Page 167 of 360 FirstFirst ... 67117157163164165166167168169170171177217267 ... LastLast
Results 2,491 to 2,505 of 5394

Thread: Latest orders!

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    Agreed. I love both runs, but his FF is better.
    When the three wise men give such clear advice, I'd most likely be foolish to ignore it.

I'll most likely buy JH's Fantastic Four/ FF run after reading Secret Warriors...I'd have to find I dislike Secret warriors to not go on to buy FF/FF.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    it's not really tragic, although there is some death in it. By oriental fiction I mean the type when the white man goes to the east and saves everyone (like Flash Gordon) because he is superawesome magic whiteman. Happens more than you would think some say even The Shadow is sort of like that or Iron fist and Doctor Strange although I would argue that in these cases the white men found redemption in eastern magic and wisdom and used it to make their western world better. Not trying to argue against causal racism but there are different levels and intentions.
    Anyhoodles, Habibi is not like the above but it has a middle eastern setting and some probably had issues because it is written and drawn by a white man even though with a lot of respect. It is not blasphemous at all (don't expect Ennis) it just uses religious themes and sexuality and mixes it with social issues and an unusual love story.
    Wait a minute... do i know the meaning of Tragic wrong ? doen't it mean sad story ? i always used it for sad, really sad stories and unforunate everyday stutation... and ofcouse it includes death since that's one of the most unfortunate, sad stuations.

I have never read Flash Gordon or anything with Super Awesome Magic Whiteman lol but that kind of brings The Avatar movie to my mind... interesting.

It's not blasphemous... oh heck... but i can understand, muslim people can't really handle blaphemy... the creator of the book would probably get some death letters or worse... :/

Quote Originally Posted by Batarang View Post
    Wait a minute... do i know the meaning of Tragic wrong ? doen't it mean sad story ? i always used it for sad, really sad stories and unforunate everyday stutation... and ofcouse it includes death since that's one of the most unfortunate, sad stuations.

I have never read Flash Gordon or anything with Super Awesome Magic Whiteman lol but that kind of brings The Avatar movie to my mind... interesting.

It's not blasphemous... oh heck... but i can understand, muslim people can't really handle blaphemy... the creator of the book would probably get some death letters or worse... :/
    I believe the classic definition of "Tragedy" is a story in which the heroes own decisions/ character lead to disaster. Especially IF its actually the heroes best qualities that lead to disaster. It might be a story, for example, where the heroes honesty and bravery lead him to confronting a corrupt dictator...and the hero dying as a result of that confrontation.

Plenty of sad stories...say a story about a kid dying through illness, say...are not technically tragedies. (But a story about a nurse who gets infected through risking contact with an infected patient would be.)

But...that strict definition of tragedy is probably getting restricted to English Lit pedants now, and probably (?) most people use "tragedy" and "really sad story" inter-change-ably.

But the above is all based on an hazy recollection of an English Lit class decades ago. So welcome correction, if I'm wrong.
    Last edited by JackDaw; 09-27-2016 at 12:37 PM.

yes that what basically tragic is but this story is not Some people die in it, the world is going down the toilet but the story is about two people and love and sexuality and religion and all that.
    Tragic story is like Fear Agent. It has all the spaceships and rayguns you can possibly want but it's about a man who does everything possible to save the people he loves but loses everything and everyone anyway.

It's not blasphemous because Thompson (it seems to me) respects the culture and the religion. He just has his own approach.

looking forward to discuss it more when you've read it although it was a few years ago for me.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Read Habibi last year and it really made a heavy impact on me. Great book and not at all disrespectful imo. Thompson tried really hard to respect the culture and religion whilw still telling a story with weight. I bet if Thompson was a Muslim no one would be complaining about it. Great book, but not for the faint of heart
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

All-New Member

Week #4 pickups. Small week but got a good chunk coming next week. Sixth Gun is Gunslinger Edition, now have caught up on the Gunslinger editions (volumes 1-3)

Quote Originally Posted by OriolesMagic18 View Post
    Week #4 pickups. Small week but got a good chunk coming next week. Sixth Gun is Gunslinger Edition, now have caught up on the Gunslinger editions (volumes 1-3)

quality over quantity! nice haul and that Gunslinger edition is very sexy.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    quality over quantity! nice haul and that Gunslinger edition is very sexy.
    Agree on both comments. OCD isn't happy that the style of gunslinger Vol 1 is different than the next 2. I like when all books have similar spines/styles, looks better on the shelf

Proof:
    Last edited by OriolesMagic18; 09-28-2016 at 08:34 PM.

Fantastic Member

OOP UPDATE

Looks like Volume One of AVENGERS BY HICKMAN OHC is going oop fast, as does/did Vol 2 of the FEAR AGENT LIBRARY EDITION

IMG_1804.jpg

My hauls for August-September.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by beastmaster283 View Post
    IMG_1804.jpg

Nice haul, so many books that they don't even fit in the picture and i really like your avatar, Starman rocks !

Nice haul, so many books that they don't even fit in the picture and i really like your avatar, Starman rocks !
    Thanks! Definitely one of favorites if not my favorite. I'm going to have to cut back for a bit! Aside from getting ASM vol 2, UXM vol 2, Clone Saga vol1 and maybe a few others....

IMG_1804.jpg

THAT is impressive.

IMG_1804.jpg

Ok considering this is a collab of two months worth its understandable that you got so much. But still: DAAAAANNNG!
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    I believe the classic definition of "Tragedy" is a story in which the heroes own decisions/ character lead to disaster. Especially IF its actually the heroes best qualities that lead to disaster. It might be a story, for example, where the heroes honesty and bravery lead him to confronting a corrupt dictator...and the hero dying as a result of that confrontation.

Plenty of sad stories...say a story about a kid dying through illness, say...are not technically tragedies. (But a story about a nurse who gets infected through risking contact with an infected patient would be.)

But...that strict definition of tragedy is probably getting restricted to English Lit pedants now, and probably (?) most people use "tragedy" and "really sad story" inter-change-ably.

But the above is all based on an hazy recollection of an English Lit class decades ago. So welcome correction, if I'm wrong.
    You're right. What you describe is (almost) the definition of a Shakespearean tragedy (fatal flaw within the tragic hero combined with external influences lead to his ruin). Nowadays a tragedy is considered anything that evokes pity and ends tragically, i.e. in failure or death. This is why I also have a problem calling Habibi a tragedy: IIRC there are certainly sad events that create empathy for the protagonist, but it ends rather hopeful.
    Last edited by LordJulius; 09-29-2016 at 09:01 AM.