And, to be realistic, its...probably not gonna last. At some point another writer, or even Jordan himself, may choose to "break up" Carol and Kyle (that is, if they form a full-fledged relationship) and then DC will be like, "Oh, yeah. We should put Hal and Carol back together." Like you said, Carol was married to another man before, and that didn't even last. So, yeah...
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 05-01-2014 at 11:17 AM.

Holy crap, how did I miss this?

Are you from a past century? And I'm not even talking about the 20th century.
    Huh??? Not sure what you're trying to communicate...

Extraordinary Member

double post

Extraordinary Member

Well yeah okay, sleeping with someone doesn't really mean much in the long run, but still Hal and Carol were obviously trying to have a meaningful relationship, before it all went boom.
    Um...exactly. I don't get why anyone is trying to dispute that fact. Hal went to Carol, told her he wanted to be serious, and she accepted...its that simple. Hell, she found a freakin' ring in his locker and, furthermore, she was happy when she found it. Like, if that doesn't spell "serious", what does?

I mean, should Geoff Johns or Tony Bedard have tagged on a full page explanation in the back of the issue saying, in big bold red lettering:

YES!! HAD THINGS NOT TRANSPIRED THE WAY THEY DID WITH SINESTRO AND THE GUARDIANS, HAL WOULD HAVE PROPOSED TO CAROL. FURTHERMORE, IF HE HAD, SHE WOULD HAVE SAID YES!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Jordan View Post
    As for me - I've got some stuff I'm pitching to DC right now, so hopefully something will come of that. In the non DC department, I've got a new creator owned ongoing starting in July from Image called Spread, as well as the final Luther Strode this fall.
    That's wonderful to hear! Is there any chance that what you're pitching has anything to do with Deathstroke? I thought your run on that title (however short it was) was incredible and I would love to see you return to the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Jordan View Post
    I'm not insulted or anything - you in particular seem pretty reasonable and are definitely not rude, which I appreciate. But I can't argue you into liking something, and I won't try.

I will say that for me, both the timeline and the reason work. I mean, I have absolutely been in love with people who I eventually realized I was not able to be IN a relationship with. Sometimes, as the song says, love just isn't enough. Now having said that, there is also the possibility that Carol is just wrong about Hal and her. What I will definitely tell you is true is that Hal and Carol's break up is more about her than him, and there will indeed be some exploration of that fairly soon.

On the timeline thing - well, Carol and Kyle and have known each other a while, and the adventures taking place in the New Guardians book have taken place over what I'd consider a decent stretch of time, and in stressful situations. So I feel like it's justified. But I wrote it, so I would, right?

As for me - I've got some stuff I'm pitching to DC right now, so hopefully something will come of that. In the non DC department, I've got a new creator owned ongoing starting in July from Image called Spread, as well as the final Luther Strode this fall.
    Yes! More Luther Strode!!

On the Kyle/Carol/Hal relationship:

Age is only a problem when is a minor involucred (*cough*Arisia*cough*), so if there are two years or ten, is irrelevant. But how would de if were the other way? Would be more acceptable. Quoting Booster Gold: "Older man, younger woman, everything ok, but when is the other way, bring on the torches".

Also, rememeber than a thrillseeker character as Hal is a womanizer: he can have a great love, but he will never settle with her. He will end searching greener pastures, same as Captain Kirk. That's the way we like him. (Me, at least). Why can't Carol try searching also for herself? Must she aways being waiting as Penelope for the return of Hal to home? She is also human. And she doesn't belongs to Hal.

To be fair, I always liked Jade as a girlfriend for Kyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Yes! More Luther Strode!!

On the Kyle/Carol/Hal relationship:

Age is only a problem when is a minor involucred (*cough*Arisia*cough*), so if there are two years or ten, is irrelevant. But how would de if were the other way? Would be more acceptable. Quoting Booster Gold: "Older man, younger woman, everything ok, but when is the other way, bring on the torches".

Also, rememeber than a thrillseeker character as Hal is a womanizer: he can have a great love, but he will never settle with her. He will end searching greener pastures, same as Captain Kirk. That's the way we like him. (Me, at least). Why can't Carol try searching also for herself? Must she aways being waiting as Penelope for the return of Hal to home? She is also human. And she doesn't belongs to Hal.

To be fair, I always liked Jade as a girlfriend for Kyle.
    I liked soranik x kyle.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sirzechs View Post
    I liked soranik x kyle.
    Me too!!!

10char

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Uh huh. That's why in Jones' run, a good part was devoted to Hal finding Carol and restoring her sanity and also depicted him as pretty desperate to get her back, right? Hell, even Hal himself said once that Carol was the only girl that he ever went back to after having broken up before. Uh, there's a reason for that...

All the other love interests that Hal has had have faded away. Do you see anything really happening between him and Arisia now? Carol is really the only one that has come in and out of his life, being a major part for over 50 years. Again, there's a reason for that...
    As I said before, during Jones' run there was not truly a resolution about their relationship, it has been on-and-off as usual.

I know you like the current creative team on New Guardians – hell, I really do too – but that doesn't mean that we have to like everything about it. To some of us, the Kyle/Carol thing feels forced. Honestly, in the past few issues I've gotten more of the impression of a big sister-little brother thing going on between them. She was even teasing him when it was obvious that he was into Kala an issue or two ago.

And, to be realistic, its...probably not gonna last. At some point another writer, or even Jordan himself, may choose to "break up" Carol and Kyle (that is, if they form a full-fledged relationship) and then DC will be like, "Oh, yeah. We should put Hal and Carol back together." Like you said, Carol was married to another man before, and that didn't even last. So, yeah...
    What you think this is about me praising the title without nothing any flaws? That's ridiculous, I have criticized it before for some aspects in the past.

The Kyle and Carol is not one of them, it shouldn't even be considered a flaw except for Hal/Carol shippers.

Um...exactly. I don't get why anyone is trying to dispute that fact. Hal went to Carol, told her he wanted to be serious, and she accepted...its that simple. Hell, she found a freakin' ring in his locker and, furthermore, she was happy when she found it. Like, if that doesn't spell "serious", what does?

I mean, should Geoff Johns or Tony Bedard have tagged on a full page explanation in the back of the issue saying, in big bold red lettering:

YES!! HAD THINGS NOT TRANSPIRED THE WAY THEY DID WITH SINESTRO AND THE GUARDIANS, HAL WOULD HAVE PROPOSED TO CAROL. FURTHERMORE, IF HE HAD, SHE WOULD HAVE SAID YES!
    But it didn't happen and this is the result we have.

Why do people keep focusing in things that didn't happen instead of the ones that are currently happening?

All-New Member

That's wonderful to hear! Is there any chance that what you're pitching has anything to do with Deathstroke? I thought your run on that title (however short it was) was incredible and I would love to see you return to the character.
    Sadly, no - I'd love to return to Deathstroke, though. I really enjoyed writing it and could have done a lot more with him.