The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Default New 52 Superman - Kryptonian first and foremost, or Earthman first and foremost?

Pre-COIE (Earth-One) Superman thought of himself as a Kryptonian first, and an Earthman second. His Kryptonian heritage was of central importance to him, and he identified with that heritage foremost. Pre-COIE Superman thought of himself as a visitor and "resident alien" on Earth.

Post-COIE Superman thought of himself as an Earthman first and a Kryptonian second. He valued his Kryptonian heritage, but it took a secondary position to his upbringing on Earth. Post-COIE Superman saw himself as a full citizen of Earth, not a mere visitor or resident alien.

Where does New 52 Superman stand on this matter?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

It all depends on the origin. IOW, it gets harder to answer the earlier Clark finds out who he is. Post-Crisis it was simple. He learned what he was in his teens, and even then knew squat about Krypton till sometime after he actually became Superman. It made total sense that he'd consider himself an Earthling first and foremost.

Now? He knows he's an alien and has powers as a child. He knows of Krypton and has even time-traveled before puberty. He's ensconsed in his Kryptonian and otherworldly nature so early on. But at the same time he loves Earth. I think if you twisted his arm, this Superman would consider himself an Earthling first too, on the simple fact that he is here, that it exists. Krypton is gone. But I don't see it as a distinction he even has the slightest desire to make, as I see him loving his Kryptonian heritage as much.

Amazing Member

In my opinion, I think current Superman cherishes both his Kryptonian heritage and his Earthling upbringing as much and both of these things makes him Superman. He learned from an early age that he was not from Earth but from some other planet in the universe and had all those experiences while growing up and considers both his Kryptonian and human names as his real name, if the moment when he is saying his names backwards to banish Vyndktvx gives any indication. I think it's more of a middle ground now than it was in the last 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by George Taylor View Post
    In my opinion, I think current Superman cherishes both his Kryptonian heritage and his Earthling upbringing as much and both of these things makes him Superman. He learned from an early age that he was not from Earth but from some other planet in the universe and had all those experiences while growing up and considers both his Kryptonian and human names as his real name, if the moment when he is saying his names backwards to banish Vyndktvx gives any indication. I think it's more of a middle ground now than it was in the last 10 years.
    Last 10 years? Try since he was created. Unless you are talking the first S &S books, there was always an attempt to define "which side" of his heritage/culture takes precedence.