Page 194 of 360 FirstFirst ... 94144184190191192193194195196197198204244294 ... LastLast
Results 2,896 to 2,910 of 5394

Thread: Latest orders!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by QComix View Post
    Yes they were released in English as 48 pages books by NBM Publishings : https://www.amazon.com/Wake-Vol-1-Fi...ds=Wake+morvan
    Thanks! 48 pgs?! wth. I see the latter volumes are combined tho. Really wish ANY publisher would put more of an effort to print more Euro stories in HC in the states.

Fantastic Member

finally got my Rachel Rising omnibus (paperback) from TFAW, the only place i could get it at a reasonable price (thanks to the $10 off the shipping coupon). i took the book out of shrink wrap and it turned out that about a hundred pages have slightly bent bottom outside corner for some reason, even though the packaging was good as usual. customer support guy knocked it down to the nick a& dent price, that is, half off. so basically the book cost me $24.75. i dare say that's pretty sweet.

IMG_20170116_194433.jpg IMG_20170116_194552.jpg IMG_20170116_194710.jpg

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by zaboraviti View Post
    finally got my Rachel Rising omnibus (paperback) from TFAW, the only place i could get it at a reasonable price (thanks to the $10 off the shipping coupon). i took the book out of shrink wrap and it turned out that about a hundred pages have slightly bent bottom outside corner for some reason, even though the packaging was good as usual. customer support guy knocked it down to the nick a& dent price, that is, half off. so basically the book cost me $24.75. i dare say that's pretty sweet.

IMG_20170116_194433.jpg IMG_20170116_194552.jpg IMG_20170116_194710.jpg
    Sis, you are fast One haul after another. I just finished reading Rachel Rising Omnibus 2 days ago and it was awesome. If you haven't read it before, a great treat awaits you. I'm glad that you got such a good deal for it btw.
    Last edited by Batarang; 01-17-2017 at 01:54 PM.

Incredible Member

WP_20170120_13_25_17_Pro.jpg

Recent arrivals, Creepax Volume is an absolutly gorgeous book

All-New Member

Found a holy grail (obviously the omnibus) at my LCS for $25!!!! And the other 3 books were $5 per too!

Quote Originally Posted by OriolesMagic18 View Post
    Found a holy grail (obviously the omnibus) at my LCS for $25!!!! And the other 3 books were $5 per too!

your LCS had absolutely no idea what they're selling. Amazing find!

The Complete Maus, 100 Bullets vol. 1 and Torpedo.

I'm really intrigued to read Maus and am looking forward to seeing what 100 Bullets is like but I can't wait for Torpedo. The little art I have seen is great.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dayle88 View Post
    The Complete Maus, 100 Bullets vol. 1 and Torpedo.

I'm really intrigued to read Maus and am looking forward to seeing what 100 Bullets is like but I can't wait for Torpedo. The little art I have seen is great.
    I should buy a copy of Maus, I read it once as a child, took it out of the school library. Just asked my girlfriend, she' Polish, if they read Maus growing up and she said she'd never heard of it which I thought was odd.

I take it IDW never got around to releasing that complete Torpedo hardcover.

Quote Originally Posted by drd View Post
    I should buy a copy of Maus, I read it once as a child, took it out of the school library. Just asked my girlfriend, she' Polish, if they read Maus growing up and she said she'd never heard of it which I thought was odd.

Uhm.... Just a slight warning. You might want to look up the anthropomorphism in Maus if you think of giving it to your gf at some point. I've found that many Polish people tend to react rather negatively to Spiegelman having chosen to depict them as pigs. Now what he wanted to achieve with his anthropomorphic depiction is the exact opposite - namely that these collective characterisations like those the Nazis used do not work (there are several instances in the book where that becomes clear, most obviously when Spiegelman draws himself wearing the mask of a mouse). But at first you only see that your people are shown as pigs, which can understandably be seen as rather offensive.

The reason why your gf has never heard of it could then be that it's not very popular there because of this percieved insult. It was first published in Poland in the 2000s, but accompanied by major protests. Another, rather more anecdotal piece of evidence, is that when I visited the library at Auschwitz a few years ago (one of the most extensive collections of literature on the Holocaust in the world), there were several GNs there, like Kubert's Yosel, but a copy of Maus was nowhere to be found - something I found rather odd considering its reception and standing around the world.

Maus is published in Hungary though they even put up pages of it on the subway but I don't think the majority of the people know what is that. Other holocaust stuff is quite well known though so it might just be the medium.
    Personally I never had an interest reading it. I'm sure it's brilliant but I just don't need another holocaust story. I know it was horrible and would just make me feel awful.

Hey, I'm polish, I remember I read it first time Xmas '01, found it in my library and at that time I was reading like madman: loved Holocaust or war books.

Just remember comics are still considered by majority in Poland as a literature for kids, boys mostly. Our market is changing and growing but I wouldn't say it's a big US for example. Marvel is popular, then we have lots of reprints of old comics from 70's and 80's, funny fact is some of those titles were filled with Russian propaganda but we have that big nostalgia factor. I've never felt bad that Poles are shown as pigs in Maus, in fact I found it rather funny, but I'm not a patriotic person, I despise patriotism and everything around it. I remember some protest etc. can't remember how big they were, but Poles are touchy when it comes to history or important history figures, specially when the subject is considered as negative. We have all this 'patriotic' movement now, very popular among young people who never experienced conflict or war or even censorship from old Russia, when Poland is viewed as a major power in Europe. Poles have big complex about history let's say from 16th century when Poland was in major leagues but it's not anymore now.

Incredible Member

I'm aware of the anthropomorphism in maus, but yeah that's part of the point in book, these labels and stereotypes don't work and fall apart the minute you look to closely at them. I just figured what with the international awards and acclaim and the polish heritage of the book it'd be something they'd be more proud of.

I'm not terribly worried about her getting offended by the book, we've been together for something like 12 years now its not like she'll break up with me because of art spieglman, right? Right?

I'm aware of the anthropomorphism in maus, but yeah that's part of the point in book, these labels and stereotypes don't work and fall apart the minute you look to closely at them. I just figured what with the international awards and acclaim and the polish heritage of the book it'd be something they'd be more proud of.

I'm not terribly worried about her getting offended by the book, we've been together for something like 12 years now its not like she'll break up with me because of art spieglman, right? Right?
    As I said, it's comic book, so wouldn't get that many recognition. Also, Poles have really big problems when deal with black pages of our history. Ask your GF.

Fantastic Member

small but long awaited haul
    everybody knows Massive, no surprises here
    The Complete Cul de Sac - i have mixed feelings about this edition. the slipcase is great, very sturdy cardboard, cloth-covered sides. but the two paperbacks could be better quality - the paper stock is way inferior to that of, say, Calvin & Hobbes collection - i'm not saying i want glossy pages, but they should be much thicker than this. i'd wanted to get that strip for such a long time but something always seemed more important. and now Richard Thompson is gone...
    (i know Labyrinth the Ultimate Visual History is not a comic book but i'd been waiting three months for it to finally make it to me. and frankly thought it never would, and it was killing me because both US and UK editions are rather expensive now, while i got mine for 28 EUR incl. shipping. so i'm a very happy bunny today)

001.jpg 002.jpg
    Last edited by zaboraviti; 01-25-2017 at 12:32 PM.

Amazing Member

This week's haul. Most are from IST except Quantum and Woodys and They're Not Like Us. Those are from the amazon market place. Excited to continue on my Valiant reading. I'll be ordering some other Valiant tpbs and OHCs in the next few weeks.

IMG_0434.jpg